What Is Retro?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:19 pm

Nice link Andy! :)

I can't mention the word I used, on a family forum like this. Needless to say, it is part of Jim Royle's catchphrase! :lol:

sparky

Re:

Post by sparky » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:49 am

andy vaisey wrote:Nice acrostic Sparky! 8)
Thankyou my friend, we aim to please.

I'm sure there's other words that could be used :wink:

Szczepaniak

Post by Szczepaniak » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:13 am

What is retro? Tough one. Though I personally like the idea of classing everything up to and including the Dreamcast. All the systems, that for the most part, have been abandoned commercially.

Generally though, I often look at modern games and consider them "retro styled". For example take the Metal Slug games (which are up to version 6 now), or other similar titles released recently, they have both a visual and playing style that harks back more than a decade. The other big thing is, these types of games are now the minority. Developers don't like creating games with an old fashioned feel to them. SO when they come out, they should be praised for championing an older style of design and development. People complain that modern games leave them cold, perhaps if more people praised the older style games released on new systems, we would see more of them.

Take Ninja Cop, which a topic was started on. It's a game that could have come straight out of the very late 80s, early 90s. And yet it's on a fairly modern-ish handheld. I consider it as retro styled, since to me it feels like all the best bits from Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden, et al.

Then the waters are muddied even further when you consider that older systems are still receiving new games. The MSX home computer scene in Holland is huge, and there are still frequent-ish new releases and translation patches coming out. A rather good Bomberman clone springs to mind actually.

I personally hope the new RG covers these things a bit more, since it's always interesting to hear about old hardware having new games come out on them.

The wider and more balanced the coverage, the better. If Darran keeps his promise of balance, by covering a little bit of everything each month, then there should be enough content to keep New RG lasting for a very long time.

superstarbeejay

Post by superstarbeejay » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:30 pm

I have over 1500 games for older games systems and am quite clearly a collector but I still feel a little alienated by the term 'retro'.

This is the main reason that I stoped buying RG. I have never owned or played a spectrum or C64 and don't really care to either. RG initially alienated me with long winded rose tinted articles about games and systems that are not of my generation.

For me, what Darren achieved in his previous role was a balance to keep everyone interested. I am interested in 'retro' but I like to see articles spanning everything great about gaming that I can't buy new today, even if that means early PS2 titles.

The arguement about retro 'style' is interesting. We are facing an interesting time in gaming when the likes of the DS, Rev and the rise of online poker are bringing whole new dimensions to the videogame world.

Some new games are great because they look to the future and some are great because they refine the past to unprecidented levels.

In conclusion I wouldn't say I am a retro gamer but a gamer who likes to cast an eye backwards aswell as forwards. There are plenty of great games coming out and plenty that have been made that I haven't experience. My gaming accomodates both and so will my magazine subs. as long as Darren gets it right. :wink:

LeeT

Post by LeeT » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:39 pm

Well I wouldn't want to see early PS2 games featured as that was only four to five years ago - That was one of my fw gripes about old RG - The reviews of GBA/PS2 games that had a tenuous retro link.

sparky

Post by sparky » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:08 pm

Looking at the meaning 'Retrospective'

Retrospective (from Latin retrospectare, "look back") generally means to take a look back at events that already have taken place.

Retro, I'm guessing is purely a label that has been used to identify items of the past and probably taken from the above word.

:wink:

andy vaisey

Re:

Post by andy vaisey » Mon Dec 05, 2005 1:53 pm

LeeT wrote:Well I wouldn't want to see early PS2 games featured as that was only four to five years ago - That was one of my fw gripes about old RG - The reviews of GBA/PS2 games that had a tenuous retro link.
Indeed. Also, I was annoyed when they did the top 50 (?) games; how many of those games just weren't retro enough? They shouldn't have been allowed in my opinion. :|

Jakeway

Post by Jakeway » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:06 am

Nice views guys…

Although I hate the thought of the anything after the PS1 being call Retro, I don’t mind these consoles being used in retro magazines. Most other magazines have drop support for these consoles, and its nice to still read about them.

I hope your going to cover that NEW (2006) Dreamcast Shmup, Radilgy.
:lol:
UK Arcade Database isn’t going to work without support.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:32 am

Well, IMO anything up and including the 1st GameBoy/SNES/Lynx/GameGear is retro - everything else, including the PS1, is just too recent.
It's on the verge of being retro, certainly, but just needs a couple of years more to get there.

PoloPlayr

Post by PoloPlayr » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:04 am

16 bit and below.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:27 am

Yeah I'd go with that as a catch-all.

16-bit and below. Covers is nicely.

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:38 am

DonkeySpank wrote:Yeah I'd go with that as a catch-all.

16-bit and below. Covers is nicely.
But then you are missing out Jaguar, Saturn, Dreamcast, N64 and years of Gameboy brilliance...

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:49 am

DOH! :shock:

Shane R. Monroe

Post by Shane R. Monroe » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:47 pm

As I've mentioned on the RGR forums with regards to classic vs retro gaming ... Note - I speak in absolutes, but this is my opinion only.

Classic Gaming is an ERA, not a relative time frame.
Retro Gaming is a time frame that is relative to your own experience and existance.

Pac-Man is part of the Classic Gaming era. It has been, and always shall be a CLASSIC GAME.

Halo is not a Classic Game. Nor shall it EVER be, no matter how much time passes between its induction and the present. However, it can be considered a RETRO game, based on your age, involvement with the title. Is Halo RETRO gaming for someone that's picked it up TODAY for the first time?

The era that began video games - that fashioned them into the molds we have today ... that created the marketplace, that showed the way ... that inspired and dare I say practically RAISED the first generation of people with access to them. THAT is the Classic Gaming era. And while I can't tell you EXACTLY when the cut off date is, its something that doesn't shift year to year.

You aren't going to see Halo in the Smithsonian next to Pac-Man and Dragon's Lair.
--
Shane R. Monroe
Retro Gamer Magazine, America Free Retro

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Dec 08, 2005 5:02 pm

Retro: 8-bit
(I'm running Amiga sw as we type, and its games are too big, too technical, too detailed, and too advanced to go by the definition of Retro in my mind. Oh well.)