Jag and 3DO 20 years old this year.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

will2097

Jag and 3DO 20 years old this year.

Post by will2097 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:48 am

Might have missed it, but are they getting the coming of age treatment this year :)

Just wondering.

Many Thanks.

MattyC64c

Re: Jag and 3DO 20 years old this year.

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:12 am

It's funny, but never actually seen a real Jag console in action. I only ever saw them on display as far as I can remember. I recall watching people playing on a 3DO in an independent gaming shop 1994. The game being played Road Rash and I was very impressed by the graphics at the time, but horrified at the price the unit was going for - something like £400!

Suffice as to say, I never owned one.

Can the Jag and the 3DO be emulated easily?

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:31 am

3DO is emulated easily enough:http://www.fourdo.com/

Jaguar. I've had mixed results emulating that.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:54 am

Cheers. I may give that a go a little later :D

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:59 am

I'm hoping to get both machines covered. I've got a writer in mind, but biggest concerns are sourcing machines and being able to take suitable screenshots.
We're on good terms with Trip, so I'm hoping we'll get some good insight into the machine from him.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:37 pm

will2097 wrote:Might have missed it, but are they getting the coming of age treatment this year :)

Just wondering.

Many Thanks.
hopefully not, I still have nightmares about sinking near £500 on the 3DO and and although the jag never cost me much money its an even worse machine. A couple of lines in the news section will be more than enough.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:56 pm

If you go after 3DO, can you please do a small box-out on whether the designers saw it as "Amiga mk. II"? AFAIK it had lots of common thinking in the OS parts - dunno about the hw. And a lot of the people behind it was ex-Amiga of course.

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:29 pm

Own both Jaguar (+CD) and 3DO (and 3DO Blaster)
Never liked the 3DO,somehow a very awkward machine to use, heavy and huge. Joe of DP was a huge 3DO fan though.
Jaguar, love hate relation ship with it. Good machine, way ahead of its time, 64 bit of course, no doubt about that, but most of the games are just awful.
I remember going to Virgin shop in Reading Christmas 93 to try and get one of those pre-ordered machines (maybe someone changed his mind), but no go. Had to wait until mid 94 to finally purchase one from Daniels in Windsor, still got the receipt.

Did manage to buy Gorf cheap back in 07, that's my favourite game on Jaguar, and the only console/computer version with all levels.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:50 pm

kleinemaus wrote:Did manage to buy Gorf cheap back in 07, that's my favourite game on Jaguar, and the only console/computer version with all levels.
I thought only the numbered Special Release versions in the white DVD case of said Jag CD homebrew game came with the mini-poster. Interesting.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

kleinemaus

Post by kleinemaus » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:25 pm

Recently the white DVD case version sold on ebay UK, the seller said no mini-poster came with his version:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorf-CD-Atari-J ... 7675.l2557

A few years ago I've seen a white DVD case version sell on ebay USA, also, no mini-poster. The mini-poster was sold with both, randomly, that's what I read on Jag forum.
I reckon the 50 LE white case versions got the mini-poster, and a few blue cases got the mini-poster because Steven had some left over.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I'm hoping to get both machines covered. I've got a writer in mind, but biggest concerns are sourcing machines and being able to take suitable screenshots.
We're on good terms with Trip, so I'm hoping we'll get some good insight into the machine from him.
I have 250+ of 3DO UK/US releases and a lot of the Japanese ones. I also have things like the FMV module and Memory Module and all the UK 3DO Magazines. If there is anything I can do to help, it would be a pleasure on my part. Screenshots are a doddle too. If they want to borrow kit, I have no problem with that either.

Will

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:35 pm

kleinemaus wrote:Recently the white DVD case version sold on ebay UK, the seller said no mini-poster came with his version:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorf-CD-Atari-J ... 7675.l2557

A few years ago I've seen a white DVD case version sell on ebay USA, also, no mini-poster. The mini-poster was sold with both, randomly, that's what I read on Jag forum.
I reckon the 50 LE white case versions got the mini-poster, and a few blue cases got the mini-poster because Steven had some left over.
Yep, I'd imagine those two sellers had most likely lost the mini-poster. Mine certainly has the mini-poster included.

Yep, if Steve had some left over it sounds feasible that he may have put them in with some of the blue case versions.

There have been some counterfeits doing the rounds too of course but that's another story.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:37 pm

Quite looking forward to seeing big pieces on these two.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:43 pm

I was in fact telling Darran about this myself just the other day!

I really look forward to seeing both of these great machines given the tribute they deserve in the pages of RG 8)
kleinemaus wrote: A few years ago I've seen a white DVD case version sell on ebay USA, also, no mini-poster. The mini-poster was sold with both, randomly, that's what I read on Jag forum.
I have the blue version with the poster, I believe 50 were sold with the poster then any following copies made didn't get it. I know Steve Scavone very well personally, very talented guy indeed when it comes to the Jag, there is nothing he doesn't know about the hardware and how it can perform in the right hands.
Last edited by The Laird on Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:59 am

This would be ace. I've been a 3DO fan (and owner of an FZ-1 model) for several years now and I'm just getting into the Jaguar so pieces on either would be fantastic reads :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.