Worst game in the world, Rpund 2, Heat B

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Round 2, Heat B

Poll ended at Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:00 pm

Shaq Fu - Mega drive
12%
Green beret - C16
14%
Chase hq - C64
10%
Pit fighter - Arcade
17%
Bomb jack 2 -zx spectrum
2%
Rise of the robots - All
19%
Superman - N64
14%
Dark castle - Megadrive
12%

Total votes: 58

Spector

Re: Worst game in the world, Rpund 2, Heat B

Post by Spector » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:03 pm

gman72 wrote:There are several reasons why i hate Pit Fighter and each and every one of them is because its rubbish. I have actually not played many of the home versions mainly the arcade version a few times back in the day and thought then as I do now that it sucked at the root end.
All opinions expressed in this post are just that and should not be reacted to by owners of a conflicting opinion although it must be stressed that the poor, misguided buffoons with conflicting opinions can go choke a chicken... which, come to think of it, would be much, much more fun than playing the sorry excuse for a game that is Pit Fighter Arcade. :D
Sorry... too much coffee. :lol:
Go for it, gbaby, Go For It!!

I have to admit I voted for Pitfighter too. It's actually quite funny how this game appears twice for no reason other than a collective pathological hatred for it, and not only that, both versions are still on course for meeting in the final! :lol:
My other vote was for the legendary C16 conversion of Green Beret. Nuff said.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:06 pm

The Laird wrote:
thebear wrote:I'm going to abstain!!!!

I think only one I've played is pit fighter and while it wasn't great it shouldn't really be here

As someone else said every single home conversion was worse so why is the arcade here??
It's one of those games that it's popular to hate it seems...
Indeed. I believe a recent Call of Duty game also featured in one of these 'Worst Game in the World' polls too. People trying too hard to be trendy by hating on what it's supposedly trendy to hate on because it makes them feel 'cool'. I'm sure they'll be checking on Twitter in five minutes just to verify if their 'opinion' is in line with what's 'trending' right now just so they can still feel like one of the 'cool kids'. They'll of course do so using their Samsung Galaxy S3 or Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display while sitting in a Starbucks meekly sipping their Fair Trade Certified medium roast coffee. It's nothing but a herd mentality with them acting like the characters from that retro gaming classic Lemmings. Still, it gives the rest of us something to laugh at so let the nonsense continue! :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

clarance

Post by clarance » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:18 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
The Laird wrote:
thebear wrote:I'm going to abstain!!!!

I think only one I've played is pit fighter and while it wasn't great it shouldn't really be here

As someone else said every single home conversion was worse so why is the arcade here??
It's one of those games that it's popular to hate it seems...
Indeed. I believe a recent Call of Duty game also featured in one of these 'Worst Game in the World' polls too. People trying too hard to be trendy by hating on what it's supposedly trendy to hate on because it makes them feel 'cool'. I'm sure they'll be checking on Twitter in five minutes just to verify if their 'opinion' is in line with what's 'trending' right now just so they can still feel like one of the 'cool kids'. They'll of course do so using their Samsung Galaxy S3 or Apple MacBook Pro with Retina Display while sitting in a Starbucks meekly sipping their Fair Trade Certified medium roast coffee. It's nothing but a herd mentality with them acting like the characters from that retro gaming classic Lemmings. Still, it gives the rest of us something to laugh at so let the nonsense continue! :lol:

Oh yes we're all trying to be fukin cool by hating COD and Pit Fighter in a fun retro poll - get a grip boys. Four big speakers...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:37 pm

Oh god, Green Beret on the C16. I remember buying this on the Konami Coin-Op Hits collection. It was awful along with most of the compilation itself (only Ping Pong was adequate enough). I so happened to have reviewed it here a while back.

Green Beret - C16 retrogamer review

But if you think that's bad, then C16 Ghosts'n'Goblins totally rivals it. Not only is it a very long multiload, it only has the first 2 levels, AND Arthur dies with only one hit. The graphics although far better than Green Beret are so blocky it makes it near damn impossible to get past the first ogre at the end of level 1. There are many other faults but the game is so bad it's completely unfinished and is right up there with C16's Green Beret that I might make it my next review :twisted:

clarance

Post by clarance » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:44 pm

Sixteen Plus wrote:Oh god, Green Beret on the C16. I remember buying this on the Konami Coin-Op Hits collection. It was awful along with most of the compilation itself (only Ping Pong was adequate enough). I so happened to have reviewed it here a while back.

But if you think that's bad, then C16 Ghosts'n'Goblins totally rivals it. Not only is it a very long multiload, it only has the first 2 levels, AND Arthur dies with only one hit. The graphics although far better than Green Beret are so blocky it makes it near damn impossible to get past the first ogre at the end of level 1. There are many other faults but the game is so bad it's completely unfinished and is right up there with C16's Green Beret that I might make it my next review :twisted:
Yup, Green Beret on the C16 is indeed the worst game ever (probably).

Oh, and I've already covered C16 Ghosts'n'Goblins for you - http://www.retrogamer.net/show_image.ph ... 706&page=1 :wink:

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:52 pm

Ahaha, I forgot your review. You've pretty much nailed it there.

I must do more "shitty game" reviews though :)

khisanth

Post by khisanth » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:57 pm

Any poll with rise of the robots in is an easy vote for me.

clarance

Post by clarance » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:01 pm

Sixteen Plus wrote:Ahaha, I forgot your review. You've pretty much nailed it there.

I must do more "shitty game" reviews though :)

Well there's plenty of horror stories to choose from on the C16 - ever tried playing SuperGran?

There was a blog by Jeff Minter some time ago about criminally bad full price Vic 20 games - Interceptor Software's version of Donkey Kong gets a good slagging - fun game...

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:06 pm

AmigaJay wrote:Wow closest and hardest poll so far!

Regarding why some games have 'all' and others pick a format is because people who originally stated which games also said which versions, it's their choice... there's no conspiracy! :lol:
But its not some games, Pit-Fighter is THE ONLY game that is listed in these polls more than once (SNES and arcade) when he could have just put Pit-Fighter ALL as several versions have been mentioned before as being censored. I mentioned Dark Castle on the CD-i but only the MD version appears, the same game really shouldn't be appearing more than once. Like I already said Pit-Fighter was a massively successful game for Atari that was ported to pretty much every home format of the age and has appeared on countless compilations since including the new Midway one. So for that reason it can't be as bad as many of these "experts" reckon it is.

No of course because it's been brought up everyone will vote for it to run with the pack in the cool kids clique mentality this forum has at times. Many of these people also think it's hilarious to vote for it because it somehow annoys me when I really don't give a flying fook. There is a reason I stayed off this forum for 2 weeks just recently, some members here really need to grow up, get a life and get their own opinions on things while they are at it.

Saying Pit-Fighter is a worse fighter than Rise Of The Robots is just laughable, it's actually playable for a start.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:10 pm

clarance wrote:
Sixteen Plus wrote:Oh god, Green Beret on the C16. I remember buying this on the Konami Coin-Op Hits collection. It was awful along with most of the compilation itself (only Ping Pong was adequate enough). I so happened to have reviewed it here a while back.

Yup, Green Beret on the C16 is indeed the worst game ever (probably).

Oh, and I've already covered C16 Ghosts'n'Goblins for you - http://www.retrogamer.net/show_image.ph ... 706&page=1 :wink:
Just read your review very true, though I mis- remember C16 Ghosts & Goblins looking better than that, as it looked good in the Commodore User screenshot as it was against a dark background with that Gatekeeper(large sprite) the two on the last level are impossible to beat!! It was easy getting to them with so few enemies.. Me and my friend tried using a autofire stick and still couldn't beat them
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:14 pm

I voted Green Beret C16 wasted £2 on that.. A flick screen game with spectrumesque sprites, sure there was only one enemy type and they all had guns!! Never got to the end of the first level but would be interested to see if they had the bosses; though I imagine the same 3 guys just ran on
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

clarance

Post by clarance » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:36 pm

Shinobi wrote:I voted Green Beret C16 wasted £2 on that.. A flick screen game with spectrumesque sprites, sure there was only one enemy type and they all had guns!! Never got to the end of the first level but would be interested to see if they had the bosses; though I imagine the same 3 guys just ran on

NO, wait, there is an ending, and a reward screen -

Spector

Post by Spector » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:48 pm

clarance wrote:

NO, wait, there is an ending, and a reward screen -

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:36 am

The Laird wrote:
AmigaJay wrote:Wow closest and hardest poll so far!

Regarding why some games have 'all' and others pick a format is because people who originally stated which games also said which versions, it's their choice... there's no conspiracy! :lol:
But its not some games, Pit-Fighter is THE ONLY game that is listed in these polls more than once (SNES and arcade) when he could have just put Pit-Fighter ALL as several versions have been mentioned before as being censored. I mentioned Dark Castle on the CD-i but only the MD version appears, the same game really shouldn't be appearing more than once. Like I already said Pit-Fighter was a massively successful game for Atari that was ported to pretty much every home format of the age and has appeared on countless compilations since including the new Midway one. So for that reason it can't be as bad as many of these "experts" reckon it is.

No of course because it's been brought up everyone will vote for it to run with the pack in the cool kids clique mentality this forum has at times. Many of these people also think it's hilarious to vote for it because it somehow annoys me when I really don't give a flying fook. There is a reason I stayed off this forum for 2 weeks just recently, some members here really need to grow up, get a life and get their own opinions on things while they are at it.

Saying Pit-Fighter is a worse fighter than Rise Of The Robots is just laughable, it's actually playable for a start.
The trouble is, this poll is just for a laugh, and even if you say you 'don't give a fook' it's not coming across like that because you are trying to defend an Atari game for being on here twice, don't worry about it, as you say Call of duty was voted, it's just a laugh to see what makes it through, the more people moan about a certain game the more people will vote, it's just to wind people up!

Spector

Post by Spector » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:13 am

Interestingly on the Wikipedia page it states that there is a prototype of Pit-Fighter available for the Atari 7800! Wiki says "It has crude graphics, no sound and poor collision detection." Doesn't sound like a prototype to me!