Favourite Video Game Magazines

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GigaPepsiMan

Favourite Video Game Magazines

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:22 am

So recently I've been wanting to start buying video game magazines again and I've been thinking back to all the magazines I used to read as a kid.

When I owned the Playstation I used to get my parents to buy me Official Playsation Magazine all the time and I don't think they minded spending the money on each issue because they always came with demo disks which meant I could get through the month by just playing them and not buying any new games, I don't remember much about the actual writing quality of Official Playstation but I remember the covers always being awesome and from what people have told me in it's day Official Playstation was actually a good magazine, then came along OPS2 and it degraded to idiocy.

As I got older I moved away from playstation (because PS2's were expensive) and got a gamecube and started buying Nintendo Magazines, though I never owned many issues I did think the Gamecube era Nintendo Official Magazine was excellent, it was funny and when the writers hated a game they really hated a game. I bought NGC a few times too and wish I had bought more issues, I may not own the magazines anymore but I still have the free books they would give away, I've had a lot of fun recently reading their gamecube preview book back from early 2002 where they talked about how great the gamecube was going to be and how great Kameo, Perfect Dark Zero, Too Human and Duke Nukem Forever were going to be (you can see the funny side of this). I also bought cube one but I remember the cheat disk more than the magazine.

I bought loads of issues of Official Nintendo Magazine from 2007-2010 but at issue 50 I stopped because I couldn't lie to myself anymore that magazine was rubbish and I should have been buying NGamer.
Retro Gamer was the last magazine to hook me but collecting them was expensive and space consuming, I'll give them credit on the content each issue was like buying a book every month and I have to give the wirters credit for that.

With Nintendo Gamer canned and me not being interested in the upcoming Video game Generation I think the golden days of the game magazine are long gone.

snowkatt

Re: Favourite Video Game Magazines

Post by snowkatt » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:33 am

oh they have been gone long long time ago
as for favorites mine tend to be c&vg from the mid 90's and official sega saturn magazine
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:39 pm

Maximum.

You just had to be there to understand, man. You just had to be there.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Mean Machines/Mean Machines Sega
Your Sinclair
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Currently, RG and GamesTM, although the latter isn't what it used to be.

Past favourites are Sega Saturn Magazine, late 90s CVG (before it changed for the worse) and Official Dreamcast Magazine.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:55 pm

Mid-90's CVG (again).
Mid-90's Sega Power (still gives a laugh reading it nowadays).
Sega Pro (terrible writing but nice design, plus it was the main magazine we used to buy).
Game Zone (before they split in two, lots of PC-Engine and Lynx stuff in there plus that weird Twilight Zone page).
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:01 pm

Game Zone, after they split in two :P

They kept the twilight zone page going you know. It had everything from Easter Egg reviews (the chocolate kind), to Street Fighter character's school report cards to why gravity makes girls crazy for Robbie out of Take That.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:49 pm

The One Amiga
Mean Machines
Sega Pro
Mega Tech
CVG (upto end 1993)
Games-X

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:35 pm

For me:

Sega Power
Sega Pro
SSM
Mean Machines Sega
EGM
ST Format

I still have most of them.
Thoughts and prayers.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:44 pm

Crash, YS, early C&VG, OPM, Arcade, ODM, DC-uk, N64/NGC/NGamer/Nintendo Gamer. Always loved gaming magazines. :)

will2097

Post by will2097 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:55 pm

- Your Sinclair.
- New Computer Express
- Edge (first two years)
- 3DO Magazine
- Official Playstation Magazine
- Game TM
- Retro Gamer

I like magazines that are enthusiastic. That is all.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:06 pm

Razzle

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:27 pm

Mean machines sega
Sega power
Gamesmaster in the early days was not to bad
Arcade
Edge but in the mid nineties res evil 2 era. What a pile of rubbish it is now. Like trying to read a frigging novel with the follow ups to the reviews.

The only two I buy every month now is GamesTM and retro gamer. Give me enough info for the month rather than trawling the Internet for news as when I'm on I just find I have been on for hours and not found anything of any worth and the wife ain't happy due to ignoring her :lol: then again what is good on the net(you in the back row with the filthy mind don't you say it) its all mostly junk talk

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:10 pm

My fave is the original US Electronic Games, C&VG (of the '80s) second.

There was a few I bought regularly over the years, Mean Machines, Arcade, Edge, Games TM, and nowdays the only thing I buy on a regular basis is RG. I occasionally buy a new mag (couple of times a year) to keep a little up to speed, but otherwise I don't bother with new ones much.

ulala

Post by ulala » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:29 am

Sinclair programs
Sinclair User
Your Sinclair
Computer and Video Games (till about 1997)
Mean Machines
Edge (until it gave Mario Kart DD a score of 5/10 and jumped the shark, never read a copy since)
Early Games tm (Until i got bored with magazines)