Playing Retro Handhelds In Public

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Scratch_Porkings

Re: Playing Retro Handhelds In Public

Post by Scratch_Porkings » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:40 pm

shakeyournoggin wrote: I get my modded DMG Gameboy though its going everywhere with me lol.
I just had to Google that never heard of them, they look awesome! My favourite gameboy though was the GB micro backlit. the same old games were transformed, loved it. can't find it anymore :(
Scott me up beamie!

NES4Life

Post by NES4Life » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:33 am

Been playing my Hyperkin Supaboy on the train recently with Zelda Link to the Past. Also played the FC-Mobile II with a Kirby on NES.

Both have led me to have great conversations with other passengers.
> > > > > > P

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:43 am

Dont think theres anything wrong with playing handhelds in public, specially nowadays with so many people playing games on phones (who never used to)

Still got the classic problem, the annoying gits who have the volume on their games and wont use headphones ! Arrrgh pain !

eevee128

Post by eevee128 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:07 pm

I've been playing my original GameBoy on the bus, and all the people think it looks like a gray box. Which it basically is, but there's WAY more to it than that. Those people just don't see its beauty. :D

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:39 pm

The best thing about the DMG is the battery life and sound.

Caused a revival in college when I went nuts with Pokemon and my various Game Boy machines. Had about 20 at one point.

Just my Famitsu Light (needs a copy of Super Mario Land 2) and my DMG now though.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

hawkeye448

Post by hawkeye448 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:32 am

The old orange Game and Watch LCD Donkey Kong would be a laugh.

Just look like a peculiar coloured Nintendo DS.

PlodMadLoon

Post by PlodMadLoon » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:57 pm

I'm a big handheld fan and I play my 3DS all the time. While I do like the idea of being able to take it anywhere, something always stops me from actually playing it "outside". Maybe I'm afraid of it being nicked or some random chav on the bus deciding to make a smart arse comment about it or something. :(

When I was in a job where I was monitoring machinery the whole shift I did sometimes used to take my DS or PSP with me to pass the hours on the late shift. But that's about as far as I ever went.

RuySan

Post by RuySan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:14 pm

All these coments about chavs nicking things makes me want to ask "Is the UK that dangerous"?, or are you all younger than I thought?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:00 pm

I was playing my BMX Flyer on the bus a couple of weeks ago. I gave not a jot about thieves or comments, I was having too much fun.

I can't see why someone saying something would be a concern, and I'd imagine the average tea leaf would much rather nick a shiny new phone or other fancy tech they knew they could flog on for a decent price. An old Gameboy or similar is fairly worthless to them.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:39 am

Just before Christmas I had a lovely conversation on the bus with an 83-year-old lady playing Tetris on a GBC. Next time I get that bus I'm going to bring mine as well as a link cable.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:29 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:I was playing my BMX Flyer on the bus a couple of weeks ago. I gave not a jot about thieves or comments, I was having too much fun.

I can't see why someone saying something would be a concern, and I'd imagine the average tea leaf would much rather nick a shiny new phone or other fancy tech they knew they could flog on for a decent price. An old Gameboy or similar is fairly worthless to them.
That's a fair point, the only thieves would be perhaps curious dudes on what the thing is, otherwise you're really more likely to be mugged for your latest flash phone

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:09 am

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Binatone-Brick- ... B00GN88E42

I like new phones...................

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:08 am

I play loads of games on my iphone when i'm on the tube/train etc, its very 'normal' now. But the worst thing are people who dont turn the volume down and who dont have headphones. No one wants to listen to the music of your game ! Arrgh !

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:12 am

psj3809 wrote:I play loads of games on my iphone when i'm on the tube/train etc, its very 'normal' now. But the worst thing are people who dont turn the volume down and who dont have headphones. No one wants to listen to the music of your game ! Arrgh !
Mrs Ant has been embarrassed by me on multiple occasions, as I have no problem loudly stating "that's annoying" when people do that, or just outright asking them to turn it down. I always use headphones on the bus.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:15 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
psj3809 wrote:I play loads of games on my iphone when i'm on the tube/train etc, its very 'normal' now. But the worst thing are people who dont turn the volume down and who dont have headphones. No one wants to listen to the music of your game ! Arrgh !
Mrs Ant has been embarrassed by me on multiple occasions, as I have no problem loudly stating "that's annoying" when people do that, or just outright asking them to turn it down. I always use headphones on the bus.
Yeah i'm 'typically british' and i dont often say anything, like on a 'quiet' carriage on a train and some idiots on the phone telling their wife what they want for dinner, eventually i'll evil them and say something but not straight away.

But i do find it weird what goes through that persons brain, i mean they're sat there on a train playing crap like Candy Crush and all you can hear is the volume blaring out, why dont they think 'i'm sure this will annoy everyone on this train, i'll stop and turn the volume down...' but they dont. Odd

Saying that its the same with people who are 'allergic' to deodrants, a couple of times i've thought 'SURELY that person has friends/family to say to them 'you bloody stink..' ? But no !