My 2D fighter views

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

koopa42

My 2D fighter views

Post by koopa42 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 am

Just to save me doing it individually. If I've missed any, just ask and I'll tell you what I think LOL. The talk of all this has made me itch for a game of SFII but I don't have a SNES anymore LOL I might just have to aquire one.

Or rather what I think of them and why. Just to save posting in the lots of threads appearing, just read this post to see what I think of what

SF - greatest series of all time. includes the greatest game of all time (CE). Best roster ..... STUNNING roster in fact, diverse, beautifully designed and realised, the game engine/mechanics are up there with the most perfect in gaming for me. It is well documentsed that you won't convince be otherwise. Weakness include the original SF (apart from the fact it lead to the awesome, it's not that great) and anything after SSFIIt which is just varying levels of fail, too many second chances, air blocks, power meters, ken and ryu style characters overly nerfed to allow cheaper character choices (imo). CE = 1 mistake and the round was over, you lose, your fault, STFU and put another 20p in or FO and let someone better have a go.

MK - offered the shock value kids always crave. What do yo mean 'ripped his spine off' what do you mean parents want it banned?' SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY. I always thought the first 2 Kombats were actually good games, the first set the tone and although simplistic? it offered something, it was probably on par with SFII as a single player (well maybe not LOL) and the 2nd? offered people a different experience for the PvP stuff. Again for me? everything after 2 was varying levels of fail, too much run/combo meter/babilty/fatality/mammogramality crap. Bonus points for offering such a different engine, style and charcter set though. MK does has a place in my heart.

Killer Instinct/Primal Rage - just missed the boat for me, tried to look great but didn't quite make it, tried to play well but were just a bit too comlex, ridculously overpriced in the arcades too! so, that combined with my time spent on SFII? It was a fail. I never rag on them too much because I didn't put mega time into them, I also never knew any fans back in the day or now to discuss it with. Bonus points for f##king fighting dinosaurs though and comedy 379246298764827346 combo stuff.

Art of Fighting - I know I know, I couldn't really tell you what but it has something. I rate the original 2 games but have to cede that although the zoom in stylee graphics were awesome, the game mechanic wasn't that sharp to be honest, average at best maybe? Again it offered a little something different, and a screen sized hadouken rip off? LOL boom.

KoF and all that crap – the worst of the bunch for me, never liked them never liked the ‘jump into the back ground’ mechanic, straight character/move set rips from SF as well. Didn’t look or play as nice as any of the others listed. Sorry if you are a fan but I just ain’t.

Crossovers – all levels of crap. Not a fan of any of them.

X-Men COTA – Great game, I really do enjoy it … even with the over complex airblocking second chance mega combo crap that I usually hate. Omega Red is one of my face characters to play in 2D fighters and Magneto as an end baddie just rocks.

DPrinny

Re: My 2D fighter views

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:05 am

All side on

SF - the one people mostly play, keep having people play it at the pub, but then show them the hacks and we have more fun

MK - Total pants, characters with the same basic moves

Killer Instinct - combocombocombocombo could never be arsed to learn it

Primal Rage - Fighting dinosaurs should of been awesome, turned out poo

Art of Fighting - Cack

KoF – The daddy, not filled with head swapped characters, , one where spamming never works

Crossovers – Comic ones = pants, Capcom vs SNK = awesome, capcom s SNK 2 = not as good, SNK vs Capcom - ok

X-Men COTA/MSH – Cack

Missed off
Fatal Fury - first was pants, 2 was better, only thing that bugged me was the jumping back and forth thing that the CPU loved to do, Real bout special is bloody awesome as is Garou

Fighters history - Put some time into this recently and where as it looks like a SF2 rip off the characters are different and yet the same, the person in a Gi isnt a shoto, but a thorwer, its good

Samurai showdown - Only liked 4

Last blade - Awesome

Guilty gear - Cant be arsed to learn

Blazblue - Yet to play

Rise of the robots - Lol nope

Katsumi Ninja - A side from Angus, its cack

Double dragon - Neogeo one = kinda fun, other one NOT

Eternal champions - Great back then, cack now

Missing a load off here

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:11 am

I didn't miss off Fatal Fury, I lump it in with the KoF crap because it's equal crap.

I did forget about the sword stuff though .... all crap, nearly as bad as the FF KoF stuff. The rest? I didn't play

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:19 am

Missed off one blatant one
Darkstalkers = Awesome
koopa42 wrote:I didn't miss off Fatal Fury, I lump it in with the KoF crap because it's equal crap.

I did forget about the sword stuff though .... all crap, nearly as bad as the FF KoF stuff. The rest? I didn't play
Not really, the mechanics of it are different, theres none of that two plane thing, even if Fatal fury did have "The king of fighters" on its character select screen

Its like saying that Street fighter and Marvel vs Capcom are equal when ones a damn sight more of a masher than the other

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:33 am

lol I don't agree but its all opinion

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:17 am

IK+ and WOTEF

I do think that 2d is the best dimension for fighters. Ialso think that 1 button is enough. I'd much rather spend my time using reflexes to evade and dish out moves than trying to exute increasingly complex strings of joypad commands. Plus I think that a flying kick to the head or crunching punch in the solar plexus is much more satisfying than unleashing a chain of fireballs or a hundred-hand slap.

Only an opinion mind, and I do like a quick bash of SFII on the SNES
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:21 am

What about twin stick ones like Karate champ?

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:37 am

paranoid marvin wrote:IK+ and WOTEF

I do think that 2d is the best dimension for fighters. Ialso think that 1 button is enough. I'd much rather spend my time using reflexes to evade and dish out moves than trying to exute increasingly complex strings of joypad commands. Plus I think that a flying kick to the head or crunching punch in the solar plexus is much more satisfying than unleashing a chain of fireballs or a hundred-hand slap.

Only an opinion mind, and I do like a quick bash of SFII on the SNES
The additional "Run" button in Mortal Kombat 3 has to be one of the most pointless exercises in innovation - EVER. Why not two quick taps forward?? But then, the series went downhill after MK2.

I think only Namco and SEGA truly mastered how to make fighters in 3D. Every attempt by a company that generally specializes in 2D fighters has ballsed it up :

Mortal Kombat IV
Street Fighter EX
King of Fighters Maximum Impact

It's rather telling that they all decided to go back to doing what they do best - making 2D fighting games.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:38 am

No no no, I don't do old crap .... I don't even like SF :lol: :oops:

Combo-Breaker

Post by Combo-Breaker » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:39 am

I loved the Capcom vs Marvel games on the DC and in the Arcades. Fantastic games.

SF II is the king, though.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:42 am

EX wasn't developed by Capcom and wasn't truly 3D, however I thought it was an awesome game especially ex2. Skullocrushaaaaa!!

Dead or Alive is a decent 3D series but yeah can't think of any others that are not Sega or namcot

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:27 pm

RUOK wrote:EX wasn't developed by Capcom and wasn't truly 3D, however I thought it was an awesome game especially ex2. Skullocrushaaaaa!!

Dead or Alive is a decent 3D series but yeah can't think of any others that are not Sega or namcot
Or worth bothering with.

Some games you know why they got a sequel, others you are glad never did

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:30 pm

Well the 3D MKs had numerous sequels and the Ex series had 2 sequels and several "alpha" editions. Dead or Alive continues to have many sequels right up until the current gen

Come to think of it, Maximum Impact had a sequel too

killbot

Post by killbot » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:35 pm

I always thought Art of Fighting looked aces in the arcade but I never played it because bigger boys in puffy jackets were always standing around it smoking and looking tough.

Then I finally got to play it on the Wii Neo Geo compilation and it turned out to be crap all along. Oh no!

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:46 pm

Agree with most of what you said Streetfigher 2 up until super sf2t all cant be beat.Once alpha bollocks came out they looked nice but just never played as well imo.I did always have a soft spot for Marvel v capcom 2 though love that game.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink: