Classic Tomb Raider - These games are so hard!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ShadowNeku

Classic Tomb Raider - These games are so hard!

Post by ShadowNeku » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:22 pm

I only got to play Tomb Raider 1 and 2 briefly when i was a kid and just messed around with cheats to level skip. Now as an adult i own 1-4 and these games are kicking my arse. The traps get me every time and i can only avoid them once i already know where they are. Some of them require such precise timing and use of specific manoeuvres that i don't see how anyone could succeed on a first attempt. I'm only on the second level of Tomb Raider 3 and i must have been killed 12 times already!

Please tell me i'm not the only one that sucks at these so bad?
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

nakamura

Re: Classic Tomb Raider - These games are so hard!

Post by nakamura » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:23 pm

You suck bro.

Funny you should mention these though as I had a strange fancy to have a play on them last night, the first in particular. The first was brilliant back in the day and I haven't played it properly since the 90's.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:47 pm

Mostly its a case of holding the 'safe walk' button so she'll grab a ledge if she falls. Run around willy nilly in new areas and you will die.

You soon learn to judge just what she's capable of and to spot safe areas to run and climb. Yes, there's a few spots where you'll be lucky to pass something first time, but mostly they're quite fair games. Part of it is the puzzle of working out which moves to do to get through a section. With experience you'll be able to judge it in most cases.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:10 pm

You've probably forgotten those traps got you when younger the first time around as well! :) TR 1&2 are great games though

Dam

Post by Dam » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:15 pm

I played the original straight after I played anniversary a few years ago, and I didn't think it was particularly hard. Like antiriad says, you have to take your time with the jumps and stuff though.

I do seem to remember, however, finding Tomb Raider 2 difficult to the point of being infuriating when I had it BITD. I gave up on it without finishing it.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:34 pm

Iv bought, played through & completed the first 5 on PS and i can safely say overall TR3 was the hardest of the lot in terms of staying alive. There were some parts on TR2 that were as hard but they removed the save crystals and offered a save anywhere which made it easier and the fear of death was greatly reduced. And as far as puzzle solving i think TR1 was the hardest and best. The way they managed to link the City & Obelisk of Khamoon levels was brilliant amongst so much else. Just remember in the first game Lara can't break polygons to jump. What this means is that you have to time your jumping at the beginning or end of each run step. Wait for her to plant her feet or one foot then hold the jump. Once you learn that and get used to the controls you will be fine. TR2 & 3 were both brilliant but 3 on the PS was a bit glitchy. TR The Last Revelation had some good levels but later on quickly descended to poor and dull. TR5 wasn't i.m.o a good game at all and i was glad when it was over.

Oh and ShadowNeku the 2nd level of TR3 (Temple Of Shiva) is a very big and hard 2nd level. I remember back in the day when i first did it and this was after playing through and completing TR1 & 2 that there is no way it should of been a 2nd level as it was too big and hard for a level that early on.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:34 pm

Tomb Raider 1 has a tolerable difficulty. Most of the deaths were as a result of messed up jumps rather than "Sudden boulders!". I just completed the Temple of Shiva sonic and as you say, it is obscenely difficult for such an early level in the game. I died around 10 times alone in a room with a spiked ceiling that challenges you to press two switches and drop through the resulting opening in the floor. The timing has to be to the second for you to make it. I've actually given up on it now as level 3 is already winding me up with the quad-bike jumps :?
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:14 pm

the crap grid based controls do not help much either
the controls of the game activley fight you
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:38 pm

snowkatt wrote:the crap grid based controls do not help much either
the controls of the game activley fight you
Just a case of getting used to them. I played through the first TR not so long back, just because.... and i only died a handful of times through the entire game. (Mind you i have completed it several times before).

I think the first playthrough of TR 1 is needed to learn the controls properly and become fluid in your movements. TR 3 was my personal nemesis of the series. I struggled with that one for some reason.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:49 pm

I only put any time into one TR game, it was on the PS1 and was either 2 or 3 (I think). There was a level after some boat crap where you had to ninja crap to the top of this building via rafters and stuff? the controls were horrendous and it killed the game for me, I did get quite far into it as well (I think).

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:34 am

The only decent early TR game is the original.

You have to get used to the controls and camera angles, but when you do it plays dividends. One (if not the only) PS1 game I ever finished. It takes time and perseverence, which is something most games these days don't require for you to get good at/finish.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:46 am

I must admit I think the first game is still fantastic game design and with a bit of tweaking would be far better than the heavily checkpointed/regenerating health dross we get today.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:51 am

The important thing with the PS1 TR games is not to fight the controls or try and rush them as in trying to turn sharper than they allow but being smooth with them. I can complete the first 3 games using ONLY pistols getting every secret and pickup and without using a single medi-pack throught the entire 3 games although iv played them alot. And Paranoid Marvin although the 1st was definitely the best there really was some great levels in TR2 & 3 and both were overall (if you enjoyed the 1st) very good games.

I think the reason the level design was so superb is simply because they were designed with squares and not spherical as well as being tightly packed. If you look at buildings/rooms/hallways in real life they are mostly of the same design.

ShadowNeku i hope you persevere with 3 as although hard it is a great TR with some excellent levels. The Quad Bike level (River Ganges) is fairly short and the 4th even shorter as it's basically a boss level.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:36 am

Well, I completed the original Saturn version in 1996 using that crappy PAL SS D-pad so it's definitely doable. ;)

Got to agree with those saying the original was best, I played 2 and 3 and they lacked the atmos, plus 3 can be a nightmare to find your way around in. They seem harder purely cos games hold your hand nowadays, especially when you're about to fall from a ledge (I've found that a lot of games don't allow you to fall anymore!)

Love how it still feels 'dangerous', it still gives a good sense of vertigo as it's clear any false move will result in a plummet to the death!

joefish

Post by joefish » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:51 am

Yep, I still think 1 had the best design with all the exploring. 2 was just corridors and sudden-death traps that you had to learn and re-try each time - a lot less fun. 3 was bigger but more about hidden routes, and frankly it got a bit boring.