Favourite recent Retro Game releases

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

revgiblet

Favourite recent Retro Game releases

Post by revgiblet » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:12 am

There's been a real glut of retro releases recently. What are the pick of the crop? What are people's favourite retro game releases either on current platforms, as plug in TV games, or simply games that are new but should definitely be classed as retro either because of the style or because they've been released on a 'dead' platform.

My current favourites probably have to be the Capcom Classics Collection and Metal Slug 3.

What about everyone else?

Randall Flagg

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:41 am

Ah, so many to choose from.....Taito Memories 1 & 2 (PS2) are v.good. Have really enjoyed playing Metal Slug on the PSP (Neo Geo CD Emu).
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Zumafire

Re:

Post by Zumafire » Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:22 am

Randall Flagg wrote:Have really enjoyed playing Metal Slug on the PSP (Neo Geo CD Emu).
You and the PSP emu..LOL

Taito Memories 1 & 2 are the bomb.. IN the US we got this crappy Taito collection that combined the two collections.. They left a ton of stuff out..

Man, between George Bush and crappy U.S. game releases.. I don't know if I can take it!! LOL

The MSX collection (Japan) for the Saturn is my personal pick of best retro comp.. but if I were to think about it more I may change my mind..
The MSX collection also came out a few years ago...like 8 years ago. So I guess that wouldn't really be considerd a recent release.

Randall Flagg

Re:

Post by Randall Flagg » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:02 am

Zumafire wrote:
Taito Memories 1 & 2 are the bomb.. IN the US we got this crappy Taito collection that combined the two collections.. They left a ton of stuff out..

Man, between George Bush and crappy U.S. game releases.. I don't know if I can take it!! LOL
They are intending to release Taito Collection 2 in US and Europe containing what wasn't on the first release
Retrotechy.
Zapp Brannigan Quote - You remind me of a younger me Fry, Not much younger mind, Perhaps even a little older... Image

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:10 am

On the other hand, there are games in the Western volumes that aren't on the Japanese releases (such as the two Operation games).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

backdrifter

Post by backdrifter » Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:10 pm

The Taito Collections have been absolutely wonderful! Easily my favourite retro release.

Nobody

Post by Nobody » Wed May 31, 2006 3:58 pm

I really like the gba Final Fantasy remakes they've been making lately. I can't wait for the remake of VI. III on the DS looks awesome too.

C4

Post by C4 » Wed May 31, 2006 4:37 pm

Gunstar Future Heroes

mel the bell

Post by mel the bell » Wed May 31, 2006 4:39 pm

new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS)
On 2003-12-08 20:15, cyborg wrote:
You're all corporate bitches if you buy a console - face it. Unless it's a Phantom - in that case you're just stupid - because even if it did exist it'd be crap

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 31, 2006 4:55 pm

Midway Arcade Treasures on PSP is one of a select few 'new' retro titles I've bought.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

C4

Re:

Post by C4 » Wed May 31, 2006 5:04 pm

mel the bell wrote:new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS) new super mario brothers (DS)
Thats a lot of games :wink:

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Wed May 31, 2006 5:27 pm

Out of the three I currently own (Taito Legends 1 & 2 and Midway Treasures 1) I mostly play Taito Legends 2 simply for a couple of games in particular - Pucci Carot, Puzzle Bobble and Metal Black.

Intend to get the Capcom Collections soon...

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed May 31, 2006 7:02 pm

Just recently, oi've been playing quite a bit of Flowers Mania and Getris on the Atari XL/XE series, a bit of Egghead IV, GameX and a little Ghost Castles on the Spectrum, Advanced Space Battle for the C64 and a couple of the MSXdev entries from 2005 (i still really like Magical Stones) and a selection of stuff from the 2006 minigame and C64 Crap Game Compo.

i've also been testing my own Warflame Remix on the C64 and Lunar Blitz on the VIC 20 since they're both pretty much ready for release.

Shin_Gouki

Re:

Post by Shin_Gouki » Wed May 31, 2006 11:35 pm

Nobody wrote:I really like the gba Final Fantasy remakes they've been making lately. I can't wait for the remake of VI. III on the DS looks awesome too.
:shock:

They're re-making Final Fantasy VI for the GBA?

I'm waiting for III on the DS too...
真・豪鬼

Nobody

Post by Nobody » Thu Jun 01, 2006 2:59 pm

They're re-making Final Fantasy VI for the GBA?
Yep, you can find out more information here.