If you could re-experience a game for the first time??

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Freestyler

Re: If you could re-experience a game for the first time??

Post by Freestyler » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:36 am

theantmeister wrote:
Freestyler wrote:
samhain81 wrote:What game would you love to have your memory wiped with and experience again for the very first time, and why?
Street Fighter 2.

It was a friggin' REVELATION in gameplay. It completely and utterly changed the way arcades in my area operated.
Many an arcade friendship was forged in the fires of SF2 competition! :D
I guess it didn't invent the 2D one on one fighting genre, but dammit, when I first saw it in the arcade I knew it was something new. To me, Street Fighter 2 was the last great videogame invention that came out of the arcade.

[edit] If you had to do it all over again, would you still chose Blanka for your first go? I know I would and did! :mrgreen:
I was frankly obsessed with Guile! :lol:

In fact it took until SF2: Champion Edition before I chose anyone else. That being Ken. Blanka in the original SF2 was cool, especially as his crouching Hard punch pretty much reached out into space! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:44 am

Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess would be great.
Also Space Harrier and Power Drift in the arcade with the full-motion cabinets.
Tekken and Galaxian 3 (the 6-player bunker) in the arcade too.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:55 am

Having read the few posts about SFII? It's not up there for me LOL even if it is my fave game of all time? It wasn't something I settled right into, it was a big learning curve and not that enjoyable early doors as I recall ..... not knowing WTF was happening when random fireballs 'appeared' LOL when you started sorting the moves though? Sex on my face.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:29 pm

koopa42 wrote:Having read the few posts about SFII? It's not up there for me LOL even if it is my fave game of all time? It wasn't something I settled right into, it was a big learning curve and not that enjoyable early doors as I recall ..... not knowing WTF was happening when random fireballs 'appeared' LOL when you started sorting the moves though? Sex on my face.
For me it was more about the massive growth of camaraderie that sprung up around SF2.

At the time arcades drew the crowds, but there wasn't really a sense of any sort of friendly competition, just people playing (and watching) arcade games. SF2 changed that! At least for my arcade! :lol:

Suddenly it turned from a "Go there to play a few games" into "Meet you all here next week for more SF2?" Also, watching some God-like player doing amazing things with "lesser" characters such as E Honda and Dhalsim was inspirational. It was the first time for me that a game could exist beyond itself. Into a gaming community!

Of course nowadays we have the internet. I remember when it was all fields! :lol:
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:39 pm

I'd say Final Fantasy X.

But also Persona 3 or Persona 4 would do.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:04 pm

Freestyler wrote:
koopa42 wrote:Having read the few posts about SFII? It's not up there for me LOL even if it is my fave game of all time? It wasn't something I settled right into, it was a big learning curve and not that enjoyable early doors as I recall ..... not knowing WTF was happening when random fireballs 'appeared' LOL when you started sorting the moves though? Sex on my face.
For me it was more about the massive growth of camaraderie that sprung up around SF2.

At the time arcades drew the crowds, but there wasn't really a sense of any sort of friendly competition, just people playing (and watching) arcade games. SF2 changed that! At least for my arcade! :lol:

Suddenly it turned from a "Go there to play a few games" into "Meet you all here next week for more SF2?" Also, watching some God-like player doing amazing things with "lesser" characters such as E Honda and Dhalsim was inspirational. It was the first time for me that a game could exist beyond itself. Into a gaming community!

Of course nowadays we have the internet. I remember when it was all fields! :lol:
1991/1992 were stunning times for an SF2 fanatic, it was so damn SOCIAL, there was very little bitterness, everyone wanted to see mad skillz, black and white and Asian and whatever, it *unified* peeps, it was a really nice time to be a gamer in Leeds back then, especially given how bad race relations were at the time. :)

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:46 pm

theantmeister wrote:
Freestyler wrote:
samhain81 wrote:What game would you love to have your memory wiped with and experience again for the very first time, and why?
Street Fighter 2.

It was a friggin' REVELATION in gameplay. It completely and utterly changed the way arcades in my area operated.
Many an arcade friendship was forged in the fires of SF2 competition! :D
I guess it didn't invent the 2D one on one fighting genre, but dammit, when I first saw it in the arcade I knew it was something new. To me, Street Fighter 2 was the last great videogame invention that came out of the arcade.

[edit] If you had to do it all over again, would you still chose Blanka for your first go? I know I would and did! :mrgreen:
Ha ha! Brilliant! I remember my first ever go at Street Fighter 2 at a bowling alley at Blackpool and picking Blanka straight away and I was put against Chun Li. I can still remember chuckling to myself that a monster was fighting a girl....and then I promptly lost.

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:30 pm

Thief the Dark Project or Morrowind, I can still hear the theme song to morrowind in my head if I just think of that game.

newoldgamer

Post by newoldgamer » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:11 pm

Metal Gear Solid 3, never has my mind been blown so much by a video game ending. Kojima is a master story teller.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:41 am

CrookedMouth wrote:Thief the Dark Project or Morrowind, I can still hear the theme song to morrowind in my head if I just think of that game.
There's a Morrowind total conversion planned for Skyrim on PC. The day that's complete I'll be buying Skyrim on PC!
They're also working on an Oblivion mod for Skyrim too. Niiiiiiice.

davyK

Post by davyK » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:05 am

Tempest and T2K for that total sensory overload it gave me.

Also Wario Ware - the first time you play you feel like you are in free fall - your hands are trying to keep up with your brain - which itself is trying to keep up with the game - pure genius.

Bambi

Post by Bambi » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:40 am

I'm not sure a simple "memory wipe" would do the job, I'm not sure how strongly I would feel about these games outside of their nostalgic context.

That said, Shenmue (and Shenmue II of course) the first two Resident Evil games and Metal Gear Solid oh and you know what else? World of Warcraft! I played it for years and some of my best memories were just starting out in an MMO with my friends, having no idea what we were doing, great times.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:24 am

Definitely SHENMUE! I spent months just wandering around & playing in the arcade, collecting the toys etc.. :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:29 am

Phantasy Star Online on the Dreamcast.
With my memory completely wiped of the poo taste of online gaming from Xbox Live. The cheaters, glitchers, braggarts, ragers and griefers all completely gone from my mind so I can be an online gaming virgin once more and re-experience the friendly great days of PSO.
I'd also need a time machine. Online gamers just weren't such arseholes back then. Or the arseholes were fewer in number. That's how it seems to me anyway.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:50 pm

Resident evil on ps1 and metal gear on ps1 fantastic titles. My other would be to be able to walk into a old style arcade with rows and rows of 10p machines from around the late eighties to beginning of the nineties as a small child again for the first time and just thinking woooooowwwww what's all this great stuff :mrgreen: that's something none of us will experience again that's for sure.