Your favourite 16-bit platformer

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

8bitwarrior

Re: Your favourite 16-bit platformer

Post by 8bitwarrior » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:24 pm

The Laird wrote:
8bitwarrior wrote:
dwarfsforge wrote:I always loved Super Frog on Amiga but also Zool was cool.
I was always too busy with a Sim or RTS game on the Amiga to get into these two. I always thought Superfrog was the better game but Zool seemed to be the "mascot" for Commodore during the 'bit wars' era. By the time I was playing Superfrog etc I had an Amiga 1200 which if you want to get technical wasn't a 16-bit computer was it (32-bit) :?: AGA or something...
Strange comment seen as Zool also appeared on the Game Boy, Master System, Mega Drive, SNES, Jaguar, Atari ST and Game Gear among others. Where as Superfrog was only on the Amiga and the PC.
Well, like a whole bunch of games such as Worms etc, Zool was first released on the Amiga. I think it would of been more accurate to say Zool was more of a mascot to Gremlin though not Commodore.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:40 pm

Commodore tried despertely to get a mascot, like Sega's Sonic or Nintendo's Mario, but it never quite made it. Brian the Lion, Oscar, James Pond, Zool- there were plenty of platformers that could have lent their moniker to the Amiga. But in the end it was either that red+white ball or King Tut that was most synonymous with Commdore's machine.

The problem is that there was no decent platformer with a standout character that was available soley for the machine.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:11 pm

Quack Shot :D Man I love that game

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:51 pm

robocod on the amiga was also a good fun game

but prob super mario world or yoshis island - both still amazing to play today

8bitwarrior

Post by 8bitwarrior » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:10 pm

mainvein wrote:robocod on the amiga was also a good fun game
Can't believe I forgot this game!

Know Flashback has been mentioned but also Another World was a great atmospheric platformer!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:24 pm

8bitwarrior wrote: Know Flashback has been mentioned but also Another World was a great atmospheric platformer!
They are arcade adventures not platformers but then you said Contra earlier and that is a run & gun so what do I know :lol:

8bitwarrior

Post by 8bitwarrior » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:31 pm

The Laird wrote:
8bitwarrior wrote: Know Flashback has been mentioned but also Another World was a great atmospheric platformer!
They are arcade adventures not platformers but then you said Contra earlier and that is a run & gun so what do I know :lol:
Can of worms :twisted:

piginapoke

Post by piginapoke » Wed May 01, 2013 3:12 am

Sonic the Hedgehog on Megadrive - the original had a massive impact and that first level never fails to impress with its speed, graphics and sonix :D
"An intruder has penetrated our forcefield"

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Wed May 01, 2013 5:44 am

piginapoke wrote:Sonic the Hedgehog on Megadrive - the original had a massive impact and that first level never fails to impress with its speed, graphics and sonix :D
Yeah, although I always think of sonic 2 as the better of the original mega drive titles, sonic 1 gets played so much more in my house - despite the dodgy level order I personally prefer sonic 1, more memories. Also, I know this is a majorly sad thing to say but the music in that game makes my hair stand on end :lol: