PS3 Launch

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:34 am

We'll find out next week.

One things for sure, if the PS3 still ends up pulling out a PS2 sized lead then Sony are officially invincible.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

hey_jonny_park

Re:

Post by hey_jonny_park » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:50 am

StarEye wrote: EDIT: This is pretty funny, though:

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=44214
Funny? That was pure liquid genius.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:16 pm

...put to music the same tripe that every MS fanboy sings.

It doesn't have halo. Right - given.
I don't want Blu Ray. Right - good for you.
The online isn't up to much. Okay-dokey.

At that point it's up to the individual. If you have the extra few quid and don't give a stuff about Halo then the PS3 is for you. Sony have a pedigree, MS don't.

Pretty much after that it is symantec's.

The thing that is scaring me the most about Sonys and MS' approach was actually out, into print, in Games TM this month. Every game, with the exception of Sega Rally and VF 5, was either an American RPG, World of F***ing Warcraft, which isn't a game, and Commando-space-marines meets Grand Theft Auto FPS. And let us not forget the splattering of novelty games. Even going so far as to get their Japanese correspondent to whinge on about Final Fantasy.

If Sony follow the 'isn't American taste/style in gaming great' model - they can f**k-off as well.

I'd love to know where they do their market research. I guess it's based on sales of previous works. I was kind of hoping the PS3 wouldn't be the Amerika-korn-skate-boarding-FPS-riddled-youth machine that the Xbox was. This was largely why I didn't like the Xbox. The PS2 still enjoyed a healthy balance but that balance, so far, does look like it's going to the wall with the PS3.

god - I hope not.

hey_jonny_park

Post by hey_jonny_park » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:34 pm

I do agree with you about the pedigree of Sony vs Microsoft to a point. That is to say that it's never been fashionable to like Microsoft and it's very fashionable at the moment to dislike Sony, but pettiness aside, I think the real issue is that there are very few PS3 exclusives cropping up at the moment to warrent that \"oh dear, I appear to have tripped over my bottom jaw\" kind of wow factor.

In all honesty the only game that makes me want the system is MGS4, and I don't think that justifies spending nearly twice on a console compared to 360.

It would of been nice to see Sony giving the fans a break (i.e. Nintendo price structuring) instead of pricing a console at a handfull of people and those lucky s**ts that will get mummy to buy it for them.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:40 pm

Saw a PS3 today (at the Game On exhibition). Was amazed at how huge it is. Looks like an old top loader vhs machine. The grand prix type game that was running on it looked poor too. Nice environment, but the car didn't look lik it was actually on the track.

Played PGR3 on the 360 whilst I was there too and that looked a lot better.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:42 pm

If it's Sony exclusives you want,then buy a PS2 - there are plenty of them and many , whilst not HD quality,are absolute corkers

I really can't see the point in paying £400+ for what's going to be available for Sony's machine on day 1 of release - in fact ,with the possible exception of Fall Of Man , it has to be one of he most underwhelming lineup of games for a new console there has been , especially when you consider how long it's been out in the US and Japan
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

StarEye

Post by StarEye » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:44 pm

I spent a lot of time on Oblivion, and I found Table Tennis and a few others to be a nice diversion. Nothing more. I don't think I've played something I personally consider a triple A title on the Xbox 360 yet. And yes, I played Gears of War, tried the Lost Planet demo, and the Dead Rising demo. None of them really interests me. Oh, and I spent a lot of time on Saint's Row. But getting a bit tired of those games right now, so I'm probably staying away from Crackdown - the demo was fun, but I had enough by the time the demo was over. Jumping from rooftop to rooftop wasn't as fun as I thought it would be.

Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey, and any other game that comes from Mistwalker was the real reason I bought an X360 though. If those fail to deliver as well, I might as well give up the whole console, and trade it in for a Wii or PS3 - both of which I'm getting anyway.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:47 pm

The 360 is the best console I've ever owned. And I've owned pretty much every one.

Scooby1970

Re:

Post by Scooby1970 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:55 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:The 360 is the best console I've ever owned. And I've owned pretty much every one.
Sold my 360, was not impressed at all with anything at all about it. Got to say, owning all major consoles since Grandstand Pong, I think the best console I ever owned in the Dreamcast, wouldn't sell that for the world! Games are fun and addictive, graphics are cool and it's generally an awesome little beast.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

sleeper77

Re:

Post by sleeper77 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:37 pm

quote Scooby1970

Sold my 360, was not impressed at all with anything at all about it. Got to say, owning all major consoles since Grandstand Pong, I think the best console I ever owned in the Dreamcast, wouldn't sell that for the world! Games are fun and addictive, graphics are cool and it's generally an awesome little beast.

:) Mark

I agree 100% with you. I brought out my Dreamcast today and was having good fun playing House Of the Dead 2 and Crazy Taxi again. The last time I played the console was maybe 5 years ago. As for the 360, I was tempted buying it but reading many bad reports of the console not working after a year I thought I'd stay clear for the moment. The PS3, well not on launch day but maybe in future. And the Wii, Manhunt 2 sounds interesting if it uses the nunchuck so there is another temptation.

necronom

Re:

Post by necronom » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:02 pm

sleeper77 wrote:As for the 360, I was tempted buying it but reading many bad reports of the console not working after a year I thought I'd stay clear for the moment.
A Year? Some people would be happy with a week (from Slashdot, today):

"...for one unlucky console owner it's taken seven faulty consoles for him to get customer service satisfaction. The Mercury News discusses the tale of Rob Cassingham, a self professed 'Xbox fanboy'. He and his wife Mindy run a gaming center, and were responsible (via direct purchases and through word of mouth) for more than a dozen 360 purchases. For his business, he had six machines ... and every one of them failed. Even one of the replacements for the original unit failed, and for every replacement he's had to wait two weeks to get a new system."

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:18 pm

If the 360 is so damn good - why don't I want one? I'm not some n00b who just strolled off the street, I've had every major console since the 16bit era and a fan during that time when my parents wouldn't buy the 8bits for me. But the 360 is the Tesco's value brand of gaming. It's everything with no quality. It's a ford focus. It's a LG TV. It's not even quantity without the quality for the uninspired masses. it's an apology for those that 'always support the under-dog'. Save me your pathetic liberalist excuses and your pseudo psycho-rambling. Ultimately it's a poor excuse. The 360 is an 'Excuse'. If Sega had release another console, if the Wii wasn't a digital Rubiks cube the the PS3 would have had serious competition. As it stands we have another Tony Hawks, another GTA clone and another doom clone. More space marines in sandbox - wooooooooo-hooooooooo. Let the good time roll. The 360 is a mass-market machine that appealed to the vocal minority that crushed the arcade. TRU FAX!

I agree with the Dreamcast and the Saturn love in - the same stupidity that votes for yet another marine-commando FPS on the Xbox, voted out the Dreamcast and it's shallow arcade experiences. The PS1 and the PS2 have served us well, for no more reason than it's huge sales base, but the Xbox was poor. Very poor. And there is nothing on the 360 to make me change my mind or to think any different about it. There are no games I want on the 360 and no great 'hope' on the horizon to make me change my mind.

\"online\" is not gaming.
\"saving £150\" is not gaming.
\"Rumble\" is not gaming.
\"HD DVD addon's\" is not gaming.
\"hard-drive and hard-driveless\" is not gaming.
\"Downloading commercially supported ROMZ\" is not gaming.

After a year - the 360 has nothing. The PS3 - so far - has nothing. Except hope. And that hope rests with the software developers.

Claiming that the 360 is the best console EVAR!!!!!11!!! is just the kind of unqualified claptrap we would expect. God forbid we should ask 'Why?'

The Wii has brought more to gaming - it's just so far off at a tangent no-one would seriously believe. The gutting thing is that the PS3 will follow the idiot FPS-online-w**k-a-thons (my pet name for World of War Craft) and all that means is that the video game is dead. Long live the space-marine-online-FPS.

Britpop95

Re:

Post by Britpop95 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:27 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:And I've owned pretty much every one.
Were you stupid enough to be sucked into buying a GX4000 at the turn of the 90's?

I know I was!

will2097

Re:

Post by will2097 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:20 pm

Britpop95 wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:And I've owned pretty much every one.
Were you stupid enough to be sucked into buying a GX4000 at the turn of the 90's?

I know I was!
...yeah. I had misgivings about Anthonys tradings but it was because I had always wanted Amstrad. But with the colour monitor not the green screen!

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:38 am

The GX4000 didn't come with any screen. By that point Amstrad had finally realised people actually had these TV things.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com