Injustice: Gods Among Us - DC universe fighting game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Joey
Posts: 3842
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:45 pm
Location: Leicester, UK

Injustice: Gods Among Us - DC universe fighting game

Post by Joey » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:21 pm

Not being a fan of DC stuff this game didn't peak my interest when announced, but after seeing these game play vids and remembering that the Mortal Kombat reboot is one of the best fighting games this gen I think I'm now on board!

You can clearly see that its running on the MK9 engine and the characters move very similar to that game. I also like the environment interaction and unique moves/juggles of the characters.

I'm not familiar with all the characters announced so far but know enough of the key ones...

Batman vs Bane - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWEfLRFC ... r_embedded

Wonder Woman vs Harley Quinn - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... tHpLes2kK0
Image

Bobinator
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:13 pm
Location: The US

Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - DC universe fighting game

Post by Bobinator » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Oh, man, you don't know how long I've wanted this game. I honestly loved the new Mortal Kombat that came out a couple of years ago, and I honestly still think it was a much better game than Street Fighter 4. Considering how much Batman: The Animated Series and Justice League I've watched over the years, I'm probably going for this on launch day.

If anybody's curious about how this is different from MK:

- No fatalities. Some blood, but it's still a T rating.
- You hold back to block, like Street Fighter. There's no block button.
- The button setup is Light/Medium/Heavy, with a button for each character that uses their own unique ability.
- Objects in the enviroment you can use in different ways. See a car in the background? Batman can grab his opponent and slam them into it. Superman can grab the car and slam it onto them.
- You can switch between doing special moves the Mortal Kombat way or the Street Fighter way.
- Every match is one long, continuous round, with each character having two health bars. Think Killer Instinct.

I think this will not only be the best fighting game of this year, but next year, too.

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11130
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - DC universe fighting game

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:27 am

I'm not really interested as of yet. Half because of the character roster announced so far and half because despite owning it on two different platforms I just can't get into/enjoy Mortal Kombat at all (which this looks like it will play somewhat similarly to). Roster wise there just seems like there is to much Batman so far - Joker was always going to be in and Grundy looks pretty cool but Bane, Catwoman, Deathstroke and Harley as well? How about using characters from other characters rogues galleries (I know we've not seen the full lineup yet but its just a bit disappointing that it looks like a Batman and friends fighting game, rather than an all star DC fighting game. Then again I seem to recall MK Vs DC suffering the same problem line up wise with just Luthor and Darkseid representing DC villains outside of Batman...)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
felgekarp
Posts: 9351
Joined: Fri May 05, 2006 11:47 am
Location: Earth 3

Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - DC universe fighting game

Post by felgekarp » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:08 am

I fear I may have to buy it just for it being a DC game, despite thinking that the Mortal Kombat one was quite poor.
Splink!

User avatar
Joey
Posts: 3842
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:45 pm
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - DC universe fighting game

Post by Joey » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:24 pm

ShadowMan wrote: I just can't get into/enjoy Mortal Kombat at all
felgekarp wrote: despite thinking that the Mortal Kombat one was quite poor.
You two make me cry! :cry:



:wink:
Image

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11130
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - DC universe fighting game

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:44 pm

I really should try it again at some stage as there was so much that I did like about the game (most of all that it reminded me a lot of MK2 which is a favourite of mine), the switch back to 2D was the right choice and I did like how the combat worked when I got the hang of it (I quite liked Sector and Cyrax the last time I played). I'm not even sure why I didn't play more of it, its not like its lacking content or I didn't like the fighting system, I just tended to drift off and shelve it for some reason!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24980
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - DC universe fighting game

Post by DPrinny » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:05 pm

It looks so,



Lame (Ok they are not using Banes shitty movie design)
So is Superman going to be in it? Or is he to strong? After all he is nearly invincible

User avatar
PaulEMoz
Posts: 610
Joined: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:11 pm
Location: Co. Durham
Contact:

Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - DC universe fighting game

Post by PaulEMoz » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:17 pm

Not only is Superman in it, but from what I've read, he's the main bad guy, if I followed the storyline correctly (I don't read comic books, just going from a report and trying not to be spoilery).

User avatar
Freestyler
Posts: 4150
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - DC universe fighting game

Post by Freestyler » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:41 pm

This looks quite interesting indeed.

I'm not happy with the character models (I much prefer the Arkham City models) but it's certainly got a lot going for it. The environment fighting system mixes it up quite nicely.

One to watch, certainly.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24980
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - DC universe fighting game

Post by DPrinny » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:45 pm

PaulEMoz wrote:Not only is Superman in it, but from what I've read, he's the main bad guy, if I followed the storyline correctly (I don't read comic books, just going from a report and trying not to be spoilery).
Blizzard it is then

Bobinator
Posts: 139
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:13 pm
Location: The US

Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - DC universe fighting game

Post by Bobinator » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:49 pm

felgekarp wrote:I fear I may have to buy it just for it being a DC game, despite thinking that the Mortal Kombat one was quite poor.
Mind if I ask why you feel that way? Just wondering, really. Honestly, I feel like MK did everything right that SF4 got wrong, but that's just me.

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11130
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - DC universe fighting game

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:47 pm

I've been checking out the other battles that have been posted up on youtube and I've been liking some of the touches that Netherrealm have included in the game. First off its nice to see Aqua Man looking fairly interesting, he's one of those characters that I'd never imagined would work well in a fighter but he looks kinda interesting. Nice to see both Hawkgirl and Sinestro show up as playable characters, hopefully tthey have a couple more characters like them left to confirm. Some of the stage attacks are visually stunning as well - the especially in the Hawkgirl Vs Green Arrow fight with the gigantic characters and Darkseid (does that mean he's not playable?). My opinions changed on the game, I'm half tempted to maybe get it at launch, I wonder if they will do a demo like MK got? I'd love to be able to give it a try before I buy it.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
Joey
Posts: 3842
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 2:45 pm
Location: Leicester, UK

Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - DC universe fighting game

Post by Joey » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:01 pm

ShadowMan wrote:I've been checking out the other battles that have been posted up on youtube and I've been liking some of the touches that Netherrealm have included in the game. First off its nice to see Aqua Man looking fairly interesting, he's one of those characters that I'd never imagined would work well in a fighter but he looks kinda interesting. Nice to see both Hawkgirl and Sinestro show up as playable characters, hopefully tthey have a couple more characters like them left to confirm. Some of the stage attacks are visually stunning as well - the especially in the Hawkgirl Vs Green Arrow fight with the gigantic characters and Darkseid (does that mean he's not playable?). My opinions changed on the game, I'm half tempted to maybe get it at launch, I wonder if they will do a demo like MK got? I'd love to be able to give it a try before I buy it.
Its playable at Insomnia48 in 3 weeks so ill be having a hands on with it then, cant wait!
Image

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11130
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - DC universe fighting game

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:29 pm

Joey wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:I've been checking out the other battles that have been posted up on youtube and I've been liking some of the touches that Netherrealm have included in the game. First off its nice to see Aqua Man looking fairly interesting, he's one of those characters that I'd never imagined would work well in a fighter but he looks kinda interesting. Nice to see both Hawkgirl and Sinestro show up as playable characters, hopefully tthey have a couple more characters like them left to confirm. Some of the stage attacks are visually stunning as well - the especially in the Hawkgirl Vs Green Arrow fight with the gigantic characters and Darkseid (does that mean he's not playable?). My opinions changed on the game, I'm half tempted to maybe get it at launch, I wonder if they will do a demo like MK got? I'd love to be able to give it a try before I buy it.
Its playable at Insomnia48 in 3 weeks so ill be having a hands on with it then, cant wait!
I look forward to hearing what you think of it. I think a few more decent character reveals and I'd be really tempted. Any word on what the single player/story side of things will be like? I'd imagine they'd be going for content akin to Mortal Kombat 9?
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11130
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: Injustice: Gods Among Us - DC universe fighting game

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:07 pm

Another new character (Doomsday):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Bd7mmZPejY

Looking better every time I see it, and if the rumours about Captain Cold, Ares and Black Adam being in are true then I'll probably end up getting this game (assuming it has a strong single player side of things) as the roster is fleshing out nicely with each new announcement. The only thing still annoying me (which I hope is purely down to the way the trailers are edited) is the camera in certain parts of the fight, I'm hoping in the final game it stays in a side on view of the characters otherwise it'd be quite cumbersome at times.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests