All about scrolling fighters.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

adippm82

Re: All about scrolling fighters.

Post by adippm82 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:28 am

I always enjoyed the SNK fighters back in the day, Robo Army, Mutation nation and Eightman.

Target Renegade as already mentioned is class, although more flip screen I seem to remember, great game none the less, also Turtles IV on the SNES.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:38 am

Night slashers is an often overlooked gem on Mame and has a great zombie/vampire horror aesthetic going on.

Still I think the two best in this genre are Captain Commando and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. I loved all the different weapons you could pick up and the detail of the environments. It made them feel less repetitive than many others of the type.

Also Streets of Rage remake is one of, if not, the best fan made games of all time. The amount of effort and detail that went into that is superb.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:29 pm

Good calls on POW and Captain Commando. Very cool games.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:52 pm

I have been trying to think of a ps1 scrolling beat em up i used to play all day.And the name of it just came to me so i thought i better post the name before i forget it again .

Gekido.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:28 pm

Shocked to see no mention of Undercover Cops yet. One of my favourites but seemingly lost amongst a lot of other (possibly better!) similar games.

For me its Streets of Rage 2 / Remake - SOR2 being the best of the megadrive selection and Remake polishing it to the nth degree. Given that the MD has the worst conversion of Double Dragon / Double Dragon 2 EVER there wasnt much choice really. I find Turtles : Hyperstone Heist gets repetitive pretty quickly and you needed a MCD to play Final Fight. The Punisher felt a bit sub par to me , but then I also quite enjoyed Mystical Fighter which is a fair old duffer so maybe Im not a good judge.

For arcade I used to love final fight and double dragon 2 however the latter now appears to have aged very badly.Crude Buster and The Simpsons munched quite a few 10ps back in the day.

Very honourable mention goes to Target Renegade (speccy) for it might have terrible jerk scrolling but you still got a great beat em up out of it. I remember Shadow Warriors looking and playing ok on the speccy but having re-tried it lately i find it near unplayable.Maybe I need to figure out a way to control it properly.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:19 pm

shiftytigger wrote:Shocked to see no mention of Undercover Cops yet. One of my favourites but seemingly lost amongst a lot of other (possibly better!) similar games.
I mentioned this on page 2

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:00 pm

Ok I have been going through a few SNES fighters today and with mixed results.

Turtles in Time is good. Gameplay is rather simplistic but the appeal of the characters and graphics allow me to enjoy it. I would like to pick up a JP version one day but it is a little too expensive.

Rival Turf is pretty average. Again I like the overall setting but it feels rather simple and at times unfair. Enemies seem to just interrupt your combo and their slow attacks just stun you and kill you.

Knights of the Round. Again pretty simplistic, a Golden Axe style game but I did quite like this. Again I found the visuals and setting very appealing.

Legend is a pretty poor fighter from what I played. It feels sluggish to play although there is a fast speed option. Graphics I rather nice but I didn't think it looked better than KotR.

Rushing Beat Run. Follow up to Rival Turf felt more of the same with more characters and a less appealing location. Average again.

I finished Return of Double Dragon and that is just fantastic. So much depth to the fighting as I said on post 1.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:19 pm

The Pirates Of Dark Water on SNES is one well worth playing. Think I only gave it a go (via emulation) because Shinobi mentioned it a while back, but I ended up spending an evening playing through it from start to finish. I also ended up really liking SNES Mighty Morphin Power Rangers as well after a recommendation from Samhain....I wouldn't have given it the time of day before because of the license but glad I did.

Personal favourites of mine are Guardian Heroes and Three Dirty Dwarves on Saturn. Both great games. As is Dynamite Cop on Dreamcast. I've also got a soft spot for Jackie Chan: Stuntmaster on the PS1 as well, though it's really starting to show it's age now.

As far as arcade games go, the arcade version of Battletoads is well worth a look as well. Surprising amount of blood and gore in it. And Golden Axe: Revenge Of Death Adder is very good too.

EDIT: And also The Ninja Kids....nearly forgot about that one, it's a lot of fun (and also on Taito Legends 1 for PS2/Xbox). And I used to love the arcade version of Dynamite Dux (but the Sega Master System version sucked. :( )
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:06 pm

no mention of the warriors ?
its a pretty decent game
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:14 pm

Most of the scrolling fighters I like have been mentioned, but I'll recommend Cadillacs & Dinosaurs again because it's that awesome.

Also on MAME, I thought Sailor Moon was a solid effort (not seen the show, so can't comment on how close it sticks to the material), looks like something you'd play on the SNES. Oh, and Asterix is good fun with a mate too.

If you've got a PSP, nakamura, the Ikkitousen scrolling fighters are well worth a punt, lots of characters and you can pull off some sweet combos and specials.

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:33 pm

I'm gonna second all the love for Violent Storm and Cadillacs & Dinosaurs. They're two of the best beat-em-ups you can find in the arcade, in my book.

If we're allowed to mention modern games, I'd like to put up Double Dragon Neon. Everything about it just works so well for me, I love the music, and I would say it... truth be told, makes every Double Dragon game before it look like crap. Although, I never was that much of a fan of the series before Neon, so take that with a grain of salt.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:07 pm

Anyone mentioned the third Rushing Beat game? By far the best, the other two felt well squishy/floaty in my opinion (though I love that colourful Jaleco graphical style.)

Yeah, that Legend is utter pish, a Euro team tried to make an 'authentic' arcade-style game. Think some of these guys might *possibly* also have worked on the godawful Iron Commando that I mentioned earlier, it ironically only came out in Japan which is a shame as it's such a bad example of the genre and is NOT a Japanese title!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:35 pm

JazzFunk wrote:Anyone mentioned the third Rushing Beat game? By far the best, the other two felt well squishy/floaty in my opinion (though I love that colourful Jaleco graphical style.)

Yeah, that Legend is utter pish, a Euro team tried to make an 'authentic' arcade-style game. Think some of these guys might *possibly* also have worked on the godawful Iron Commando that I mentioned earlier, it ironically only came out in Japan which is a shame as it's such a bad example of the genre and is NOT a Japanese title!

Rushing Beat Shura or 'The Peace Keepers' as it was called over here.. I managed to get it boxed for £30 after two previous ones I was bidding on sold for £80+.. Brilliant game multiple routes lots of moves including some preformed by fireball motions etc and unlockable characters, wish I could understand the story... Having a boss who starts as little girl but gets turned into a monster maybe why it never got a UK release.. Is the first Rushing Beat as bad as they say I was going to buy it in 'Replay' but 'DTSE' talked me out of it, i'm glad he did as all the bad things I hear about it from this forum..

Trev gave me Legend for free always wanted to play it but it was aweful!! Everybody could be beaten with the same move apart from that living tree and the first level mid boss who where harder then every other boss in the game.. I did complete it, the last boss was a slightly bigger Orc and was beaten with the standing jump attack (same as everybody else) and you had a digitised picture of two women or very effeminate looking guys who they said where the programmers.. Wouldn't be suprsed they did Iron Commando looks like the same Graphic style

The Shadow was terrible as well and impossible to hit anybody
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:18 pm

Telling me the third Rushing Beat game is good is bad for my wallet.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:34 pm

Cyborg justice was pretty nifty on the MD. I loved how you could rip off the limbs of your enemies and use them to your advantage. The graphics were really slick too, some excellent animation.

I loved vigilante on the PCE, almost arcade perfect. And drunken master was another showcase for the hardware, although the game itself wasn't all that if I'm honest.

Anyone on here fancy a go of the last battle?

Eat your nans pants