Awful 16-bit Platformers

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

snowkatt

Re: Awful 16-bit Platformers

Post by snowkatt » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:13 pm

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:Platformers on the 16-bits were the equivalent of FPS's this gen. One or two classics and a billion souless, imaginationless clones. A genre that has become very "paint by numbers".

what was the to go to lets bleed it dry and kick it out genre for the 32 bit machines ?

3d beat em ups ?
arcade racers ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:46 pm

I too never understood why Robocod was so highly praised back in the day. Personally found it to bit a rather long, snooze-fest.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:51 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:I too never understood why Robocod was so highly praised back in the day. Personally found it to bit a rather long, snooze-fest.

its pretty graphics
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:26 am

merman wrote:You are completely wrong on Plok. Great game.

Your probably only saying that because Miyamoto said in an interview back in the day when asked what he thought was the best non Nntendo made platformer ever (pre 32 bit) that it was PLOK!!! Overall i didn't think it was awful and it controlled ok but the levels were totally and utterly generic and bland which was why i was so shocked he said it. In fact from what i played of it the levels seemed like they had been boshed together in 5 mins with nearly no thought put into them. Changing the subject ever so slightly, Miyamoto also said DKC was overrated and that take away the graphics and sound and it wouldn't have got all the fuss it did. That statement is far closer to the truth as the levels whilst good wern't incredibly designed. But graphics & sound/music especially back then added immensely to the enjoyment of the game.
snowkatt wrote:what was the to go to lets bleed it dry and kick it out genre for the 32 bit machines ? 3d beat em ups ?
arcade racers ?

Hmmm mabee RPG's but alot of them were excellent and almost all of them were good but then again i think almost all of them came from SquareSoft/Enix. So with that in mind thats the great thing about the 32 bit gen, you cant really pick out a lets bleed it dry and kick it out genre as all genre's were covered and covered to a fairly high quality. In fact il stick my neck out and say best generation ever.........MABEE!!!
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:29 am

32 bit era seemed to be 3d platformers. Busby, Croc, Gex, Spyro etc. all trying to replicate Mario 64.
Going Solo...................

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:34 am

The Hardest of All Freds wrote:32 bit era seemed to be 3d platformers. Busby, Croc, Gex, Spyro etc. all trying to replicate Mario 64.
This.

tux

Post by tux » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:42 am

Top Banana-Amiga, it was a trippy load of god-awfull rubbish. With some of the most brash and randomly(so it seemed) sampled sounds which used to blast out at any given moment.

Home Impovement-SNES. I literally have no idea why it was decided that bad NES graphics would be a good look on the SNES and had the most "we cant think of how to make this a game" storyline shat ever.

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:07 am

snowkatt wrote:what was the to go to lets bleed it dry and kick it out genre for the 32 bit machines ?
3d beat em ups ?
arcade racers ?
Can't pin any one down really. It was more about pulling out all the 2D genres to see which worked in 3D and which flopped.

So yes, scrolling beat-em-ups with 3d characters and actual corners in the streets turned up for a while, but disappeared when they had been done to death.

Certainly from Japan there seemed to be a load of effects-laden stats-and-menus JRPGs, but they hardly took over the world and aren't to my tastes anyway.

Mario went 3D and hit it off, but in so doing became more like an overhead-viewed game (in terms of level layout) than a side-on platformer. Everything else tried to copy, missed the point, and failed terribly.

I think if there was one thing came out of that era it was that every franchise has to have its own kart racer, however bad it may turn out.

The defining thing was racing games went from pseudo-3D to proper 3D, so you could actually turn round and drive the wrong way up the track. And there were quite a few racing games, but again they didn't really dominate.

I think just because the current gen is so overwhelmed by unimaginative mega-corporations, and the 16-bit console gen was so tied to the hardware capabilities, we shouldn't write every other period off as staid when it really wasn't.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:18 am

SonicTheHedgehog wrote:

Your probably only saying that because Miyamoto said in an interview back in the day when asked what he thought was the best non Nntendo made platformer ever (pre 32 bit) that it was PLOK!!! Overall i didn't think it was awful and it controlled ok but the levels were totally and utterly generic and bland which was why i was so shocked he said it. In fact from what i played of it the levels seemed like they had been boshed together in 5 mins with nearly no thought put into them. Changing the subject ever so slightly, Miyamoto also said DKC was overrated and that take away the graphics and sound and it wouldn't have got all the fuss it did. That statement is far closer to the truth as the levels whilst good wern't incredibly designed. But graphics & sound/music especially back then added immensely to the enjoyment of the game.
snowkatt wrote:what was the to go to lets bleed it dry and kick it out genre for the 32 bit machines ? 3d beat em ups ?
arcade racers ?

Hmmm mabee RPG's but alot of them were excellent and almost all of them were good but then again i think almost all of them came from SquareSoft/Enix. So with that in mind thats the great thing about the 32 bit gen, you cant really pick out a lets bleed it dry and kick it out genre as all genre's were covered and covered to a fairly high quality. In fact il stick my neck out and say best generation ever.........MABEE!!!
Hold on, I am quite capable of liking or disliking a game based on my own opinion. I've played Plok and like it. While I can see the deficiencies in Robocod, I still have fond memories of playing the C64 version.

To dismiss Plok as generic is to overlook the humour, the unusual control method and its original ideas.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:29 pm

The cover I used for my Ugly SNES pltformers feature was too standard, so I remade it using sprites from duff games 8)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:41 pm

Joe and Mac is one I do like.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:52 pm

I always wanted to like Joe & Mac but there's something about it that ruins it. Toki is far far better. Joe & Mac feels sloppy in it's controls and hit detection and is quite sluggish. The SNES version is especially dull to play.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:55 pm

I do agree Joe and Mac is a little sluggish and the hit detection isn't amazing. I just find it pretty good fun, it should have been a better port for sure.

I can't remember Toki. I do remember quite enjoying it a long time ago but would have to play it again now to form a real opinion.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:05 pm

SonicTheHedgehog wrote:

Miyamoto said in an interview back in the day when asked what he thought was the best non Nntendo made platformer ever (pre 32 bit) that it was PLOK!!!
Miyamoto also said DKC was overrated and that take away the graphics and sound and it wouldn't have got all the fuss it did.
Miyamoto also once said,
So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
So I'd give Shigsy's views on things a wide berth if I were you! :mrgreen:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

joefish

Post by joefish » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:10 pm

I've only played Joe & Mac / Caveman Ninja in the arcade but I do love it. The different styles of play and great graphics are really fun. The only part that lets it down are the vertical climbing levels, where you have to jump up onto platforms already stuffed with enemies. Similarly, I've only played Toki on the Lynx and ST, where it's a pretty good game, but several of the bosses are unfair.