All about scrolling fighters.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nakamura

All about scrolling fighters.

Post by nakamura » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:20 am

I have been craving scrolling fighters recently for some reason so I thought this would be a good place to chat and gather info about them. We all know about the big hitters like Streets of Rage and Final Fight but there are probably a shed load I personally know little about.

I was playing the Super Double Dragon rom on my Wii emulator last week and absolutely loved it. Back when I played it in 1993 I thought it was terrible but on closer inspection it is actually a pretty deep fighter with some great combat moves. I love the block feature which doubles as a counter mechanic. Also plenty of moves in the game. Graphics are pretty weak mind, probably why I was put off as a kid.

Street Gangs is my overall favourite scrolling fighter. I would love to track a GBA copy but not had much luck yet. I love the mix of RPG and fighting action and the Double Dragon cameos are cool. Loads of moves too.

Streets of Rage 1-2 I really like, 2 being absolutely superb. Remake is also fantastic stuff but never keen on 3. Final Fight is also something I found to be rather overrated. I didn't care for Rival Turf/Rushing Beat either.

Batman Returns on SNES is another huge favourite. Still trying to track a copy of that also!

Tell us your favs. Hidden gems etc!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

joefish

Re: All about scrolling fighters.

Post by joefish » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:29 am

I quite enjoyed the Tekken Force game that was in, I think, Tekken 3 on the PS1.
My main favourites are Final Fight and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. The 4-player arcade TMNTurtles was good too. I tried Aliens vs Predator but all in all I find the genre quite repetitive. I prefer the shooter types like arcade Aliens and Alien Storm, but even those get a bit tedious if you try and play right through.

And if you go right back, I want to know what all the fuss is about Karateka? I found it unbelievably slow and unresponsive. Running from one guardian to the next is so slow and lurching that you don't want to waste a step, but just run into the next opponent and you drop dead on the spot. Attacks are just as dull watching them play out, yet defensive moves are practically impossible as you have to input your command about half an hour before you want it to connect.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:43 am

I have a real soft spot for Fist 2 on the c64. I adored WOTEF, still do, and I wanted Fist 2 to be as good if not better than the first game. I was disappointed with Fist 2, but I still enjoyed it and I still revisit it.

I'll have to mention Karateka, also C64, and King Fu Master both arcade and c64 versions were superb.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:05 pm

Anybody who hasn't needs to play Violent Storm (Konami) via MAME. It's brilliant fun and a damn shame that it was never ported to home formats.

Other lesser-mentioned scrollers that I enjoy would have to be Super Ninja Baseball Batman, 64th Street: A Detective Story (even though it is pretty crappy) and the arcade Battletoads...all awesome games and none of them were converted :(

Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder gets an obligatory mention for being one of my favourite scrolling beat 'em ups but again, no home conversion which sucks since it's easily the best GA game of all in my book. It's also crap that Sega left this in the arcade but ported Golden Axe: The Duel to the Saturn instead :roll:

I love Alien Vs Predator, The Punisher, Cadillacs & Dinosaurs plus the Streets of Rage games also (I have Jap MD copies of Bare Knuckle 2 and 3). SoR2 is easily my fave, 3 is okay but far too overblown and difficult (I have managed to beat it a few times though). Remake is where it's at though - it's one of the most awesome things ever!

Final Fight is okay too; not my favourite but still good. The SNES sequels are a bit weak though...FF3 is decent enough but both games fall into the trap of making the player stay on the same screen for ages with loads of enemies swarming in. Not so bad in a great game like SoR Remake but in an average beat 'em up it's a bit tedious.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ulala

Post by ulala » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:28 pm

Scrolling fighter? ahh, a beat em up!

I like goldenaxe.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:44 pm

Bad dudes vs. Dragonninja! Crap game but has the premise of 'the president has been kidnapped by ninjas' which can never be beaten

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:50 pm

Vendetta by konami arcade so needs to be mamed 4 player like turtles and simpsons awesome.Also cadillacs and dinosaurs.Prob my fave genre
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:05 pm

Arabian Magic (as can be found on Taito Legends 2) warrants a mention - I've played it through to completion quite a few times.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:13 pm

almost all the capcom cps2 scrolling fighters are ace
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Batman Returns (SNES) is one of my favouite games ever but it really needed a multi element, though that obviously wouldn't have possibile while staying true to the film.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:09 pm

Double Dragon (arcade) is still the best.

other great games:

Renegade
Two Crude Dudes (also called Crude Busters)
Kung Fu Master
Vigilante
Final Fight
Streets Of Rage trilogy
Shadow Warriors
Dragon Ninja

loved this genre, shame it faded away

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Golden Axe is awesome because its the first Megadrive game I ever played and was completely blown away.

Final Fight because I randomly stumbled across this in a chip shop and it was the sound that drew me in. The noises made when hits connected just seemed so hard. Plus Haggars pile driver is still cool! 8)

Love Simpsons, Double Dragon, Knights Of The Round..... all the usual suspects really.

My all time favourite is probably Streets Of Rage on the Megadrive. Me and my cousin would sit and beat it over and over again and never get bored. I just love that game. Plus it's got an amazing soundtrack. If that game had a vagina, I'd censored it.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Battle Circuit and Knuckle Bash.
Splink!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:26 pm

My favourite genre I agree with everything that Megamixer and Aztecca have said but I'd also add

Snes
Ghost Chaser Densai
Rushing Beat Shura
Gourmet_Sentai_-_Bara_Yarou http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_P17LWYusE
Combatribes
Masked Rider Kamen Rider
Battle Zeque Den

I'm going for more obscure games here
Arcade
Night Slashers hammer horror themed scrolling beat em up
Battle Circuit
B Rap Boys DJ Boys 2
Punisher
Cadiliacs and Dinosaurs
Shadow Warriors
Oriental Legend 2

GBA Double Dragon Advance my fav GBA game
NES Double Dragon series Double Dragon 2 is the highlight
PC Engine Double Dragon NES Double Dragon 2 with anime cut scene's
Megadrive - somethng like Kabuki Fighter 'OPtimis was selling it (very easy did it on first go but fun)

Later Knights of Valour games and Road of the Sword mame
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:31 pm

Target Renegade on the Spectrum +2 is just the greatest scrolling fighter of all time. FACT.