All about scrolling fighters.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

koopa42

Re: All about scrolling fighters.

Post by koopa42 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:48 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:Target Renegade on the Spectrum +2 is just the greatest scrolling fighter of all time. FACT.
Agreed

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:19 pm

Viewtiful Joe is easily the best one iv played and iv played all the known classics. Mart definitely get on it but be warned it's not a walk in the park like so many others its a challenging game even on Kids mode. Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:31 pm

GOD HAND not mentioned yet?

FOR SHAME!!

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:14 pm

I love:

Arcade: Double Dragon and Vendetta (AKA Crime Fighters 2)
SNES: Undercover Cops

And, if it's allowed, I'd add Bad Dudes Vs Dragon Ninja (Arcade) and Ninja Warriors Again (SNES)

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:52 am

Played some of the fanmade Crisis Evil 2 recently which is fun but very hard. Im not great at these sort of games though :(
here's a vid for anyone that hasnt heard of it Image

Did anyone ever play the PS2 Final Fight? i remember enjoying it until i got to the end boss which i swear was impossible :evil:

The Scott Pilgrim game on XBLA was alright although it seemed to crash on me all the time

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:46 am

Some interesting suggestions in here, will check out as many as I can over the coming months. Need to see if Final Burn works on Wii.

God Hand is obviously a good mention but to be honest I am looking for 2D stuff. Viewtiful Joe may be acclaimed but it really wasn't for me.
Undercover Cops and Ninja Warriors Again are two I will check out first I think.

I remember playing the Double Dragon games on C64 back in the day and enjoying them. They were bad though, looking at you tube videos!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:01 am

^ Some parts of FBA have been ported over to the Wii as part of RetroArch - CPS1+2 and Neo Geo only so far though.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:05 am

DoraemonTheCat wrote:Target Renegade on the Spectrum +2 is just the greatest scrolling fighter of all time. FACT.
I still rate Renegade as the better game but it is lovely. Renegade 3 is the worst game of all time.

Fave Capcom one is The Punisher.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:19 am

It is awesome.

But I'd agree that Vendetta is probably one of the most outstanding scrolling fighters ever, and I feel I should point out that you have to play the uncensored ROM, with the leather-hat wearing homosexuals on level 3, who will, given the chance, attempt to rape you or nearby lamp-posts.

ImageImage

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:29 am

I'm a huge fan of this type of game, but I will say that Super Double Dragon is clearly one of the best out there, the moveset is really cool and varied, plus the game itself is full of swish and classy touches - in fact, I think time has proved it to be a classic, imho, and it's much more 'neon' than the recent XBL/PSN game. I think with it being a home game, they took a lot of time to concentrate on the control and it really shows. The GBA version of DD is also incredible, with LOTS of moves available (just a pity I can only play it on a DS Lite, with its cack triggers, plus I have huge hands!)

The main enemy of games like this is nostalgia - when you play through a lot of stuff on MAME, you realise how undesigned and repetitious a lot of these games are, like I used to be a huge fan of Crime Fighters in the arcade, but on playing it through emulation, I realised what a sack of cack it now is, just very awkward to play, torture.

A lot of people mention the sequels to Crime Fighters, Vendetta and Violent Storm, and they ARE fun games to play but end up being unsubtle coin-munchers without the depth of control of SDD, or SOR2, same with a game called "Knuckle Bash". I wouldn't bother with Combattribes on the SNES, even though it looks quite nice in images, and there's a terrible Euro-programmed SNES beat 'em up called "Iron Commando", I think, LOOKS like a proper arcade game but is a total dog to play.

Anyway, I've been very depressed recently, but you've made me wanna check out MAME again! :D

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:12 am

A few more arcade scrolling beat 'em-ups worth a decent investment of your time...

Karate Blazers - Kind of like Final Fight, but different. Watch out for spamming your "circular attack" move, it drains your energy!

Growl - Slightly smaller sprites, but just as well detailed, and with enormous explosions. In fact, I've just decided that this one is one of my absolute favourites.

P.O.W. - I know it looks and sounds a little ropey... but it's actually a pretty solid game. Give it a chance.
ImageImage

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:59 pm

for me it has always been tmnt the hyperstone heist bastardized version of tmnt 4 it may be
followed by tmnt 2

i never cared much about streets of rage nor ever saw what was so special about it
didnt care much for the music either

i liked final fight 1 but always felt 2 was the better game and brawl brothers was better then final fight anyway

but on the whole is a genre i dont care much for
especially not with such abysmal titles like fighting force 1 and 2 or the bouncer show casing the worst the genre has to offer stiff controls plodding boring game play inane camera angles and a deranged storyline and more cut scenes then actual game play

star wars episode 3 is also a scrolling beat em up but it mostly suffers from plodding boring game play
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Flint

Post by Flint » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:20 am

First mention of River City Ransom? Not only is it a good game (they even include RPG elements) but it uses the same sprites as World Cup on the NES which makes both games far more amusing. I wish I could have played it as a kid as I'm sure it would have been one of my favourites.
There's also a GBA sequel but I haven't played that yet.

However Double Dragon 2 on the NES was my favourite as it was the perfect co-op game to play with my Brother even if the jumping mechanic was horrible.
Many years later we played Double Dragon Neon together which was a great blast of nostalgia as many parts of that game play homage to DD2 (amongst other things).

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:55 am

Flint wrote:First mention of River City Ransom? Not only is it a good game (they even include RPG elements)
No.
nakamura wrote:
Street Gangs is my overall favourite scrolling fighter. I would love to track a GBA copy but not had much luck yet. I love the mix of RPG and fighting action and the Double Dragon cameos are cool. Loads of moves too.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:13 am

I'm a big fan of the various arcade Comic book scrolling fighters released in the '90's.

My personal favourite being the Punisher. It reminds me of a slightly more brutal final fight (as you got guns, axes and other weapons) and I loved the setting, music and especially the big boss battles (Kinpin, Bushwacker and Bonebreaker especially plus Jigsaws cameo was pretty neat). Gameplay wise in my opinion it also felt tighter than Final Fight in a couple of respects, it had a slightly more fleshed out moves list and its the game that keeps me coming back to play again and again (I've heard the MD port isn't to bad but they made some cuts to it that might hamper my enjoyment of the game).

Alien Vs Predator is the other big game that keeps me coming back. Its one of the few CPS2 boards I picked up as I like it so much. Gameplay wise its fast paced with a decent combat system that's almost flawless (in my opinion). I loved using the Predator characters the most, with a decent array of different Aliens to kill and some badass boss fights along the way. Its such a shame this game never saw any kind of release outside of the arcades.

Sega’s Spiderman arcade game might seem like an odd choice, all told its not actually all that good compared to others I’ve played but as I’m a big fan of the character I still picked up an arcade board when I had the chance.
The two things that I really like about the game are the graphics (they are really slick 2D sprites for all the characters) and the sheer amount of villains the game includes (pretty much his entire rogues gallery at the time). I liked the 2D platforming sections the game threw at you but they could be a tad tedious outside of boss battles in places (especially the final level) and the one thing I hated with the game was that your health bar constantly drained making the game harder than it had to be (I did manage to get fairly good at it after a while though…)

Captain America and the Avengers is a game that I prefer the arcade version compared to the lacklustre console ports. The arcade version, looks, sounds and plays nicer than the MD version (which is the goodish port, not the abomination of a Snes port). It has a decent load of villains included and I always find myself playing it from time to time for the hell of it. Collision detection at times could be a bit spotty on enemies and the combat is not as tight as other beat em ups so I think I mainly prefer playing it for nostalgic reasons?

Konami’s X-Men is pretty much like any of the other Konami beat em ups released around the period. I love the graphics, the music and the huge enemies but actually am not as fond of the combat say compared to Capcom’s releases, characters feel quite limited with the small amount of moves they get. Its still a game I enjoy playing through from time to time for the hell of it.

For Konami’s Turtles games I much prefer the console ports compared to the arcade originals. For the original arcade game (or Turtles 2 on the NES) I much preferred the added content of the console version (more bosses and levels) and its something that I play quite a bit on my Playchoice 10 cab. Not a patch on Turtles in Time though which is one of my favourite beat em ups thanks to the combat feeling tighter and collision detection feeling more responsive on the console version compared to the arcade version. Plus like Turtles 2 I really liked the additional levels and boss battles the game got, and like with all Konami games of the time the graphics and sound were excellent.

Armoured Warriors by Capcom isn’t based on comic but is an offshoot of another fairly obscure Capcom game (Cyberbots) which lets you pilot the mechs from Cyberbots in a scrolling beat em up. What I liked about the game so much is that you can smash off limbs of enemies and replace your own limbs with the ones you smashed off (so you can replace your arms with drills, lasers, swords etc.) while also customising mechs further replacing their lower torso with tank treads, spider legs and such. It’s yet another fun game that like Battle Circuit (another great CPS2 beat em up) never saw a home release unfortunately. Too bad Capcom doesn’t re-release these as opposed to Commando and 1943 for the 100th time with their retro collections 

One last game I’ve always had a soft spot for (and to my knowledge has nothing what so ever to do with a comic book) is Konami’s Violent Storm. It comes across as an eccentric take on Final Fight with even bigger sprites, crazy bosses and more in depth combat (characters had more moves at there disposal). Its incredibly fast paced and great fun to play, the combat is just right being just deep enough without being complicated and the bosses are all really weird and crazy fun to fight. It does get brutally difficult toward the end with the last couple of bosses!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*