DOOM - 20 years on and still going strong

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

will2097

Re: DOOM - 20 years on and still going strong

Post by will2097 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:26 am

I hated Doom. Mostly because of the endless eulogising by PC owners. It was the only the game they had that they could sing about. And it just bored the crap out of me. The Amiga/3DO was where the cool kids were at. And the nerdy fat welsh ugly-girl-friended git had a 486SX. Bully.For.Him (This was 1993, which shows what a forgiving nature I have.)

However, shoot forward 20ish years and I read this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Masters-Doom-cr ... 0749924896

Completely changed my opinion on Doom.

The Jaguar version is indeed the best version in my honest opinion too. Carmack liked it because he could code straight to the Jaguar hardware, unlike the 3DO, which uses a model all modern consoles use, where you code to the OS, which in turn talks to the hardware. The 3DO version is the worst version, since poor old Rebecca Burger Bill Heineman got about 6 weeks to convert from the PC to the 3DO. There is a special circle of hell set aside for Randy Scott of Art Data for his lies and damn lies about the 3DO version. Although apparently the 3DO version has some 'features' not seen in other versions. The music is best on the 3DO mind. The Jag has no music. Although that's what HIFI stereo's were made for - right?

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:29 am

will2097 wrote:The Jaguar version is indeed the best version
The wrongest thing I've read today ....... After spamtune's accusation of course.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:45 am

You start off with the fusty-letter-boxed-blurred-sluggish 3DO version.Which is the worst.
Somewhere in the middle all the other versions. (n64, ps1, saturn, etc)
Finally, the Jaguar version is the crisp, light and pleasurable full screen version.

It's not hard. :)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:58 am

will2097 wrote:You start off with the fusty-letter-boxed-blurred-sluggish 3DO version.Which is the worst.
Finally, the Jaguar version is the crisp, light and pleasurable full screen version.

Was there any good 3DO games? I own SSFII for the 3DO but only as part of my SF collection.

will2097

Post by will2097 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:00 am

koopa42 wrote:
will2097 wrote:You start off with the fusty-letter-boxed-blurred-sluggish 3DO version.Which is the worst.

Was there any good 3DO games? I own SSFII for the 3DO but only as part of my SF collection.
Yes. Yes there were.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:08 pm

will2097 wrote:I hated Doom. Mostly because of the endless eulogising by PC owners. It was the only the game they had that they could sing about.
Bit unfair - we had X-Wing and Championship Manager, too!

I had a spontaneous urge the other day to play Doom so this thread is timely. I have the PSX version but agree with Chiptune that gameplay-wise it isn't the best version.

I had read that the game is now widely available to download and play for free (all episodes, not just the shareware one). Is this true and, if so, where can I find it (I know I could google to find a link but I'd rather go to a source that others have used and is thus reliable)? I presume DOSbox is needed for this kind of emulation?

Doom was probably the first game I played on PC, it being installed on a second-hand PC that a friend sold to my dad. Absolutely loved it.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Never played Doom “at the time“ so when I did eventually play it, It didn't look or feel like anything special. I do appreciate it's importance and understand why people love it but it's just not for me. I do like Doom 3 though.

Dam

Post by Dam » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:23 pm

koopa42 wrote:
will2097 wrote:The Jaguar version is indeed the best version
The wrongest thing I've read today ....... After spamtune's accusation of course.
Indeed. Doom wiki says that many of the other ports were based on the jaguar engine, so it looks like for the PS1 version they took the jaguar version, added loads more levels, added some music and gave it improved controls and its somehow worse? Yeah....Ok...

batman877

Post by batman877 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:39 pm

I recently picked up the PS3 version of 'Doom Trilogy' despite owning many other versions already (PC, PS1, N64 (brilliant version), XBOX and GBA) - the incentive of online play combined with trophy collecting got me hooked. It gets a thumbs ↑ from me!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:40 pm

[quote="ChipTune"]

I do actually want to start a discussion on Doom, before all the usual crowd start shouting "blog wh0re blog wh0re" while waving their pitch forks and burning torches in the air.

/quote]

who told you we were planning to do that ?!

anyway i think people here are well aware of my hate for anything fps so why the hell am i posting in a doom thread ?
because i actually have played doom and bought doom recently and i play through the glorious over long single player mode in a time when single player mode wasnt a 6 hour training for multiplayer currently i am nearing the end of episode 1 of ultimate doom

and even though i get tired off it in extended play throughs its great for short bursts and i can see the appeal
and above all the level are huge and its a game meant to be played without scripted events
linear levels
or nonsense cutscenes with rubbish stories
all you need in doom is hell is invading a military base on mars go and stop the bastids !

20 years on doom is stil better then most fps games
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:46 pm

Doom is better than most games full stop

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:50 pm

koopa42 wrote:Doom is better than most games full stop

i wouldnt go that far
but id rather play doom then any call of duty
or call of bond
or halo
or black
or most fps games from the last 10 years
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:57 pm

I'd rather play doom than 95% of other retro games, and a lot of modern ones too

will2097

Post by will2097 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:24 pm

I thought Black was ace.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:25 pm

PS1 Doom kicked creepy ass. The biggest and best verion bar none. That music... makes me shiver just thinking about it. I have the BFG edition on PS3 but have not really looked into it yet. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD