DOOM - 20 years on and still going strong

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: DOOM - 20 years on and still going strong

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:30 am

Like to point out

Recent shooters tend to stop getting new content a year or so after release.

DOOM has been getting new content for the past 20 years

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:22 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:
Some of the levels are genius, and the fact that you can occassionally get one monster to face off and fight another to the death is just a sight to behold.
I actually find it quite tricky to get the boys to turn on one another in Doom. It was almost too easy in Quake but never ceases to be fun.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:19 pm

DoraemonTheCat wrote:My memories of Doom

When it first came out, I just WANTED to play it really badly. I read all the hype, listened to everyone talk about what it was like playing, and actually watched it being played in an office where I worked in Texas.

BUT, I never owned a PC. And I didn't know too many people that had a PC either.

Regardless, I knew that one day, I WOULD be playing it. I didn't know when, or where - but I knew that I would, and that was all that mattered.

I felt there was something special about this game, even more so when Doom II came out.

Still sans PC, I bough a large DOOM II book - it had a red cover, was very big and even had a few discs (PC) in the back - maybe level editors, I can't remember - does anyone else know the book I am talking about, it got lost in a house move sometime ago.........

Fast forward to 2012 and I finally got hold of a special RETRO filled Xbox with Coinops5

Cycling through all the games, I noticed two standout names, Doom and Doom II

It was in this moment that I knew my search for the Holy Grail had come to an end. I blatently refused to play it on other systems that I had had the chance too - PSX and 32X..........because I fell in love with the original PC version, and ONLY this one would do.

I decided to jump straight into Doom II.

I played it long and hard. I now understood what all the fuss was about. It WAS epic. It WAS ground-breaking. It WAS Doom.

To date, I have made it to the 2nd to last level. The one with the boss that spits enemies out at you. My patience has started to dwindle a little, as it is really frustrating me. I have cheated a little, when stuck I have reverted to youtube to see when and where I have missed something, or if I am stuck trying to find a key-card..but, cheating a little has only kept me interested in seeing it all the way through.

I love some of the enemies. The Arch-Vile and Mech Spiders are soo cool. The fact that the Arch Vile can resurrect dead characters is genius. The Imps are the best looking - even my mrs said they were "cute"

The puzzles can lead to genuine head-scratching moments. Some of the levels are genius, and the fact that you can occassionally get one monster to face off and fight another to the death is just a sight to behold.

I am now currently working my way through the original Doom. I should have played this one first, so I could appreciate just how much better the sequel was, but I'm enjoying it regardless.

I can say with certainty, that I will always return to these games at some point.

Three games for the price of one = Shooter, Puzzle and Adventure? I was always going to be sold on it.

As for Doom 3 - I have it (the Limited Edition Collectors Ed) for my Xbox, but I just haven't wanted to play it for some reason. Several people have said it's a bit "meh" so. maybe one day.

Great thoughts on the game. And to think the mighty Edge magazine only rated it average at the time, on the grounds you couldn't talk to the monsters and form alliances! :lol: Edge dropped massively in my respect for their reviews after that.

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:26 pm

So, I love Doom. Always haved, since I was... oh, 4 or so. (Yes, I've been playing Doom since I was 4. Hasn't made me into a murderous psychopath at all! ...That I know of.) It's amazing for so many reasons, which I'm sure have all been covered here, so let me get to the point. I like Doom mods. I like them a lot. Like this one.

So, have you ever played Doom and said "You know, this is great, but what would make it even better is if it were basically Smash TV? And I was in a tank? And the Nazis from Wolfenstien 3D showed up?"

Do I have the game for you!

Basically, this is a Doom mod where you get put in an arena where you have to survive five rounds of 30 seconds, ending with a boss fight. The fun part is that every round has three 'reels', which effect what enemies you'll fight, what weapons you'll use, and lots of other crazy things, like being able to fly around. Or being in a friggin' tank.

I'm not going to lie, this is pretty much the most fun I've had with Doom in a very long time.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:45 pm

I have still yet to find a multiplayer game online on the PSN Doom Classic Complete!!! Booo!

But on the plus side I have been playing Skulltag on PC, which is fantastic!

I have been trawling through the very best modifications to finish off (finally) part 2 of a Doom Special feature I wrote a few weeks back.

This one focuses purely on all the source ports, mods and addons.

Does anyone here play any of these mods? And do you have any more recommendations for ones I have not mentioned?

Also I used the 3d models in the Risen3D source port and they look awful... Doom is all about the 2D spites! :D

Check out the feature here, and I welcome any comments. I realise I have missed the N64 mod Doom64EX so will add that now.

http://retrospiritgames.blogspot.co.uk/ ... still.html

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:55 pm

There's a good Doom post-mortem video lecture by John Romero and Tom Hall over at GDC Vault for those that like such things:

http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1014627/Cl ... Postmortem

Apologies if it has already been linked in here.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.