DOOM - 20 years on and still going strong

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

kiwimike

Re: DOOM - 20 years on and still going strong

Post by kiwimike » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:00 pm

Dreamer wrote:
snowkatt wrote:i can see the appeal and above all the level are huge and its a game meant to be played without scripted events
linear levels
or nonsense cutscenes with rubbish stories

all you need in doom is hell is invading a military base on mars go and stop the bastids !

20 years on doom is still better then most fps games
I agree. I can't stand the linearity of modern games and Health Re-gen drives me nuts! they may as well just add a cheat menu to the start of each game. It just feels like Publishers/Developers seem to think that the average gamer has a brain the size of an ants, so feel the need to simplify them beyond belief.

It looks a little something like this:

I didn't over exaggerate, honest! :)
:lol: I LOVE those maps! Should be a wall poster, show young whipper snappers what real games were! :lol:

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:05 pm

Original Doom maps were indeed epic. Genius in fact.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:11 pm

koopa42 wrote:Original Doom maps were indeed epic. Genius in fact.
Oh yes...that's the reason I couldn't get into the N64 version over PS1 (and PC of course), the levels were just fantastic

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:12 pm

That's part of the reason I think the game was so great - the combination of brilliant tech (John Carmack) and brilliant level design (John Romero)
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:20 pm

Saturn Doom was woeful. Some bits were so slow as to be almost unplayable. It was surprising it was so censored, considering how good Quake, Duke and Exhumed ran.
Thoughts and prayers.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:23 pm

Saturn doom lol dog poo in your eyes

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:53 pm

PS1 Doom was the best IMO, improved over the PC original in lighting, music, miles better than the snes, 32x, 3do and Saturn versions, and plays better than the Jag one by having strafe buttons for starters (I'm not talking pro controller, only standard controllers that car with systems) plus was great to have 2 player link up with only one copy of the game!
Plus it had more levels and monsters than any other console version, truely great port and the one I go back to every few months.
Last edited by AmigaJay on Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:03 pm

AmigaJay wrote:PS1 Doom was the best IMO, improved over the PC original in lighting, music, miles better than the snes, 32x, 3do and Saturn versions, and plays better than the Jag one by having strafe buttons for starters (I'm not talking pro controller, only standard controllers that car with systems) plus was great to have 2 player link up with only one copy of the game!
Truely great port and the one I go back to every few months.

The Playstation pad almost felt built for Doom. Shame that they removed a few of my favourite Doom 2 levels and the Arch Vile though

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:21 pm

jdanddiet wrote:That's part of the reason I think the game was so great - the combination of brilliant tech (John Carmack) and brilliant level design (John Romero)
Question...if Carmacks fave console version was Jag, what was Romeros?

I think it's high time I grabbed out the RG Doom issues, and Masters of Doom off the shelf and did some rereading! :)

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:21 am

kiwimike wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:That's part of the reason I think the game was so great - the combination of brilliant tech (John Carmack) and brilliant level design (John Romero)

I think it's high time I grabbed out the RG Doom issues, and Masters of Doom off the shelf and did some rereading! :)
Well Carmacks quote was either before the PS1 version came out or the fact he didnt work on the PS1 version, so slightly biased opinion there!
On the back of the US release of PS1 Doom it was a quote from Romero as "best Doom yet!"

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:10 am

AmigaJay wrote:
kiwimike wrote:

Well Carmacks quote was either before the PS1 version came out or the fact he didnt work on the PS1 version, so slightly biased opinion there!
On the back of the US release of PS1 Doom it was a quote from Romero as "best Doom yet!"
Carmack is a legend in this industry for sure, but his word and opinion aren't gospel. Even when it comes to his own games. Carmack was the man behind the tech that allowed Romeo's visions to be realised. So in terms of what the end user gets, i.e. the fun to be had playing the game in an environment built on Carmack's undoubted technical genius, is, I'd argue, more to do with gameplay elements that are more likely to have come from others, inc Romero, at id.

I love the Doom games. I still play Doom & Doom 2, only finishing Doom 2 on XBLA at Christmas last year. I've also just finished Doom3 and currently I'm playing Resurrection of Evil. I agree about the maps though. D3 is disappointing in that area but it still scares the cr@p out of me and far more than D & D2 ever could.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:42 am

Some interesting opinions on Doom here, not all of them are valid in my opinion haha

No one has mentioned WADS yet, the abundance of extra maps and mods (which are still made today) are a testament to the greatness of Doom.

Someone mentioned that the Jag version was the only one Carmack programmed, I'm sure I've read a story where he programmed the 32X version in like 24 hours?

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:03 am

RUOK wrote:Some interesting opinions on Doom here, not all of them are valid in my opinion haha

No one has mentioned WADS yet, the abundance of extra maps and mods (which are still made today) are a testament to the greatness of Doom.

Someone mentioned that the Jag version was the only one Carmack programmed, I'm sure I've read a story where he programmed the 32X version in like 24 hours?
No I read it took around 6 months to convert (summer-autumn 94) and even Carmack wasn't enough to pull enough power from the 32-X for a decent conversion.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:00 am

OK the 24 hours was incorrect but Retro Gamers article on the 32X says:

"I spent weeks working with John Carmack, who literally camped out at the Sega of America building in Redwood City trying to get Doom ported"

So John Carmack did work on another console version of Doom

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:02 am

RUOK wrote:Some interesting opinions on Doom here, not all of them are valid in my opinion haha

Wait until you read my massive part 2 of the Doom feature. it focuses entirely on mods, wads and addons! :D