Awful 16-bit Platformers

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TwoHeadedBoy

Re: Awful 16-bit Platformers

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:09 pm

:oops:
Forgot about Chaos Engine, I like that one.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Galahad I swapped Streets of Rage 2 for that :oops:

Also Shadow Blaster or Shadow something on the mEgadrive Genesis only game and terrible
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

davyK

Post by davyK » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:49 pm

I'll come in here and give my support for Plok. I really liked the weirdness of the levels - it looked like a yellow submarine / fantasy zone influenced world and the Follin soundtrack was the bee's knees. The humour was extended by the costumes and the associated jingles for cowboy, squire etc.

I found it controlled really well too and there were shortcuts that made up for the lack of passwords. The limb throwing might have been a bit contrived in places but in others it provided some nice ideas. I preferred the straight up linear levels to the flea hunts that could get a bit annoying admittedly.

The sepia-toned flashback section was really well done - complete with period soundtrack and titles. Overall I rate it as one of the best 2nd stream SNES platformers.

Someone mentioned that Gods was a bit sluggish? I found the SNES version to be a lot faster than the Megadrive version.

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:04 am

I should probably give Galahad a go at some point. I thought Leander on the ST was excellent, apart from just one or two bits where apparently solid machinery let you fall through. Turns out those were cut-backs from the Amiga original which had huge screen-filling contraptions that were much clearer where you could stand and operate them. The Amiga version also had some simple but effective parallax background effects (my guess would be these were re-purposed sprites). The background on Galahad looks far too bright and breezy for the dark tone of the game - like they were recycling Sonic the Hedgehog carts and forgot to delete the background. They should be night-time scenes.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:25 am

Does anyone remember Nipper & the Katz? An HMV promotional game on the Amiga. You controlled the HMV dog and had to collect records within a time limit. I think it was a competition. I liked that game.

I agree with the poster above who doesn't like Chaos Engine. I always thought that, and every other Bitmap Brothers game (bar the excellent Z) was utter tripe. I have never understood the amount of praise those guys get from retro gamers.. Magic Pockets and Gods were also rubbish.

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:36 pm

Gods was excellent. I liked the slower feel of your character. Magic Pockets was very ordinary however.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:05 pm

Plok is one of the best platformers on SNES. Does all the genre staples well and adds a lot of variety and inventive game play elements and puzzles on top of that, with a bunch of secrets and charm included for good measure. One of my friends gets pretty annoyed with me when I even make out the Mario World's are better than Plok, he'd go spare if he saw this thread :lol:

Zero is a perfectly fine game with fluid gameplay and a lot of action and nice graphics, the dive-bombing flight move also adds its own unique element to the proceedings and there's not really anything that stands out as being poor.

Robocod is a 6/10 game on all system bar the Amiga, which gets an extra point for the psychedelic backgrounds.

Everything else I agree with.

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:33 am

Ok I have been baited. Looking at chips image of hate in the first post.

What exactly is your beef with Cool Spot? Last I checked it was a good fun title with tight platforming and pretty good rendered animation for its time. The intro to the game of cool spot surfing on a 7 up bottle to a 16 bit rendition of Wipeout is nothing less than legendary.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:40 am

storm_maker wrote:Zero is a perfectly fine game with fluid gameplay and a lot of action and nice graphics, the dive-bombing flight move also adds its own unique element to the proceedings and there's not really anything that stands out as being poor.
As in Zero the Kamikaze Squirrel? I like that one too, the telescope thing's a good idea as well.

And Cool Spot will always be great, especially that "Radical Rails" level. And the bonus rounds.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:46 am

Cool Spot I'd say is Dave Perry's best 16-bit game for one simple reason.

Arrows.

Makes such a difference actually knowing which direction you're supposed to go as opposed to being left to it in confusing layouts à la Earthworm Jim.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:33 am

JazzFunk wrote:
Tell you what - I can't say I hated all their games (bar SB2) because I never tried Z or that isometric-y knightly one on Amiga - "Captive", was it?
Cadaver I believe. I enjoyed that.
Gods was good for about ten minutes then got boring, Magic Pockets was good for about ten minutes and then got boring, xenon was an average game, xenon 2 was an average game with horrible music, speedball was metallic football and not fun..... But, speedball 2 was a right laugh - they made something for me to enjoy!
So, unless it is Cadaver or SB2, their games were over rated boredom inducing duffers.

Must get around to playing Z at some point :oops:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:48 am

People calling Plok a bad game.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:07 am

Cadaver, that was it! And Plok was OK but too 'Euro' for me but it wasn't half slick, and didn't a certain Tim Follin do the music for it...?

I was never a fan of Cool Spot (Dave Perry level design!) but the SNES version isn't half gorgeous-looking, very slick indeed!

storm_maker

Post by storm_maker » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Magic Pockets wasn't even good for 10 minutes, it was a painfully slow, painfully tedious game with uninspired level designs all built on a foundation of badly thought out game play mechanics.

I would say the opposite for Gods, that game was boring for the 1st 10 minutes but when you realised it wasn't an action game, and started discovering the tons of secrets and puzzles, as well as kitting yourself up with upgrades it became quite an interesting, and unique game.

Xenon II wasn't average, it was hugely below average, crappy controls, crappy attack waves, crappy balancing, too slow etc etc.

Xenon 1 was OK, though flawed, if it had a better way of swapping between air and land in would've been pretty fun for its release year.

Chaos Engine, again, like Gods started off weak, but when you got some experience with it and learned where the best routes were to find upgrades for your characters and more cash for the shop it opened up and showed itself to have a lot of depth.

Speedball 2 was fun and easy to get into.

I haven't played enough of Cadaver to comment.

Yeah I know, my username does indeed suck. When I made this profile I never intended it to be my primary username, unfortunately it just ended up that way, and now I'm stuck with it unless I start over

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:22 pm

storm_maker wrote:Xenon 1 was OK, though flawed
The biggest flaw is not being able to move and shoot at the same time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeayDCG_EYU

;)

Perhaps you meant Xenon? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NYDdaXISLg
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.