UK Gamers rate Wii as 'best ever console'

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

snowkatt

Re: UK Gamers rate Wii as 'best ever console'

Post by snowkatt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:48 pm

killbot wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:the only way the thread will get locked is when people like you start peppering Darran with needless complaints, that seems to be "our way here"
Not only are comments like this needlessly provocative, they aren't even accurate. How many complaints have I made, eh? Go on, since you're clearly privvy to that information. Unless, y'know, you're just indulging in complete and utter conjecture.
and you are rising to the bait
best to leave it and ignore comments like that really
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:55 pm

snowkatt wrote:
killbot wrote:
HalcyonDaze00 wrote:the only way the thread will get locked is when people like you start peppering Darran with needless complaints, that seems to be "our way here"
Not only are comments like this needlessly provocative, they aren't even accurate. How many complaints have I made, eh? Go on, since you're clearly privvy to that information. Unless, y'know, you're just indulging in complete and utter conjecture.
Fair point.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Flint

Post by Flint » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:11 pm

The trouble with best console lists is that everybody uses different criteria, some pick purely based on the games, others on looks, reliability, value for money, ease of use, loading times, additional features etc. The Wii actually scores high on most of those points.

Even amongst those sub-sections there's differences.
If you're judging by games do you count ports, backward compatibility, games that never made it to this country, multi-format games and download services?
If you're judging by reliability it was a pain in the arse to get a NES working but most of them still work today where many modern consoles work fine for years before breaking down completely, which one do you judge as most reliable?
Although most people clearly aren't voting on by reliability based on the 360's high ranking.

And what's with the irrational stance against Game customers, I'm guessing most gamers from have bought something from them down the years no matter how casual or hardcore they are.
Last edited by Flint on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:16 pm

It's all Hitler

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:25 pm

koopa42 wrote:It's all Hitler
and its sequel hitler on ice ?

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:25 pm

Ice Ice Hitler

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:39 pm

Right....completely ignoring pretty much every comment on the thread so far, I'll put my tuppence worth in.

I'm honestly surprised that either the PS1 or PS2 didn't top the list. GAME's customer's are mostly casual gamers.....a massive chunk of PS1 & PS2's audience were also casual gamers and I'd have thought one of those would be the console they'd have likely grown up with, or got back into gaming with. Plus they've probably got the most games that most people are familiar with between them.

Also really surprised to see SNES above Game Boy as well, even though I'd (personally) rate it above the Mega Drive :wink: (but that's probably only due to me owning one and a largish selection of games for it before I got a Mega Drive to be fair).

I was initially thinking it was weird to see N64 on there and not Gamecube, but maybe some of the voters had in mind that original Wii consoles could play Gamecube games anyway, as well as download NES and a load of other consoles' games.

Certainly an eye opening list at any rate.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:41 pm

koopa42 wrote:Ice Ice Hitler

oh that is what it was called in the usa ?

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:43 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:Right....completely ignoring pretty much every comment on the thread so far, I'll put my tuppence worth in.

* snippy*

Certainly an eye opening list at any rate.

its certainly a very interesting list for a bunch of "casuals"

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:58 pm

I'm not sure how someone who plays 'games' is anything other than 'a gamer', but anyway...

The lack of the Dreamcast at number 1 spot shows how wrong this poll is. I shall be entering any thread that even hints at descending into a nintendo argument with Dreamcast fanboyism.

(actually, the poll isn't that bad really, I thought it would be far worse. Slightly surprised that newer consoles, xbox/gamecube, didn't get in their really, but pleasently surprised it was quite rounded. I half expected the NES to be second, I was coming onto this thread to see the forum implode on itself in rabid rage ;)

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:01 pm

The Wii WAS the best console ever....for motion controls...and getting fit....other than that I don't think so.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:08 pm

AmigaJay wrote:The Wii WAS the best console ever....for motion controls...and getting fit....other than that I don't think so.
Also, the METRO newspaper here in the UK informs us that,
Amanda Flowers: Nintendo’s Wii fit turned me into a sex addict

Nintendo’s Wii Fit game may claim to help you get fit, but after taking a tumble from her balance board, 24-year-old Amanda Flowers claims she has become a sex addict.

Following a fall from her keep-fit game board, the catering worker suffered nerve damage, diagnosed as persistent sexual arousal syndrome, resulting in a heightened state of arousal.

She told the Daily Star: “It began as a twinge down below before surging through my body. Sometimes it built up into a trembling orgasm.”

Flowers now finds herself ‘turned on’ by the slightest vibration, from washing machines through to mobile phones and requires at least 10 sex sessions a day.

She stated: “With no cure I just have to try to control my passion by breathing deeply. Hopefully one day I’ll find a superstud who can satisfy me.”
Source: http://metro.co.uk/2010/04/15/amanda-fl ... ct-242616/
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:16 pm

Well that's it then. The Wii IS the best console ever. It can get even the geekiest gamer laid.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:14 pm

snowkatt wrote:
killbot wrote:
Got £100 riding on Page 5 :lol:

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:34 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:I thought the more interesting results from said GAME customers' survey was that of the 'best years for gaming',
Top Five Years for Gaming

1. 1996 (14%): Tomb Raider and Crash Bandicoot on the PlayStation and Nintendo 64 launched. We were singing along to Baddiel and Skinner’s Three Lions and Brit Pop was at its height

2. 2002 (13%): Halo and Elder Scrolls III on the Xbox and Grand Theft Auto Vice City. BBC 6 Music arrived on our airwaves and Arsenal won the FA Cup

3. 1991 (12%): Street Fighter II and Super Mario World on SNES and Lemmings was out on the PC. It was the start of the Iraq war and the year Bryan Adams made history when (Everything I Do) I Do It For You entered its 15th successive week at number one

4. 1985 (11%): Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt and Donkey Kong Jr on the NES and Ultima IV and Oregon Trail on the PC. It was the year Eastenders went on air and the mullet was considered the most desirable hairstyle for men and women alike

5. 1980 (10%): Pac-Man and Centipede in the arcade, Space Invaders on the Atari 2600 and Zork on the PC. It was the year John Lennon was shot dead and David Bowie was at number one with Ashes to Ashes
Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/game-cus ... le/0113110
My personal favorite console ever would have to be the PS1 with the Dreamcast and Megadrive 2nd & 3rd. As for the best year for games i made a new topic regarding it. games that were released in the 12 months of 1998:

Resident Evil 2
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Xenogears
Parasite Eve
Starcraft
Unreal
F-Zero X
Metal Gear Solid
Fallout 2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Tekken 3
Star Ocean: The Second Story (JAP)
Pokemon Red/Blue
Grim Fandango
1080 Snowboarding
Banzo-Kazooie
Half Life
Zelda: Ocarina Of Time
Tomb Raider III
Sonic Adventure
Baldurs gate
Shining Force III (US/EU)
Gran Turismo (US/EU)
Ridge Racer Type 4 (JAP)
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six

I really can't think of any year that comes close to this for sheer quality and variety and i have probably missed quite a few top titles released that year. I know it's subjective but everyone must surely see how much quality this year offered. Nothing in the 00's has come even remotely close i.m.o.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.