Which game got you into gaming?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

P-Head

Post by P-Head » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:02 pm

I think it must have been the sit-down arcade Star Wars. Not especially sharp in my memory but I seem to remember my Dad being really impressed with the machine and playing it either immediately before or after me. If it wasn't that it would have been an Electron game, probably Stryker's Run. Or maybe it was a combination of both.

Dark Reaper

Post by Dark Reaper » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:53 pm

If I remember correctly, it was Alien 8 on the Spectrum. Either that or Rapscallion as they were the first games that I owned.

hey_jonny_park

Post by hey_jonny_park » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:06 am

For me it was playing on my cousins ST, and later my friends NES, didn't get a games machine of my own untill the Mega Drive came out, got nice fuzzy memories of playing Sonic The Hedgehog on Christmas day.

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:58 am

First game i ever played was a game called 'Mickey The Bricky' on the VIC 20. It was a cheap Donkey Kong clone but at the time I thought it was great! I also noticed that the older i got the worse i became at this particular game.

felgekarp

Re:

Post by felgekarp » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:03 am

DrBlue wrote:First game i ever played was a game called 'Mickey The Bricky' on the VIC 20. It was a cheap Donkey Kong clone but at the time I thought it was great! I also noticed that the older i got the worse i became at this particular game.
No don't get SirClive started again :)
Splink!

Britpop95

Post by Britpop95 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:03 pm

It's a bit cliché but I remember being captivated when watching the older kids playing the likes of Defender and Galaxian in our local chippy.

But it wasn't until I owned my own computer (Amstrad CPC 6128) in 1985 that I started to get into video games - Games such as Druid, Who Dares Wins II, Three Weeks in Paradise and West Bank were probably my favourite early titles back in the day.

thl

Post by thl » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:26 pm

Centipede on the Atari 2600. Can't believe how addictive that game really was when I first played it.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:20 am

felgekarp wrote:
DrBlue wrote:First game i ever played was a game called 'Mickey The Bricky' on the VIC 20. It was a cheap Donkey Kong clone but at the time I thought it was great! I also noticed that the older i got the worse i became at this particular game.
Cheer felgekarp, I might have missed this one if I hadn't seen my name mentioned :D

DrBlue, head over to http://www.weekend-gamer-co.uk and you can find VIC20 emulators, info and reviews, including a review of Mickey the Bricky. Its a great little game.

felgekarp

Re:

Post by felgekarp » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:59 am

SirClive wrote:
felgekarp wrote:
Cheer felgekarp, I might have missed this one if I hadn't seen my name mentioned :D

DrBlue, head over to http://www.weekend-gamer-co.uk and you can find VIC20 emulators, info and reviews, including a review of Mickey the Bricky. Its a great little game.
I take it my kickbacks in the post? :D
Splink!

chaos51

Post by chaos51 » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:53 am

For me it was (flush) space invaders.

It was the on the first \"computer\" I owned, a proud atari 2600!
CHAOS51 - WWW.LODGIA.COM

jazzmaverick

Post by jazzmaverick » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:00 pm

Repton on the Acorn Electron.

I remember playing it at my Mum's friend's house and absolutely cacking my whack the first time a boulder fell behind the little lizard dude! What a wuss!

But seriously, I'd played a few things before but this was the first game that really got me to emote. I also remember the Sinistar clone on the same machine making me lose a few brown bricks.

After that I was hooked.

Marc

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:43 pm

Ah yes Repton!

I remember playing that on my trusty Electron too!

The one that had the internationally themed levels sticks in my memory, can't remember if that was for good or bad reasons though.

Anyone bought / played the Superior re-releases?

felgekarp

Re:

Post by felgekarp » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:59 pm

djcarlos wrote:Ah yes Repton!

I remember playing that on my trusty Electron too!

The one that had the internationally themed levels sticks in my memory, can't remember if that was for good or bad reasons though.

Anyone bought / played the Superior re-releases?
I won one, Superior used to have prize giveaways in their newsletters, I've not got round to installing it on my new machine though.
Splink!

DrBlue

Post by DrBlue » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:49 pm

SirClive wrote:
felgekarp wrote:
DrBlue wrote:
First game i ever played was a game called 'Mickey The Bricky' on the VIC 20. It was a cheap Donkey Kong clone but at the time I thought it was great! I also noticed that the older i got the worse i became at this particular game.

No don't get SirClive started again Smile

Cheer felgekarp, I might have missed this one if I hadn't seen my name mentioned Very Happy

DrBlue, head over to www.weekend-gamer-co.uk and you can find VIC20 emulators, info and reviews, including a review of Mickey the Bricky. Its a great little game.

I take it my kickbacks in the post? Very Happy
I did re-discover it recently under *whispers* emulation. Considered doing a re-make, might do one day if i can find the time.

russgalleywood

Post by russgalleywood » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 am

I would love to say 'Robotron' to sound cool but that would be a lie as I never really had enough 10p's to survive for long on it!

We had a grandstand Tennis machine in the 70's and have fond memories of that, also Gorf in the arcades because of the speech.

But really I guess it was Alien Dropout on the Beeb, my first home computer and then Elite probably brought home the addictiveness of gaming to me big time.
'What's a Ftoomch?'