Innovative shoot-em-ups

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

Innovative shoot-em-ups

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:57 am

I know Chip Tune loves list and I love shmups, so we're doing a list of essential shooters for the current issue.
We're planning to flesh it out with content from developers as well with any luck.

So anyway what shooters do you feel are an essential play. I'm mainly looking for cool innovative stuff.

Obvious ones are
R-Type
Defender
Gradius
Radiant Silvergun

snowkatt

Re: Greatest shoot-em-ups

Post by snowkatt » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:03 am

layer section and darius on the saturn
only shmups i like
layer section has some gorgeous animations and background scrolling
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

SuperFamiKing

Post by SuperFamiKing » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:11 am

Area 88 (UN Squadron) on the snes! awesome. I love the layout of the game with level choice and it's challenge is set just right, as too many shooters are impossible.

Was also a big fan of project-x and apidya on the amiga back in the day but haven't played either recently so don't know if they have aged well?
Also my local arcade used to have Saint Dragon in it and I loved that!, was a nice change from the usual space shooters
Last edited by SuperFamiKing on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:13 am

A few not yet mentioned,

After Burner
Batsugun
Battle Garegga
Flying Shark
Galaga '88/'90
GORF
Ikaruga
MUSHA
Scramble
Soukyugurentai
Space Harrier
Star Wars (Atari)
Tempest 2000
Uridium
Xenon
Zaxxon
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:45 am, edited 8 times in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ivortheinjun

Post by ivortheinjun » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:18 am

Galaxian
Fantasy Zone
Star Wars Arcade
Xenon II
Galaforce (BBC/Electron)
Firetrack (BBC)

sirclive1

Post by sirclive1 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:30 am

Deluxe Galaga 2.6 on the amiga .
Luxor the moonprince - Doomguard Slayer

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:37 am

Does Star Fox 64/Lylat Wars count?
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:42 am

Zarlor Mercenary - By Epyx - Atari Lynx

One of the earlier games released for the Lynx by the creators Epyx, Zarlor Mercenary was also the Lynx's first vertically scrolling shoot 'em up and still its best. Everything about this game just oozes class from the amazingly detailed graphics and superb soundtrack to the 4-player Comlynx gameplay and innovative power-ups. One of the best and most unique features of the game is that you can select from a host of different characters, which each have their own special weapon that they never lose. Another awesome feature is that your points = money when it comes to the end of level shops and well as host of great weapons you can buy in single player there are even more special weapons you can buy in multi-player, some that just serve to hinder the other players! Zarlor is not just one of the best games on the Lynx it is, in my opinion, one of the finest shoot 'em ups of its era.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:49 am

Parodius
Ironic that its the only shooter series I take seriously.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:50 am

Can't have a greatest shoot-em-ups list without a bit of Silpheed. Not sure what it was on originally, but the MS-DOS version was stunning for the time and the Mega-CD version is probably the best shooter on the system (better than Sol Feace anyway!).

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:54 am

theantmeister wrote:Can't have a greatest shoot-em-ups list without a bit of Silpheed. Not sure what it was on originally, but the MS-DOS version was stunning for the time and the Mega-CD version is probably the best shooter on the system (better than Sol Feace anyway!).
it first appeared on the pc-88
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:57 am

GigaWing (Arcade/Dreamcast etc) - Throwing the enemy's bullets right back at them! Gets nice and manic later on as well, but in a "manageable" way.

Gates of Zendocon (Lynx) - Dozens and dozens of multiple paths (a few leading to strange "Easter egg" areas), nice explosions, the ability to use your thrusters as a weapon... Been playing this for years and STILL haven't seen everything.

Time Pilot (Arcade) - Multi-directional shooting at its best. Really short but a bit too addictive. Great for score-chasing and all that.

Raptor: Call of the Shadows (PC) - Loud and difficult, but you can take a fair few hits before exploding. Upgrades etc can also be bought. It's on GOG now :D

Space War (Vectrex) - Possibly the best two-player game of all time, in the world ever etc.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:07 am

Axelay. The rest are gashpap, especially Ikabooga and Radiant Silverbum. I miss shmike, he would rage at such suggestions, especially Axelay being good (even though it IS good).

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:11 am

I'm not Jeff Minter's biggest fan, but Iridis Alpha is an excellent effort, with some interesting ideas (switching between the two "universes") that made it different from the average shmup.

Disposable Hero on the Amiga is great, and Enforcer by Manfred Trenz is incredible, technically stunning, it pushes the C64 hardware to amazing levels.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:15 am

Gates Of Thunder, and Lords OF Thunder, Gunhed, Soldier Blade, Spriggan on PC Engine

Robo Aleste on Mega CD

The Raiden Project, on PSone, also the PC Engine and Jaguar versions are excellent.

Thunderforce III and IV on Megadrive.

1941 On Supergrafx was a frenetic little blaster too.

Going back further, I loved Zynaps at the time.