Tweaks/Tricks you had to get games to load.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Green Bert

Tweaks/Tricks you had to get games to load.

Post by Green Bert » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:44 pm

I remember countless hours slowly turning a 'watch glasses' screwdriver in my Commodore C2N cassette player to get some games to load. This adjusted the tape head so it played the tape at a certain pitch I believe. Also, a line from an episode of Wiz Kids - "Static is the enemy" stuck with me in the early '80s and I remember telling my mate not to walk around on the carpet when a cassette was loading. :D

I have also had to revive various Dreamcasts by recalibrating the optical lens, and turning the PSX upside down worked sometimes when some CDs were too scratched to play.
Last edited by Green Bert on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

c0nfu53d

Re: Tweeks/Tricks you had to get games to load.

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:01 pm

My CPC 464 tape sometimes went out of alignment, simple to fix with a small screwdriver.

Also my 1st playstation's lens started to play up and only loaded games upsidedown on a cushion. Quite common that one and on my current PSP i have to close the umd drive slowly, pushing the game in at the last moment and securing drive shut with selotape :( I think I need a new PSP... :|

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:21 pm

The biggest problem I ever had was trying to load the game Ugh on the spectrum...me and my good friend tried every possible tape deck to try and load this game, finally getting it to load by making a tape to tape copy of the original and loading the header part in then swapping for the original and loading the rest from there....

What a waste of time it all was - the game was and still is utter crap.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:32 pm

NES cart trick

Put it in till it can just about go down, switch on
Works almost all the time

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:44 am

Mt C64's tape drive had issues with certain original game tapes (usually by CRL, Players or Thalamus) but I found that copying the original games onto a blank often made them load, it was the only way I could play Armalyte!

stvd

Post by stvd » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:52 am

Spectrum- varying degrees of volume/tone manipulation
PS1- eventually had to lay it on it's side to load anything.
SNES- wedge a bit paper inside the cart slot
Atari 2600- push the cart in and then pull it back out a fraction of a milimeter

Green Bert

Post by Green Bert » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:55 am

BennyTheGreek wrote:...finally getting it to load by making a tape to tape copy of the original and loading the header part in then swapping for the original and loading the rest from there....
Belive it or not, I never copied a Commodore cassette tape myself. I had a few copied games but the were given to me.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:58 am

Amiga 1200 - smashing the keyboard (hard) just off centre when the drive started whirring and not loading games. My A1200 only lasted a few month after that :(

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:07 am

c64 - aligning the heads on the tape deck, we used an old hair clip type thing!

PS1 - the pen top trick

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:11 am

stvd wrote: Atari 2600- push the cart in and then pull it back out a fraction of a milimeter
That's the only way I can get Pitfall II to work.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:23 pm

Used to have to adjust the azimuth screw on my Speccy's tape player nearly all the time in the end....I'd have to fast foward the tape, listen to some sound from it whilst adjusting the screw until it sounded as clear as I could get it, then rewind the tape and reload from the beginning. :D

I've done the same NES cart trick as DPrinny loads of times as well.

My Dreamcast has the 'reset' problem if I use it normally but I've managed to get around this by not clipping the disc lid fully closed when I've got a game in there and just weighing/holding it down with an empty game case instead.....works absolutely fine like that, and still does to this day. :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

adippm82

Re: Tweaks/Tricks you had to get games to load.

Post by adippm82 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:04 am

My Spectrum Plus 3 has always had a dodgy input socket for the tape lead, solved by trapping it hard under the machine, My plus 2 had several pen marks and numbers written by the adjusting screw, 1 for turbo loaders, 2 for normal loaders, 3 for whatever the strange loader used for games like Starglider, and four for Cyberun and Turbo Esprit, the only really awkward games I had.

Often found with awkward tapes, just lightly bending them corner to corner until they click slightly always did the trick.

Oh and having to put a NES cart up the jumper to warm it a bit so it would not sit flashing on and off, before I put a new connector in.
Last edited by adippm82 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PlodMadLoon

Post by PlodMadLoon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:37 am

The problems with the NES were of course legendary. I always used to have to play mine with my toe holding the cart in just the sweet spot the whole time. Fun times! :D

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:46 am

At the end of it's life, my PS1 would only load games if the console was not only upside down but at a 45 degree angle :lol:

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:47 am

I used to believe that some Speccy games were easier to load reliably if I wasn't present in the room at the time! My Super Wildcard on the SNES required a fair bit of packing out with cardboard to stop it wobbling in the slot and causing random "ZX81 RAM pack" crashes. Also the PS1 seemed to get it's laser out of alignment after a prolonged period of playing "gold backups" which then needed a cold boot with a black original disc in it to sort - the PS1 original discs were thicker than CD-Rs.

The "pull the cord when the light goes green and repeat" trick to try and resurrect a dead Xbox360 controller battery seems to be the modern equivalent :)