DOOM - 20 years on and still going strong

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ChipTune

DOOM - 20 years on and still going strong

Post by ChipTune » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:40 am

Ooh, here we go, another chance to annoy and irritate the vast majority (it would seem) of the people on this forum by making a post.

Will it be in the right section? Will I get chastised for "spamming" my blog? Let's roll the dice and find out!

I have wanted to write something about the original 2 DOOM games for ages now as I love them. I have been playing Doom every year for the last two decades, and as I have just started playing my way through Doom Classics Collection on PS3 (Ultimate Doom finished on hard in a few hours!) I thought it high time I wrote some gibberish about it.

I do actually want to start a discussion on Doom, before all the usual crowd start shouting "blog wh0re blog wh0re" while waving their pitch forks and burning torches in the air.

I want to hear from people who share my love for Doom, those of you who still play it, and still use awesome mods and source ports such as GZdoom, Brutal Doom etc

Those of you who have Doom on XBLA or PS3, let's get some multiplayer action on the go!

Anyway, here is the link to the feature. It took me an entire day to write, edit, take screenshots, etc so I hope people enjoy it.

http://retrospiritgames.blogspot.co.uk/ ... still.html

tachi

Re: DOOM - 20 years on and still going strong

Post by tachi » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:57 am

Excellent article and a good read mate.
I look forward to Part 2.
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:55 am

I would actually be quite keen on some Doom/Doom 2 multiplayer action. :)

Of course the best version is on Playstation. Great soundtrack.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:14 am

ChipTune wrote:Ooh, here we go, another chance to annoy and irritate the vast majority (it would seem) of the people on this forum by making a post.

Will it be in the right section? Will I get chastised for "spamming" my blog? Let's roll the dice and find out!
:roll:

Stop spamming your blog constantly then it's not as if we can miss your stupidly large sig is it?

Anyway I love Doom on the Jag, only console version by Carmack himself, don't really care about any other versions.
Last edited by The Laird on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:15 am

tachi wrote:Excellent article and a good read mate.
I look forward to Part 2.
Thanks Tachi :D

Part 2 is in the works. I think it will involve a lot more effort than part 1 due to all the mods I have to play and take screenshots of, though I will keep it to the same length (or slighltly less) than part 1.

Sel Feena wrote:I would actually be quite keen on some Doom/Doom 2 multiplayer action. :)

Of course the best version is on Playstation. Great soundtrack.
I agree and disagree with you. The Playstation version certainly isn't the best version gameplay wise.. though it is very good.. but the soundtrack and added ambiance is excellent.

The music in PC Doom is pants.. a combination of the pc version with the dark lighting and soundtrack of the Playstation version would be perfect..

Luckily there is such a thing.. but you will have to wait for part 2 to find out about that :D

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:19 am

The Laird wrote:
ChipTune wrote:Ooh, here we go, another chance to annoy and irritate the vast majority (it would seem) of the people on this forum by making a post.

:roll:

Stop spamming your blog constantly then it's not as if we can miss your stupidly large sig is it?

Anyway I love Doom on the Jag, only console version by Carmack himself, don't really care about any other versions.

Thanks for the contribution.

Jaguar Doom is ok, I had a jag recently as part of a job lot of consoles I bought on ebay, and Doom was the one game with it.

I had really good memories of Jag Doom but upon firing it up I was shocked by how crap it looked. It plays ok, but nothing great. The Playstation version is much better to play.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:19 am

Just had a look and this part is complete and utter fail and ruins any credibility you *MIGHT* have had:
The Atari Jaguar was home to a respectable port but, for reasons unknown, had absolutely no music during gameplay. Plus you had to contend with the censored poor Jaguar control pad, which resembles an early 1980's telephone.
If you had bothered to do your research you would have read that the Jag version is Carmack's personal favourite and that the music was removed because he felt the game had far more atmosphere without it, I think he was right. The music is actually contained in the code (it plays between levels) so it wasn't missed out completely and it could be hacked back in. The Jaguar control pad is perfect for Doom because the keypad buttons let you change weapons instantly on the fly. Have you ever used an early 80's telephone? :?
I had really good memories of Jag Doom but upon firing it up I was shocked by how crap it looked. It plays ok, but nothing great. The Playstation version is much better to play.
According to Carmack there are lighting effects present in the Jag version that are not in the PS1 iteration.

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:23 am

It's a stalwart addition to my Amigas, it's also my goto game on most of my consoles that were able to run it. I've been replaying it lately on the 32x but taking my time to 100% on secrets. Something I've never bothered to do in the past. I am trying to do it without resorting to cheating online, but I reserve the right to make maps.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:30 am

Doom is king spam is crap

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:38 am

Posting this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9a2bOXHzIAw

As just a WTF

Cant get it to work on a Everdrive sadly

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:44 am

The Laird wrote:Just had a look and this part is complete and utter fail and ruins any credibility you *MIGHT* have had:
The Atari Jaguar was home to a respectable port but, for reasons unknown, had absolutely no music during gameplay. Plus you had to contend with the censored poor Jaguar control pad, which resembles an early 1980's telephone.
If you had bothered to do your research you would have read that the Jag version is Carmack's personal favourite and that the music was removed because he felt the game had far more atmosphere without it, I think he was right. The music is actually contained in the code (it plays between levels) so it wasn't missed out completely and it could be hacked back in. The Jaguar control pad is perfect for Doom because the keypad buttons let you change weapons instantly on the fly. Have you ever used an early 80's telephone? :?
According to Carmack there are lighting effects present in the Jag version that are not in the PS1 iteration.

Yawn, your constant harassment gets more tedious, and less creative by the day.

Do my research? Er, I was writing about MY experiences.. MY opinions.. hence it's my blog. Is that a concept you can grasp?

I think Jag Doom is average. It is completely irrelevant if Carmack says it is his favourite version or not. And the Jag controller is pathetic.

You get way too defensive. Feel free not to read my blog any more as your opinions are irrelevant to me.

EDIT:
Your opinion, his opinion.... get a grip. Every thread you start is a link to your blog and it has been pointed out, we have a section for blogs. BUT as other members get some kind of satisfaction from it and until the general consensus is you are spamming, I'll leave it here. Just mind how you reply as the C word, however you decide to use it is not going to happen on this forum. MPM

ChipTune

Post by ChipTune » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:45 am

koopa42 wrote:Doom is king spam is crap
As eloquent and thoughtful as usual.

And don't think I don't know it is you spamming my blog. You absolute REMOVED

Here we go again. Chiptune, before you go accusing a forum member of something, please get your facts right. And yet again, name calling. Consider this a warning. MPM

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:47 am

Can I have a copy of that ROM? I'll give it a go on mine.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:51 am

ChipTune wrote:You get way too defensive. Feel free not to read my blog any more as your opinions are irrelevant to me. You just like to be a disagreeable see-you-next-tuesday to wind me up.
I never read it anyway so no change there.

I just thought that if you write about one of the greatest games of all time you might want to be factually correct. Obviously not, you would rather post opinionated twaddle instead to get some kind of attention.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:15 am

ChipTune wrote:
koopa42 wrote:Doom is king spam is crap
As eloquent and thoughtful as usual.

And don't think I don't know it is you spamming my blog. You absolute spacktard
Spamtune, I think you are amusing and many moons ago I might have considered coming over to your spam but taking the p1ss out of you and your crap aside? I have never even clicked on your blog and I'm hurt that you think I have you rarest of breeds