Innovative shoot-em-ups

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

retrojc

Re: Innovative shoot-em-ups

Post by retrojc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:01 pm

Funny how many people are just listing their favourites shmups, as opposed to those games thatare truly innovative.

Bullet Hell - Batsugun.
Pink Bullets - DoDonPachi
Robotron - twin sticks to the masses
Salamander - Memory based gameplay
Space Invaders - wave based enemies.
Xevious - Bosses
Twinkle Star Sprites - 2 vs gameplay

Innovation at the time, even if just design choices today.

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:03 pm

sorry see the thread has changed, and people were right to write their favourites xD

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:12 pm

Crossforce on the 2600 (other versions available). A nice simple little shooter where you had a laser base at the top and bottom of the screen, and a beam fired between them, destroying any enemies that got caught in the path of it. Of course you had to watch out for enemy fire hitting either half of the weapon.

paranoid marvin

Re: Greatest shoot-em-ups

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:26 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Ah Twinkle Star Sprites that's a good one.

Can anyone remember the first shmup to have a smart bomb or two players at the same time.

First smart bomb = Defender?
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Sputryk wrote:
Sputryk wrote:Ohhh, let's see now:

Sexy Parodius - wonderful, wonderful take on the genre and immense fun, too
Space Harrier - best played in the hydraulic chair, but a thrill-ride nonetheless from an armchair
GigaWing - a great Power-up: the ability to deflect enemy bullets back at them for masses of bonus points. A very, very enjoyable danmaku title
Uridium - considering the limitations of the machines, especially the Spectrum, this is a remakable achievement
Smash TV - Robotron for the 21st Century. Too tough for most gamers, but a serious adrenaline rush nonetheless. "Get Ready!"
Side Arms:CyberDyne - not an overly amazing game, but the ability to 'join characters' with a second player - one controls movement, one shooting - made for fun, if tricky, gameplay
I'll add to this list:

Operation Wolf - putting player firmly in the game with a mock Uzi light-gun with force feedback. Was also an early forerunner of storyboarding

Great call - a shoot em up mocked up to look like a light gun game. How many people were fooled by this back in the day? I'd say probably 99%
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:35 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
Sputryk wrote: Operation Wolf - putting player firmly in the game with a mock Uzi light-gun with force feedback. Was also an early forerunner of storyboarding

Great call - a shoot em up mocked up to look like a light gun game. How many people were fooled by this back in the day? I'd say probably 99%
Well that's news to me! Can't quite figure that one out... Does the same apply to the Master System version?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:56 pm

Melon Squash.

It has no melons in it or, for that matter, squash of any sort. Just girls on jet bikes. I def has an unnique feel to it as the jet bikes are confined to the floor except when jumping or riding on a higher part of the screen. you can fire forward up or at an diagonal - abit like in contra.

So in closing - jet bikes, girls blowing stuff up. All good stuff.

Last edited by c0nfu53d on Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Dam

Post by Dam » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:00 pm

What was the first shooter where you get your weapons from a shop or choose them at the start of the level rather than the usual collecting on screen power-ups?

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:01 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:
Sputryk wrote: Operation Wolf - putting player firmly in the game with a mock Uzi light-gun with force feedback. Was also an early forerunner of storyboarding

Well that's news to me! Can't quite figure that one out... Does the same apply to the Master System version?

Think the MS was a true light gun game

The Uzi in the arcade was mounted in a way that lightgun games aren't. Think of the uzi as an enormous, elaborate joystick. Twisting the gun to the left was pressing left on the stick, tilting the gun up registered as an upward move on a joystick, etc.

As a gamer back in the day, it seemed quite ususal to see used fag butts stuffed down the muzzels of the Uzis in Op Wolf. Though for some reason none of us questioned why it didn't make a difference to the supposed 'light gun's' aim.

It was only after reading the revelation in RG many, many years later that I found out myself, so you're far from being the only one to think otherwise.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:05 pm

Dam wrote:What was the first shooter where you get your weapons from a shop or choose them at the start of the level rather than the usual collecting on screen power-ups?
X Out? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Out_(computer_game)

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:10 pm

paranoid marvin wrote: Think the MS was a true light gun game

The Uzi in the arcade was mounted in a way that lightgun games aren't. Think of the uzi as an enormous, elaborate joystick. Twisting the gun to the left was pressing left on the stick, tilting the gun up registered as an upward move on a joystick, etc.

As a gamer back in the day, it seemed quite ususal to see used fag butts stuffed down the muzzels of the Uzis in Op Wolf. Though for some reason none of us questioned why it didn't make a difference to the supposed 'light gun's' aim.

It was only after reading the revelation in RG many, many years later that I found out myself, so you're far from being the only one to think otherwise.
So the crosshair would be your "ship" then? I'll have to look up the article now, cheers for that information there :D
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:18 pm

retrojc wrote:Funny how many people are just listing their favourites shmups, as opposed to those games thatare truly innovative.
Funny then that I posted the following earlier in the thread,
DreamcastRIP wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Bear in mind that I'm looking at shooters that were innovative more than anything, so something that was refreshing or new at the time, will have a better chance of appearing compared to something which is just amazing but based on a tried and tested format.
That's precisely for why I included Zaxxon on my list. The game's not really my cup of tea but it fitted your description in the OP.

Maybe Bangai-o would be worth consideration too in that context.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Panzer Dragood Zwei
Sexy Parodius
Panzer Dragoon Orta
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:15 pm

c0nfu53d wrote:
Dam wrote:What was the first shooter where you get your weapons from a shop or choose them at the start of the level rather than the usual collecting on screen power-ups?
Fantasy Zone by Sega? 1986ish

ulala

Post by ulala » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:19 am

Lord Innit wrote:
c0nfu53d wrote:
Fantasy Zone by Sega? 1986ish
As i suggested on the previous page.

The coin collecting was the first time i had seen such a mechanic.

Now what was the first shooter to use power ups?

Delta?

Anyway, sanxion was VERY innovative in that it gave you a horizontal and vertical view of your ship at the same time.