Thoughts on Super Frog

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

New Super Frog HD Who's Excited

I can't wait. Loved Super Frog
50%
I'm not interested. He's no Sonic
32%
I can't decide either way
18%

Total votes: 28

AndyR

Re: Thoughts on Super Frog

Post by AndyR » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Can't wait for this!!!

I played the game numerous times from start to finish...it has everything you could ever want from a platformer with my fave levels being haunted castle and Egyptian.

I don't understand the major comparisons with sonic. Super frog had a couple of fast sections (when you picked up the power pill) and boingy springs but it is more akin to mario with its more sedate platforming and it's numerous secret areas and the fact you can power up into a flying (well hovering) frog.

The game is an all time classic...that is the Amiga version anyways. It just didn't sit right on the pc so team 17, please use the miggy version as a basis! Also, if the remake has brand new hd graphics with the option of going retro (miggy graphics) then I'll be happier than a bunny who is a happy bunny living in happy bunny wood.

Edit: keep the same tunes as well!!!!

joefish

Post by joefish » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:49 am

joefish wrote:It was the colour scheme that put me off. It's like the designers didn't realise the separate Red/Green/Blue settings for a colour can be combined to make other colours. Or maybe Monet's later work where you can tell from the painting how his cataracts were ruining his eyesight.
Sorry, I take that back. That was Jazz Jackrabbit that had that awful red/green/blue scenery.

ootini

Post by ootini » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:17 am

Back then the whole anthropomorphic animal platform game was all the rage wasn't it? Got really out of hand. Most, if not all of the pretenders were blatantly obvious as such. Superfrog, from my hazy nigh on 20 year old recollections, was one of them. There was always a tendency for amiga games to feel, unresponsive or something. Like the sprites did not really blend into the environment properly like they seemed to slide over everything and not move quite right.

The only two platformers of that era on the Amiga that come to mind that were on a par, or even better than the Console versions were The Adams Family and Putty.

thl

Post by thl » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:47 pm

It's been a long time that I remember playing this game and I really liked it. Never got around completing it due to that difficulty level, otherwise it's a very solid platfomer.

Really looking forward to see it available on digital download (and in HD for first time).

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:24 am

I remember loving this game, and the music was great too. If the price is right I'll get the new remastered version, but not if its more than a fiver!

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

MikeFishcake

Post by MikeFishcake » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:48 am

ootini wrote:The only two platformers of that era on the Amiga that come to mind that were on a par, or even better than the Console versions were The Adams Family and Putty.
I do like those actually, but Robocod is my favourite Amiga platformer.