a decade only

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Liamh1982

Re: a decade only

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:37 pm

90s - it's what I grew up with.
Or is that explanation just a bit too easy?
Easy - but true.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:41 pm

snowkatt wrote:if you could play games from one decade only for the rest of your life
what decade woudl that be ?
the systems dont matter much just the decade
The 90s

Not just because it is naturally the decade I most associate with - but I always view the mid 90's in particular as a sort of Golden Age. This was the period just before arcades started dying a death, and 16bit Consoles were really hitting their stride. Aracde games in this period were just amazing - lots of Street Fighter, Metal Slug, Crazy Taxi, Mortal Kombat II, Sega Rally, Virtua Fighter and Tekken - the list is lengthy, long and very varied.

I do play games from the 80's, but as they don't hold any true nostalgic value, I wouldn't want to play them for very lengthy periods of time. Sure there were classics, but there was no Daytona for a start.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:03 pm

Out of those choices it's without doubt the 90s for me.

We had the Lynx, Mega Drive, Saturn, Jaguar and Dreamcast. What a golden decade for home gaming.

Also we saw amazing coin-ops too throughout that period.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:09 pm

What a horrible choice.

On the one hand nostalgia fills me with joy, so i'd have to say 80's.....on the other hand i'd have to say 2000's, as that was when my beloved Gamecube was born (ahh, bless :) ) and finally on the other hand (do i have three hands?? :? ) i'd have to say now! Online gaming and fabulously realised worlds to explore.

Hmmmmm.....

dammit! 80's!! nostalgia wins in my mind every time. Besides, music was the best back then, too. 8)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:14 am

For me the 00's edge out the 90's, to be honest I don't think it would bother me too much if I never played a game from the 80s again. :o
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:20 am

Brought up in the 80's, LOVED the excitement of seeing 8 bit computers arrive, tons of games appear and get better and better

I'm torn though ! The 90's was great with the internet/PC's getting more popular, i had a fair few years out of retro gaming after the Amiga but i got back into it late 90's

00's i loved with Pocket PC's being popular in the early years and of course the ipod touch later on which i'm a huge fan of.

But for me it has to be....

90's

I had a Gameboy (best handheld device there was, not any of those laughable battery chugging colour bricks !), but seriously when you think of the 90's as a golden age no one thinks of it as a golden age due to the Lynx/Saturn/Jaguar, talk about biased ! Dont mean to have another console slagging off war but lets try and be a bit unbiased ??? Its like an Oric /Dragon owner saying it was a golden age in the 80's due to the Oric/Dragon etc ?!

Anyway back to the 90's, PC's were getting more and more popular, had a Megadrive and Amiga for a few years. But loved the PC and playing Doom and Quake etc on that, seeing the rise of the internet from crappy slow 28.8k modems to what it is now

errolwd40

Post by errolwd40 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:39 am

I think the 90's also, no one has mentioned the n64! My personal favourite games machine of all time, the last cartridge system, awesome controller and fantastic line up of games - Goldeneye 007, Zelda Ocarina and Majoras Mask, Diddy Kong Racing, F Zero X, Excitebikes, Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64, Lylat Wars, Pilotwings 64, WWF Wrestlemania 2000 and No Mercy, Jet Force Gemini and Waverace off the top of my head. Plus is there a more reliable console ever? I have had mine since August 1997 and still works as good as ever. :D

Roo

Post by Roo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:35 am

Saying the 1990's is tempting, but the 2000's had the full run of the GameCube, GBA and XBox and PS2, and most of the run-in for the Wii, DS, Dreamcast, GBC and PSP, as well as a lot from the 360 and PS3. There's just too much variety to ignore from 2000-2009.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:47 am

The 80's for me, without doubt. The golden age of arcade gaming; the best games for the Atari 2600; the BBC Micro and C64; the Amiga, NES, Master System, PC-Engine and even a couple of early years of the Megadrive (in Japan at least!)

I love the depth of current (and last) gen games but if I had to pick any era, the sheer variety and pick up and play simplicity of 80's gaming would be the winner....
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:33 am

psj3809 wrote: I had a Gameboy (best handheld device there was, not any of those laughable battery chugging colour bricks !), but seriously when you think of the 90's as a golden age no one thinks of it as a golden age due to the Lynx/Saturn/Jaguar, talk about biased ! Dont mean to have another console slagging off war but lets try and be a bit unbiased ??? Its like an Oric /Dragon owner saying it was a golden age in the 80's due to the Oric/Dragon etc ?!
Firstly and this is the key part - MY OPINION!

Secondly you will find that the Saturn is a really highly regarded machine right across the retro community and in fact so is the Lynx, which is often quoted as having the best good to bad games ratio of any console. Only the Jaguar there is a matter of taste and away from the mainstream views of the community at large.

Seriously, what is it with this board and peoples personal opinions constantly being questioned? :?

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:05 pm

SWOS was released in the 90's. So the 90's.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:15 pm

Treguard wrote:SWOS was released in the 90's. So the 90's.
swos ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:32 pm

snowkatt wrote:
Treguard wrote:SWOS was released in the 90's. So the 90's.
swos ?
I just looked on UrbanDictionary and it seems SWOS stands for either Slut Whore Of Satan or Silent Walk Of Shame.

Source: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=swos

Eiher that or he just might be referring to Sensible World Of Soccer. :wink:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:44 pm

The 2000's! Xbox, PS2 & GameCube had that golden period where developers were willing to take risks on new IP. The PS2 alone could keep you busy for a decade in of itself with the sheer selection of titles it offers :)

Then there's the DS & PSP...GBA Micro/SP as well I think?

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:50 pm

the whole gba range is 2000's
the orginal gba was a 2001 console the sp is from 2003
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !