Jag and 3DO 20 years old this year.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Lost Dragon
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:59 pm

Re: Jag and 3DO 20 years old this year.

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:37 pm

nakamura wrote:It was like that with the PS1. Rapid Reload was ignored a launch and is now a cult classic and worth a mint as a result!
Tell me about it.Rapid Reload and a damn sight more (In The Hunt etc) pretty much sneered at by the press at the time as not being the sort of thing you'd expect to find on a state-of-the art, 32bit RISC based CD console. 3D at time of the PS1 era espically was seen as the benchmark, rather than advancing 2D even further.

User avatar
nakamura
Posts: 7582
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Jag and 3DO 20 years old this year.

Post by nakamura » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:44 pm

Great shout on In The Hunt. I never even got around to playing it!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Lost Dragon
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:59 pm

Re: Jag and 3DO 20 years old this year.

Post by Lost Dragon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:50 pm

nakamura wrote:Great shout on In The Hunt. I never even got around to playing it!
:D Had them both, traded both (with folk on here i'm sure, so at least i know they went to good homes).

Currently loving Gunhound Ex on PSP which 'feels' like a return to the glory days of the 16 Bit console era.

Lost Dragon
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:59 pm

Re: Jag and 3DO 20 years old this year.

Post by Lost Dragon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:28 am

Jez San 'Look at the 3DO+Jaguar.Both of them are trying to outdo each other on pixels per sec, 3DO claiming 50 Million per sec, Jaguar claiming 850 million per sec.Both numbers are actually wrong and Atari is just playing the numbers game-they are talking about a 1 bit pixel, a black and white screen.Nobody wants a B+W screen, so divide it by 16 or more-24 bits even.We don't really believe the numbers game'.

Don't think i've put this quote up before, sheds light on just how false Atari's claims on Jaguar hardware could be though (not that 3DO were any better mind...)

User avatar
Rich@Option4Studios
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:25 am
Location: Bournemouth

Re: Jag and 3DO 20 years old this year.

Post by Rich@Option4Studios » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:25 pm

I purchased a Goldstar 3DO when the Amiga magazines finally went. It was a cheap stop gap for me and I hadn't played a Playstation at all. With that in mind, we had immense fun with the 3DO especially Killing Time, Return Fire and Fifa Soccer. It was all a step up from playing Doom and Alien Breed 3D 2 on an accelerated Amiga. I'm definitely glad we didn't go straight onto a Playstation and had a chance to experience it.

I don't remember ever having urges to buy a Jaguar though. The vibes was that it was an inferior machine.

Lost Dragon
Posts: 849
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:59 pm

Re: Jag and 3DO 20 years old this year.

Post by Lost Dragon » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:40 pm

Rich@Option4Studios wrote:I purchased a Goldstar 3DO when the Amiga magazines finally went. It was a cheap stop gap for me and I hadn't played a Playstation at all. With that in mind, we had immense fun with the 3DO especially Killing Time, Return Fire and Fifa Soccer. It was all a step up from playing Doom and Alien Breed 3D 2 on an accelerated Amiga. I'm definitely glad we didn't go straight onto a Playstation and had a chance to experience it.

I don't remember ever having urges to buy a Jaguar though. The vibes was that it was an inferior machine.
Would'nt say Jaguar was 'inferior' hardware, flawed in terms of crippling bugs perhaps and could really have done with hardware texture-mapping, but it offered it's own set of strengths, plus your talking a cart based console VS a CD based one, so 3DO had luxury of streaming textures etc off CD, which standard Jaguar did'nt (mentioned Need For Speed developers streaming tricks improved draw distance etc that otherwise would'nt have been possible, earlier in the thread).

It sadly lacked the range of quality software 3DO had:No: Fifa/Return Fire/Starfighter/Bladeforce/Space Hulk/Madden/Need For Speed/SSF2/Killing Time/AITD/WCIII etc etc.A superior version of Doom and stand out games like AVP, Iron Solider 1+2, Tempest 2000 etc just were'nt enough to raise it above the ranks of the more dissapointing games.

As mentioned in this thread, both companies (3DO+Atari) made very unrealistic claims about 'power' of the hardware, so take any vibes about which was more powerful with healthy dose of salt.

:wink:

User avatar
Rich@Option4Studios
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:25 am
Location: Bournemouth

Re: Jag and 3DO 20 years old this year.

Post by Rich@Option4Studios » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:41 pm

Lost Dragon wrote:
Rich@Option4Studios wrote:I purchased a Goldstar 3DO when the Amiga magazines finally went. It was a cheap stop gap for me and I hadn't played a Playstation at all. With that in mind, we had immense fun with the 3DO especially Killing Time, Return Fire and Fifa Soccer. It was all a step up from playing Doom and Alien Breed 3D 2 on an accelerated Amiga. I'm definitely glad we didn't go straight onto a Playstation and had a chance to experience it.

I don't remember ever having urges to buy a Jaguar though. The vibes was that it was an inferior machine.
Would'nt say Jaguar was 'inferior' hardware, flawed in terms of crippling bugs perhaps and could really have done with hardware texture-mapping, but it offered it's own set of strengths, plus your talking a cart based console VS a CD based one, so 3DO had luxury of streaming textures etc off CD, which standard Jaguar did'nt (mentioned Need For Speed developers streaming tricks improved draw distance etc that otherwise would'nt have been possible, earlier in the thread).

It sadly lacked the range of quality software 3DO had:No: Fifa/Return Fire/Starfighter/Bladeforce/Space Hulk/Madden/Need For Speed/SSF2/Killing Time/AITD/WCIII etc etc.A superior version of Doom and stand out games like AVP, Iron Solider 1+2, Tempest 2000 etc just were'nt enough to raise it above the ranks of the more dissapointing games.

As mentioned in this thread, both companies (3DO+Atari) made very unrealistic claims about 'power' of the hardware, so take any vibes about which was more powerful with healthy dose of salt.

:wink:
Yeah sorry, I wasn't really saying it was fact definitely just a vibe or impression at the time. It could have been a combination of a less funny looking joypad, range of games and the chunky size of the 3DO. My limited teenage brain probably saw the 3DO box as more powerful looking :lol: But you're absolutely right, it may have been a closer gap in reality.

At least both made an attempt to be better than the last generation..I'm looking at you Commodore and the Amiga CD32!

User avatar
RodimusPrime
Posts: 4141
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Re: Jag and 3DO 20 years old this year.

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:24 pm

Any Jag owners tried these out. I was thinking about picking one up but not sure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gamepad-Boome ... OSwGYVXA8A~

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Jag and 3DO 20 years old this year.

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:44 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Any Jag owners tried these out. I was thinking about picking one up but not sure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gamepad-Boome ... OSwGYVXA8A~
Not used them myself but have been reliable informed that they are absolutely terrible. They are also useless for the vast majority of games because there is no number pad.

User avatar
binaryRooster
Posts: 693
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:28 pm
Location: Saturn

Re: Jag and 3DO 20 years old this year.

Post by binaryRooster » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:30 pm

The Laird wrote:
RodimusPrime wrote:Any Jag owners tried these out. I was thinking about picking one up but not sure.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gamepad-Boome ... OSwGYVXA8A~
Not used them myself but have been reliable informed that they are absolutely terrible. They are also useless for the vast majority of games because there is no number pad.
"It can be used in two positions - on the table or in your hands" :lol:

3fruits
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:48 pm
Location: london
Contact:

Re: Jag and 3DO 20 years old this year.

Post by 3fruits » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:12 pm

I have a 3do u can use

DaveDoc1984
Posts: 160
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:44 pm

Re: Jag and 3DO 20 years old this year.

Post by DaveDoc1984 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:09 pm

I have been tempted to buy a 3DO on a few occasions but have always passed it up. I would probably only play FIFA and Need For Speed (which of course is a different version compared to Saturn, PlayStation and PC). Plus I would need to RGB mod the 3DO in order to get the best picture quality out of it for my setup.

As for the Jag? Not a machine that really jumps out at me. Too many woeful games and that controller? good god!
In to Retro Gaming Pickup's? Light hearted reviews of both Modern Day and Retro Video Games? Check out my YouTube Channel!

http://www.youtube.com/DaveDoc1984
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1ESj3JPPnT

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest