Misunderstood gems

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Gibberish Driftwood

Re: Misunderstood gems

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:40 am

Super Mario Sunshine - Why do people diss this game, it's not that bad is it?
It was a good follow up to Super Mario 64.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:02 am

I think that Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg deserved to do better than it did. I bought it for the Gamecube not too long after it was released but never got round to playing it :oops:
I recently started playing through it on PC and i really enjoyed it. It's like a Sonic Adventure, Super Monkeyball and Nights hybrid.
I think it may have done better if it had of been released on the PS2?

Hope it gets a sequel one day.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:06 am

Freestyler wrote:WHEELMAN! :D

Yeah, yeah, I'm bigging up Wheelman again, what's new. :lol:

I think this is a vastly underrated game, mostly because it was (unfairly) compared to Grand Theft Auto. Yes it has its problems, but the point is even though you can get out of the car a bit and walk around it's not meant to be Grand Theft Auto!

The majority of the game is spent behind the wheel. Indeed every single side mission is driving-based! Yes there's the inevitable cover-based shooting bits, but they always bookend a driving section. Drive somewhere - shoot a few baddies - drive back. All the while being chased and using the best vehicle combat mechanics ever made in a videogame, ever. Small wonder Sleeping Dogs ripped the mechanic off wholesale. It's that good.

Like I said, the game genuinely has faults (not helped by the developers going bump partway through development) but for a fiver (or a tenner, new) it's an absolute STEAL.

Just don't expect Grand Theft Auto! :D
Agreed sir!

Played a few hours of this now, just the first coupla missions then a bunch of side missions.

I may be reading this wrong, but does it get easier the better you drive? If I have a clear run (I.e. not hit anything) for a few seconds the roads seem to magically get quieter and the car handles better. Is that what "focus" does?

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:22 am

Metroid Other M.

It's not a masterpiece by any means, but it's not a bad game at all, it's very good in my opinion. But it seemed like people judged the game far too much on the cinematics rather than the gameplay.

Gameplay wise, the only niggles were the switching views to fire missles could be a be frantic in the heat of battle, and a few of the scanning sections could be a little frustrating, that's it. The other 95% of the gameplay was great in my opinion.

Though it seemed the niggles above weren't even the source of most people's issues with the game. What most people complained about was the monotone voiceovers and supposed plot holes such as Samus not using her suit's anti-heat ability in the lava area.

But even then she's supposed to be recording audio logs, not doing a radio play, of course she's not going to be overly expressive and show a lot of personality. As for why she's taking orders from Adam, maybe becuase he's her father figure and former commanding officer, and she respects him. And what's the point of having a hot lava section if the heat doesn't even harm you? Yes it might have been a flimsy excuse why she didn't use her suit to avoid taking damage, but that doesn't affect the gameplay, it's a game, not a movie. Is it any less realistic than magically finding a convenient suit upgrade under a rock?
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:40 am

Wreckless - The Yakuza Missions on the XBox got marked down for shallow gameplay. But honestly, where's the depth in any of those racing classics like Outrun? It's all in the replay and practise. Games like that don't need dozens of controls and game options, they're just fun. Sure, on the surface it's no more sophisticated than Chase HQ, and slightly less serious, but it's simply incredible to look at and great fun to play. Actually, later on, you find it is one huge sandbox joined-up city; you're just constrained in your chases to specific routes early on. Once you get to know the layout you can break out of your runs to find the hidden bonus vehicles.

Also Carnage Heart on the Playstation - I'll never forget the review in the official magazine saying it was being marked down for being 'too complicated'. In other words, the reviewer is straight-out admitting 'I'm too thick to understand it'. If you could get your head around programming the robots, it turned out to be a fantastic strategy game, but ended up with poor sales and the UK never got any of the sequels.

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:57 am

Shadow Dancer on the MD never got as much love as it deserved back in the day, although opinions seem to have changed about it since then.
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:58 am

pratty wrote:Metroid Other M.

It's not a masterpiece by any means, but it's not a bad game at all, it's very good in my opinion. But it seemed like people judged the game far too much on the cinematics rather than the gameplay.

Gameplay wise, the only niggles were the switching views to fire missles could be a be frantic in the heat of battle, and a few of the scanning sections could be a little frustrating, that's it. The other 95% of the gameplay was great in my opinion.

Though it seemed the niggles above weren't even the source of most people's issues with the game. What most people complained about was the monotone voiceovers and supposed plot holes such as Samus not using her suit's anti-heat ability in the lava area.

But even then she's supposed to be recording audio logs, not doing a radio play, of course she's not going to be overly expressive and show a lot of personality. As for why she's taking orders from Adam, maybe becuase he's her father figure and former commanding officer, and she respects him. And what's the point of having a hot lava section if the heat doesn't even harm you? Yes it might have been a flimsy excuse why she didn't use her suit to avoid taking damage, but that doesn't affect the gameplay, it's a game, not a movie. Is it any less realistic than magically finding a convenient suit upgrade under a rock?

for me, this game comes very close to the feel of Super Metroid, atm the only game on the Wii that i have that i have played through to the end, some bosses were frustrating due to switching between the 2 control schemes, but for the rest i liked it very much, i thought the cut scenes were of a good standard, lots of secrets, great graphics, great music and a sturdy challenge

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:46 am

Blue Stinger - Considered a poor mans resident evil by most, but this game was more fun than all of the RE games combined.

Get_in_Gear

Post by Get_in_Gear » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:26 pm

Gibberish Driftwood wrote:Super Mario Sunshine - Why do people diss this game, it's not that bad is it?
Totally agree - In fact, it's a much better game than Super Mario 64 as far as I'm concerned.
R Tape loading error, 0:1

[+[_]::]

davyK

Post by davyK » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:54 pm

ToxieDogg wrote: Yoshi's Story is also about as misunderstood as they come. Most people play it expecting a lengthy platform epic and are disappointed when they can whizz through 4 stages (1 for each world) within an hour or so and then never play it again. They don't realise that it's actually a score attack game and the real challenge is in finding the 30 melons on each stage, as well as unlocking and mastering every stage in the game.

This.....Yoshi's Story is an excellent game. OK - it's no SMB3, SMW, YI - but it isn't meant to be. It is utterly charming and has tons of replay value - first off to unlock all 24 levels (and finding the hidden Yoshis while you are at it) in Story mode, and then going for scores in the Trial mode.

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:20 pm

Nah Other M is no gem. The thing is that even if you ignore the story the gameplay isn't great. Nothing of the intricacy or atmosphere of the 2D games. Pretty mediocre and hardly par for a series that typically exhibits genuinely excellent design.

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:45 am

Get_in_Gear wrote:
Gibberish Driftwood wrote:Super Mario Sunshine - Why do people diss this game, it's not that bad is it?
Totally agree - In fact, it's a much better game than Super Mario 64 as far as I'm concerned.
I think the issues are twofold. Firstly the difficulty is massively ramped up from 64 - many of the shines are hair-pullingly frustrating and beating the game (just beating the game - not going back for all the shines) is several multitudes harder than either 64 or the Galaxy twins. Secondly there's FLUDD. Perhaps to make up for the extreme difficulty of some sections he unbalances the typical Mario gameplay by letting you glide between platforms rather than the usual jumping. It's a little like having the Tanooki suit in MB3 but you have it all the time. I actually like the mechanic, but I can understand why real Mario purists hate it.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:27 am

Sunshine wasn't 'misunderstood' it was just too dificult. Suprising really, as Nintendo are usually pretty good at balancing gameplay.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:31 am

Too difficult? Jeez, except for one "floating over the Ocean with Yoshi" sequence I don't recall any hairpulling. Yes, you weren't able to do everything one first one or two tries, but I still wouldn't call this particularly hard. The only thing I disliked about Sunshine were the occasional camera problems. I'd still rate it a 9-9,5/10 any day though.

joefish

Post by joefish » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:38 pm

My impression of Sunshine (and I admit I didn't get too far into it) was it was a lot more running around on the flat than scaling the heights of Mario 64's levels. But that may be just because I only got to play it on the Wii, after a few goes on Galaxy. Nevertheless, just walking around proved a challenge, and inevitably, a turn-off. Same as made Sonic Unleashed a mess, though to be fair, Sunshine never got that bad. But the recognisably classic fun bits were far too few and far between.