If you could re-experience a game for the first time??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

shiftytigger

Re: If you could re-experience a game for the first time??

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:13 am

silvergunner wrote:Resident evil on ps1 and metal gear on ps1 fantastic titles. My other would be to be able to walk into a old style arcade with rows and rows of 10p machines from around the late eighties to beginning of the nineties as a small child again for the first time and just thinking woooooowwwww what's all this great stuff :mrgreen: that's something none of us will experience again that's for sure.
This was basically my thought - I'd love to go back to the times when you could go from 10p a go on Xybots , Buck Rogers , Gauntlet , Super Off Road , Crude Buster , Final Fight etc and even if you didnt like the game it was no major financial loss (apart from my first ever play on Double Dragon 3 - even 10p was too much).

We didnt have local arcades apart from one on CLent Hills or Stourport if you could get to them,so mostly it was holidays in Wales and the masses of variety of games available was a constant source of wonder to me. These days there is little to be excited about in the arcades.

So id love to relive each and every time I came to the arcades and saw the familiar Pole Position nestling next to a new game like Mercs or Rtype, made holidays even better.

From a home gaming perspective I would say it would be Midnight Resistance and some of the later spectrum games - taking a real chance porting stuff like midnight resistance in the first place , but to make it really enjoyable and really push the graphics that way really blew me away. That and the first time I ever played Streets of Rage 2 on my megadrive. Brilliant graphics , great music and what felt like the closest I would get to a cross between final fight and Streetfighter 2. Even now it is still a milestone in its genre , if not a major peak.

Also Road Rash on the MD. First time i jumped at the top of a hill , bounced off the top of a car and still carried on was the most fun I had had in a racing game since Stunt Car Racer. An update of that (other than those awful PS1 versions) would please me no end.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:37 am

Both Shenmue games, the Ace Attorney series (to me they are like reading a good book - you don't want to say goodbye to the characters at the end) and the original Resident Evil.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:56 am

I'd like to forget Unreal (and maybe Entity) on the Amiga and then not experience them again.
Because they both looked fantastic in screenshots in the multi-format magazines of the time. But when you saw them moving, or tried to - for want of a better word - 'play' them, all the magic quickly evaporated...

Andy L

Post by Andy L » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:33 am

Shenmue 1 (the QTEs on the 2nd game did my head in)
GTA 3/Vice City
Elite (Acorn Archimedes)
Super Mario Land 2
Sonic 1 (Master System)

Gunotak

Post by Gunotak » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:45 pm

Wild arms 1
Grandia 1

I LOOOVED the background story :)

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:49 pm

So many to choose from, but these for sure:
Metal Gear Solid
Star Wars Trilogy Arcade
3D Deathchase
Golden Axe
Bonanza Bros.
DOOM

But Metal Gear Solid for sure, mainly because it was a landmark title for the PS1, and did so many fantastic things, that the first time I played it, my jaw hit the floor.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:28 am

Probably Pandemonium on the PS1. I laughed like a loon at how much fun I was having.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Scooby1970

Post by Scooby1970 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:20 pm

Although I'd been gaming for years before I had a Megadrive, it was Golden Axe that first gave me a jaw-dropping experience that I'd love to re-experience again. I'd also love to experience the first Uncharted again, that was pretty mind-blowing.

:) Mark
http://twitter.com/markyboyo
PS3, 360, PS2, PS1, PSP, Wii, DC, Saturn, Megadrive, GBA, DS & more!

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:15 am

Vice City - PS2 (played this after being in the gaming wilderness for about 4 years)
Space Raiders - Speccy (first game I ever loaded up)
Hang-on - arcade (what was the other bike game? Name escapes me)
Super Mario 4 - Snes (what a trade up from my Speccy!)
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

retroman83

Post by retroman83 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:08 am

FINAL FANTASY 7 - PS1.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:50 am

I'd have to go for Space Invaders. Seeing it for the first time in 1980 blew me away and I spent all my holiday 10p's on it and loved every minute. It's pretty mundane stuff nowadays of course but I loved it back then. Of modern games, I'd go for Shenmue 1&2.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:22 am

Has to be Resident Evil 4. It was such a leap forward for action games and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole thing.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:40 am

KotOR, without having my mate inadvertently spoiling the twist for me. I wouldn't mind experiencing Bioshock again, either. Mirror's Edge was also wonderful to experience for the first time.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Gunotak

Post by Gunotak » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Another game I'm dreaming to be released ON Playstation Network : "WILD ARMS ALTER CODE F" (the remake of Wild Arms 1 on PSone).

It was released in Japan and in USA but not in Eurrope Sadly :( .

[UP] I've just recently posted a message at Media Vision facebook page (opened at 11th of April 2012) . So wait and see ...

2 videos :

World Map:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0XuEbk ... B60A623E49

BOSS Battle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... rsIdNXt7SI

And the boxart :D

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:33 pm

portal - first time i played it i knew nothing about it at all, was just a bonus game on the orange box to me, fired it up before doing half life 2 and it was the last time a game genuinely impressed me on more than just a graphical level. I would love to get that 'wow' feeling from it again