My 2D fighter views

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Black Ridge

Re: My 2D fighter views

Post by Black Ridge » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:58 am

Im gonna throw this out there...

I think SSFIV is the best fighting game i have ever played. This may be influenced perhaps by the online support giving me more competition other than friends and family. I played SF2 from childhood all the way through the series and its crossovers and I cant help but go back to SSFIV constantly now. Not a popular opinion i know, but its depth and balanced roster have had me playing it for years now.

Love my 2D fighting games at the moment. Few to mention....

The Rumble Fish (JP PS2) - best import choice ive made
Sengoku Basara X (JP PS2) - great Arc System Works fighter. Started my blog and have some thoughts on the two.....

http://blackridgeimports.blogspot.co.uk/

Been enjoying some KOF 2003 recently. Much better than 2002 as i never had much love for it on XBOX

Jay

Post by Jay » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:24 am

I share that opinion. I think it's a more popular opinion than you might think actually.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Jay wrote:I share that opinion. I think it's a more popular opinion than you might think actually.
It doesnt appear to be here. Community is still going strong for it with support from Team Spooky, Cross Counter, Eventhubs, YogaFlame24 and loads more on Youtube. Capcom is working on another update that will tweak the roster and may change some character usage online which is always nice :D

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:57 pm

SF II is just perfect. Seriously, it is spot on on EVERY level imaginable.

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:01 am

samhain81 wrote:I guess some people just stick to SF2 because its simple and they don't have enough brain cells or memory capacity to find games with combo systems/air juggles/techs easy to play. :wink:

In many cases, yeah, that can be somewhat the case. Guilty Gear in particular is notoriously hard to learn, and alot of people tend to shy away from difficulty. I've always found them pretty easy (even at high levels), but that's just me. Definitely depends on the individual. I know lots of people that have an easy time at, say, FPS games, but me, I cant aim worth a crap. Cant hit the side of a barn from inside the barn.

At least with games like P4 Arena, developers are keeping the complexity while making them dramatically easier to learn.

As for SF, the SF series certainly isnt bad, but it's too slow-moving to hold my attention. I have at least played them all (every version), but I get bored of them fast.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:54 am

Combo-Breaker wrote:SF II is just perfect. Seriously, it is spot on on EVERY level imaginable.
It was a great game, but hardly on every level :)

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:23 am

samhain81 wrote:I guess some people just stick to SF2 because its simple and they don't have enough brain cells or memory capacity to find games with combo systems/air juggles/techs easy to play. :wink:
More complicated doesn't equal a better game. Although SSF2T is the perfect fighter.....
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

Misery

Post by Misery » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:30 am

Nemesis wrote:
More complicated doesn't equal a better game. Although SSF2T is the perfect fighter.....

It's not even necessarily that they're more "complicated".... they're just harder to learn for many players. The actual concepts and mechanics used in games like GG or whatever are pretty easy to understand; it's finding the right uses for them that is tough (or in some cases, using them at all, like with GG's FRC cancels, which many players cannot even do). SF is easier to get the hang of, so alot of players stick with that and never even touch the other ones.

And I really cant say there's any such thing as a "perfect fighter"... too subjective. SF2 in it's various forms is great to some, but to me it's a cure for insomnia. While GG and Arc's 2 other main games are by far the best to me, but to others they're overwhelming.

I'm just glad there's still enough variety in this genre; it hasnt hit any points of being like the FPS genre where they're all Call of Halos or whatever major brown-n-bloom FPS is big right now. Well, aside from Capcom (and some of the others) re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-releasing things a bit too often.

Dam

Post by Dam » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:31 pm

Black Ridge wrote:
Jay wrote:I share that opinion. I think it's a more popular opinion than you might think actually.
It doesnt appear to be here. Community is still going strong for it with support from Team Spooky, Cross Counter, Eventhubs, YogaFlame24 and loads more on Youtube. Capcom is working on another update that will tweak the roster and may change some character usage online which is always nice :D
I agree also! In fact I'd rate SSFIV as my favourite game of all time, even though I'm not that good at it, its just more fun to play than SF2, as much as I like SF2.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:42 pm

I love the complexity of some of the Virtua Fighter games - I can immerse myself in these with the right opponents. My Kage has definately been mastered to perfection. Akira is another really complex character. It's a sight to behold watching the best Korean/Japanese players using him to his full potential

On the subject, I guess many will disagree - but VF is a very technical game. I can appreciate why it has never been a mainstream hit, and certainly not favored by the "casual" player.

No where's my smoking jacket!