PS3 Launch

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

SirClive

PS3 Launch

Post by SirClive » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:26 pm

I am suprised that noone has mentioned the PS3 launch date and price, seeing as it was confirmed today.

Anyone bothered?

Cabal

Post by Cabal » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:47 pm

Well, I dunno if they are slashing the UK price but if they are sticking with £500 for the PS3 then they will lose the console war. Full stop.

Especially when you have two competitors who are both offering their machines for £200 or less. You could buy both a 360 and a Wii for what Sony are asking for the PS3.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:51 pm

Well, it seems to be the fashion to hate Sony for some reason. I like them, but didn't mention it cause I thought everyone would just say "Sony sucks" etc.

Having said that, I won't be getting one straight away as:

1) I'm still happy with my PS2
2) It's quite expensive and I don't currently have a job
3) The games are probably going to be too expensive (the worst thing about the whole next gen subject, IMO), and probably the thing that will put me off the most
4) There aren't enough games I want on it yet

I will be getting one this year though.

Mantas

Post by Mantas » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:52 pm

Plus you have to pay extra depending on what AV cable you want as it doesn't come included with the console.

necronom

Re:

Post by necronom » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:55 pm

Cabal wrote:Well, I dunno if they are slashing the UK price but if they are sticking with £500 for the PS3 then they will lose the console war. Full stop.
£425

Madge

Post by Madge » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:04 pm

I'll no doubt end up buying a PS3 at some point. But it might not be until the PS5 is about to come out and everyone on this forum is disputing whether the PS3 is "retro" yet.
Why retro? Because you never forget your first love.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:19 pm

I was intending to get a PS3 on Ebay from the US a couple of months back but thought I'd wait until it comes out here in the UK. Now the price (£425 for 60gb version) is known for the launch date it has put me off. The thing is you pay that amount, then you want a couple of games to go with it so you end up paying £500 thereabouts and maybe a couple of extras like cables or a remote which will be more. I am not a fanboy of any format, but that is too much money in my opinion just for a games console even it has more features thrown in than the Wii and Xbox360. Cut the price to £300 and maybe I will be tempted but that won't happen until probably christmas or next year.
Last edited by sleeper77 on Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:21 pm

necronom wrote:
Cabal wrote:Well, I dunno if they are slashing the UK price but if they are sticking with £500 for the PS3 then they will lose the console war. Full stop.
£425
Do you get any games/controllers with that though?
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

The Penultimate Ninja

Re:

Post by The Penultimate Ninja » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:35 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
necronom wrote:
£425
Probably just the single controller. I think that's the basic price before the retailers start bundling in all the stuff on top.

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:36 pm

The Penultimate Ninja wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:
necronom wrote: £425
No, I think that's the basic price before the retailers start bundling in all the stuff on top.

Thought as much. get the feeling when this is released, there'll be plenty of stock to go round.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:53 pm

I've seen on the web people claiming PS4 to be released around 2010, which isn't that far off. I'm not really fussed about a PS3, and have never been fussed about the PS2 either, although I got a lot of fun out of my original Playstation and am not a Sony hater, I just think the PS3 is ridiculously overpriced and I've read a few things on the net about slow loading times and the whole problem with backward compatibility.
Splink!

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:25 pm

what games are worth buying a PS3 for?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Frank Chickens

Post by Frank Chickens » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:57 pm

Sony needs people to buy at least 4-5 games so they can break even on it all and not forgetting they're not exactly keen on the secondhand market either, so they could struggle on this one.
"A cynic is what an optimist calls a realist"

OriginalJax

Post by OriginalJax » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:18 pm

The North American launch has been a bit of a disaster. You still see people trying to hawk them on classified lists or on eBay, but it's not difficult to find them in stores now. They sell out, but it's nothing like the phenomenon that is "the Wii"...

I'll grab a Wii when I see one in-store, but I'm not going to get scalped for one, and I couldn't care less about the PS3 right now.

Incidentally, if you buy one of the new HD-DVD 360's, the price is comparable to the PS3 (with it's Blu-Ray drive) - that's where your money is going.

:(
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?