Misunderstood gems

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

GigaPepsiMan

Misunderstood gems

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:39 pm

Some games on release are absolutely poo'ed on by reviewers and gamers who claim that a game just doesn't work or is just not fun to play. I've been thinking, there are many games out there I think are actually really good that were give bad rep on release, here is what I feel is such a game.

Reading reviews for this game I can't help but think many people just didn't get P.N.03 at the time.
http://www.metacritic.com/game/gamecube/pn-03
Electronic Gaming Monthly wrote:43 Excitement wears thin when you realize you're fighting the same enemies and running down the same corridors over and over. There's not even a real story to cling to, so players are left with little more than a few hours of tedious button mashing. [Oct 2003, p.163]
Game Informer wrote:58 If you don't die of boredom playing the game, you'll run headlong into the most disappointing aspect of P.N.03: It can be completed in a measly four hours. [Sept 2003, p.111]
Maybe games were judged by different standards at the time but I personally think that P.N.03 is a game that is easy to just knock and say it's censored, not that it is censored because as I learnt when I bought it again the game becomes really good when you get to grips with it. Yes you can complete the game in less than 4 hours, on easy but if you try to play the game on normal expecting to rush through it then you are going to die, and die, and die. I'm not the first to think the game is under rated I remember looking through an issue of retro gamer once where they did an article on future classics and included this game.
If anything good has to come out of the games bad rep it is the cheap price because people just assume it is rubbish.

Who else on here has played a game that they thought was misunderstood and is much better than you were made to believe?

crusto

Re: Misunderstood gems

Post by crusto » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:44 pm

Buck Rogers on the Sega MD hardly got any rave reviews iirc. It's still one of my all time favourites, massively immersive.

Eat your nans pants

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:51 pm

i rather like mobile suit gundam federation vs zeon
its reviews are mediocre
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:00 pm

Too human all day long

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:17 pm

MRC for the N64. great arcade-y racer.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:21 pm

I really enjoyed The Bouncer :oops: :wink:

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:06 pm

SoupDragon wrote:I really enjoyed The Bouncer :oops: :wink:

dont worry there are help groups for people like you
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:09 pm

SoupDragon wrote:I really enjoyed The Bouncer :oops: :wink:
You aren't the only one!
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:10 am

skodathegreat wrote:MRC for the N64. great arcade-y racer.
Also Cruis'n World for the N64. Cruis'n USA wasn't that good in the arcade and the N64 version was a smelly pile of crap, so everybody just assumed Cruis'n World would be the same and avoided it in droves....but it's actually a bloody good little Outrun style arcade racer that was converted by Eurocom (rather than in-house like the original), has much better presentation and sound and is also a lot more playable.

Yoshi's Story is also about as misunderstood as they come. Most people play it expecting a lengthy platform epic and are disappointed when they can whizz through 4 stages (1 for each world) within an hour or so and then never play it again. They don't realise that it's actually a score attack game and the real challenge is in finding the 30 melons on each stage, as well as unlocking and mastering every stage in the game.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:25 am

koopa42 wrote:Too human all day long
Agreed, a great game I was just getting into it then it was over i'd finished it, are they ever going to continue the story with another one ?
"Time fades even legend..."

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:54 am

Pit Fighter seems to be hated by most, I thought the arcade version was brilliant!

GameOver

Post by GameOver » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:51 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Also Cruis'n World for the N64.
Thanks! I converted Cruis'n World. Though it's far from a misunderstood gem :lol:

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:52 am

ZXSabreman wrote:
koopa42 wrote:Too human all day long
Agreed, a great game I was just getting into it then it was over i'd finished it, are they ever going to continue the story with another one ?
Probably not, which is a real shame.

When I first completed it I was really excited by the prospect of a sequel, especially thanks to where the story cuts off. Sadly I'll never get to fight that Frost Giant, kill Thor or find out which side ODIN is really on.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:21 am

GameOver wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:Also Cruis'n World for the N64.
Thanks! I converted Cruis'n World.
:shock:
GameOver wrote:Though it's far from a misunderstood gem :lol:
Meh, I loved it at the time after hating Cruis'n USA. It was one of my favourite N64 games. :) I was honestly disappointed when we didn't get a PAL release of Cruis'n Exotica after that. :(
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:19 am

WHEELMAN! :D

Yeah, yeah, I'm bigging up Wheelman again, what's new. :lol:

I think this is a vastly underrated game, mostly because it was (unfairly) compared to Grand Theft Auto. Yes it has its problems, but the point is even though you can get out of the car a bit and walk around it's not meant to be Grand Theft Auto!

The majority of the game is spent behind the wheel. Indeed every single side mission is driving-based! Yes there's the inevitable cover-based shooting bits, but they always bookend a driving section. Drive somewhere - shoot a few baddies - drive back. All the while being chased and using the best vehicle combat mechanics ever made in a videogame, ever. Small wonder Sleeping Dogs ripped the mechanic off wholesale. It's that good.

Like I said, the game genuinely has faults (not helped by the developers going bump partway through development) but for a fiver (or a tenner, new) it's an absolute STEAL.

Just don't expect Grand Theft Auto! :D
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.