DOOM - 20 years on and still going strong

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ChipTune

Re: DOOM - 20 years on and still going strong

Post by ChipTune » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:48 am

batman877 wrote:
gman72 wrote:PS1 Doom kicked creepy ass. The biggest and best verion bar none.
I assume you're talking about 'Final Doom' which was indeed very good for a PS1 game. The original 'Doom' on PS1 was good too, however have you tried the N64 version? Bigger and better.
I never really got on that well with N64 Doom. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good game, and keeps the core elements that made original Doom great. But I didn't enjoy it very much when I played it recently, prefering the Playstation version. BUT.. and this is very cool (and will feature in part 2 of my Doom feature) is that you can run the original N64 rom of Doom in a certain way using a source port on your PC.. and voila! N64 Doom in high res HD with mouse and keyboard controls.. very cool! :D

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:16 am

That was a nice overview, Chiptune. :D
After reading it I got all moist for some Doom action and looked up the Classic Doom Complete collection on PSN. I was hoping that it included the Playstation versions of Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom as I love the atmosphere that is created by the music and the extra animation in the backgrounds and skies, also I know a joypad cheat to reveal the whole map which is how i like to play. Alas, after some quick checking online I discover that have used PC ports for this collection complete with that crappy, tinny rock music that I can't stand. As I already own Doom, Doom2 and Final Doom on PS1 then i'm just gonna play those on my PS3 and save 11.99 :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:26 am

gman72 wrote:That was a nice overview, Chiptune. :D
After reading it I got all moist for some Doom action and looked up the Classic Doom Complete collection on PSN. I was hoping that it included the Playstation versions of Doom, Doom 2 and Final Doom as I love the atmosphere that is created by the music and the extra animation in the backgrounds and skies, also I know a joypad cheat to reveal the whole map which is how i like to play. Alas, after some quick checking online I discover that have used PC ports for this collection complete with that crappy, tinny rock music that I can't stand. As I already own Doom, Doom2 and Final Doom on PS1 then i'm just gonna play those on my PS3 and save 11.99 :D

It is worth it for Classic Doom Collection, I promise. But I can understand if you prefer the Playstation versions. The music is so sh1t.. horrible tinny rock music. UI'd have thought they could have at least included the original PSOne music or a remixed version. The Midi tunes are completely unlistenable. Though I have always muted the music and had some dark techno or drum & bass playing while Dooming anyway.

It would be worth getting it on PSN so we could play Co-Op though.. can I add you to my friends list?

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:51 am

ChipTune wrote:
gman72 wrote:That was a nice overview, Chiptune. :D

It is worth it for Classic Doom Collection, I promise. But I can understand if you prefer the Playstation versions. The music is so sh1t.. horrible tinny rock music. UI'd have thought they could have at least included the original PSOne music or a remixed version. The Midi tunes are completely unlistenable. Though I have always muted the music and had some dark techno or drum & bass playing while Dooming anyway.

It would be worth getting it on PSN so we could play Co-Op though.. can I add you to my friends list?
OK Co-op it is. my PSN tag is supergman72 feel free to add me I will online tomorrow :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:44 pm

ChipTune wrote:I never really got on that well with N64 Doom. Don't get me wrong, it is a very good game, and keeps the core elements that made original Doom great. But I didn't enjoy it very much when I played it recently, prefering the Playstation version. BUT.. and this is very cool (and will feature in part 2 of my Doom feature) is that you can run the original N64 rom of Doom in a certain way using a source port on your PC.. and voila! N64 Doom in high res HD with mouse and keyboard controls.. very cool! :D

N64 Doom removed the reload animations for the shotguns, which is unforgivable in my book. That simple cycling animation for the combat shotgun was one of those awesome things i'd ever seen when it came out. It also wrote FPS law that every game must contain a shotgun, just as after Goldeneye they needed a sniper rifle

Also, if anyone wants to play either game on XBLA my username is below

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:40 pm

snowkatt wrote:i can see the appeal and above all the level are huge and its a game meant to be played without scripted events
linear levels
or nonsense cutscenes with rubbish stories

all you need in doom is hell is invading a military base on mars go and stop the bastids !

20 years on doom is still better then most fps games
I agree. I can't stand the linearity of modern games and Health Re-gen drives me nuts! they may as well just add a cheat menu to the start of each game. It just feels like Publishers/Developers seem to think that the average gamer has a brain the size of an ants, so feel the need to simplify them beyond belief.

It looks a little something like this:

I didn't over exaggerate, honest! :)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:53 pm

hey i think i know that 1993 map
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:59 pm

Doom... Brilliant....to this day.

Rage... Awful...gabbage..the driving bits especially.. it was a fiver weeks after release for a reason.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:31 pm

Rage was not even close to garbage, it was ace

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:36 pm

I bought the Doom 3 collection for PS3 last year, and thoroughly enjoyed playing through all the games. That said, I have yet to finish the add on for Doom 3, and I refuse to complete the 'Icon of Sin' level (too frustrating for me). It was worth it just to play Doom 3 finally (I had the PC version when it was originally released, but never had a decent enough PC to run it on!).

My only gripe with the collection is the online features for Doom and Doom II - hardly anyone seemed to be playing it, and when I did get a game going, it was pretty laggy (which I presume was nothing to do with my connection as all other online games are fine).

Any luck with the online Chiptune?

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:17 pm

snowkatt wrote:hey i think i know that 1993 map
e3m3 Pandemonium :)

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:20 pm

Dreamer wrote:
snowkatt wrote:hey i think i know that 1993 map
e3m3 Pandemonium :)

yezzz i am in the last 4 levels of doom 1 episode 3 so i passed that level fairly recently
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:29 pm

koopa42 wrote:Rage was not even close to garbage, it was ace
It's one of the few games I hated playing.. got zero enjoyment from it.... The driving sections handled so poorly...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:48 pm

N64 Doom- I agree with some comments here it was okay. I wanted to like it- but it wasn't as good as PS1 IMO. Looked good, didn't enjoy the levels as much and it just didn't feel as good to play.

Jag Doom. Can't comment on Jag Doom with any certainty as I never played it. On utube clips it looks great...I guess the proof is in how well it played.

I love the idea of a retro Doom night! Picking up some PS1s, linking them up with their own TVs...great deathmatch night! :)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:51 pm

slacey1070 wrote:
koopa42 wrote:Rage was not even close to garbage, it was ace
It's one of the few games I hated playing.. got zero enjoyment from it.... The driving sections handled so poorly...
Agreed about the tacked on driving crap