The 50Hz/60Hz question

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Spector

The 50Hz/60Hz question

Post by Spector » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:35 am

I'm not referring to the unforgiveable 50Hz Wii re-releases of classic games but to the golden era PAL consoles. When I first used the NTSC Atari 2600 ten years ago on a TV that would accept it, I was shocked at the larger picture and- in particular -the speed due to the 20% difference of 60Hz over 50Hz. There was no going back. The same problem of course applies to all the later consoles, such as the MD and SNES. I would never play 80s/90s PAL releases now because they have no value to me other than nostalgia, but does that apply to other gamers? Do you play the proper NTSC versions of 8/16-bit games, or do you not care about the fact they are slowed down and shitty?
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

Mootown

Re: The 50Hz/60Hz question

Post by Mootown » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:41 am

Always had import consoles since the days of Megadrive - I want to play my games as they were intended.

The one that always puzzled me though was the C64 - it had borders all around the screen - ie not squashed. What does an NTSC C64 do with the picture? Is it full screen? Also a lot of the games I think were programmed in the UK anyway, so the 'correct' speed was 50hz not 60hz..? I think? Does anyone know?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:47 am

I always play PAL for games I own. Sonic with music and gameplay running too fast just sounds and feels wrong to me for example.

For new games I'm emulating that I don't have that experience of, I'll tend to play NTSC just because it gives a better match for a 60Hz PC screen.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:55 am

I really don't care, never seen the fuss over having 60hz everything.

Vyothric

Post by Vyothric » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:23 am

See sig.
LastFM | Mods | Music | Twitter | YouTube

Zwischen Leere und Nichts

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:31 am

I did not used to care at all, until I played the Saturn X-Men Children Of the Atom running on an import Saturn, the speed difference was huge against the horrible bordered PAL version, since then I have had that console switched, a Snes, Megadrive/CD/32X chipped, to play unoptimised games at full speed, it was like playing some games from new, F-Zero needed much faster reactions, and just feels better for instance.
Last edited by adippm82 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:32 am

Basically what the Laird said with the proviso of "as long as the 50Hz version isn't a lazy bodge job".

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:47 am

Which is most 16 bit era games, and 32bit titles created outside of Europe.

60hz is a must. Games look and feel better and in the case of 16 bit titles, more arcade like. Why anyone would want to play an inferior product is beyond me. It's like having a mint CRT and not using RGB.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:00 pm

Spector wrote:Do you play the proper NTSC versions of 8/16-bit games, or do you not care about the fact they are slowed down and shitty?
I generally play most of my Mega Drive/Genesis games using my Sega Nomad hooked up to the TV.

Playing games such as Sonic The Hedgehog on my PAL Mega Drive is plain awful now I'm used to playing the game as Sega originally intended so I no longer bother.

Sonic The Hedgehog NTSC vs PAL - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSSYo0npMhA
Sonic The Hedgehog: 50hz vs 60hz - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYdHUZlb7qs

I think any reasonable person would agree after having viewed and listened to those videos that the PAL version is laughable in comparison to the full speed NTSC version in 60Hz.

As for 32-bit consoles, my Sega Saturn is a white Japanese model which has been fully modded so I can play Saturn games from all three regions in 50Hz or 60Hz. It's a switchless mod too which I think looks pretty cool.

After that, of course, came the Dreamcast where the 60Hz option was present in most, but not all, PAL games. I once hoped that the advent of Dreamcast would see 60Hz gaming in PAL regions become the standard but for whatever reasons it didn't quite pan out that way on other consoles until the following console generation.
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:09 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote: I think any reasonable person would agree after having viewed and listened to those videos that the PAL version is laughable in comparison to the full speed NTSC version in 60Hz.
I guess I am unreasonable then :roll:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:12 pm

The Laird wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote: I think any reasonable person would agree after having viewed and listened to those videos that the PAL version is laughable in comparison to the full speed NTSC version in 60Hz.
Ha! Well aren't you the guy who said you can't tell the difference between viewing a movie on DVD and Blu-ray Disc? Time to get yourself along to Specsavers, mate! :mrgreen:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:12 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
The Laird wrote:
Ha! Well aren't you the guy who said you can't tell the difference between viewing a movie on DVD and Blu-ray Disc? Time to get yourself along to Specsavers, mate! :mrgreen:

censored's sake! Just nine replies down and the first rolleyes icon! You two bruvs are always arguing - no tea for you tonight!!
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:15 pm

The Laird wrote:
Happily ignorant I would say!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:16 pm

nakamura wrote:
The Laird wrote:
Happily ignorant I would say!
Spot-on, mate! :lol:
Spector wrote:censored's sake! Just nine replies down and the first rolleyes icon! You two bruvs are always arguing - no tea for you tonight!!
That's what she said! :lol:

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:18 pm

I'd never choose a crap quality NTSC picture over a high quality PAL one.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V