Worst controller ever?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:29 pm

Amiga cd32 controller was upside down wasnt it...????

It certainly felt that way...jaguar controller could only be held by Pat Jennings or someone else with very big hands.....Maybe that vicar that Kenny Everett used to portray.....(the one with ...the ....big...hands)

I recently got a nes and it was the first time I had used one...and I must admit it would have been better when i was younger with ickle hands but I feel the same way about the snes as well......

There is a definite strangeness in the world of controllers, with the original xbox controller being huge, the n64 being huge, the dc is huge......gamecube huge.......

Is everyones hands getting bigger???

The best I have used recently is the 360 but i feel as though the start button is too close to that wierd middle x button thing....

Ps one pretty good and saturn was nice, but the best for me......is....

The Bug for the amiga.......but only when I played sensi ....it was crap for everything else...

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:33 pm

1. Quickfire joysticks. No control at all
2. Sega Saturn controller. No surprise there.
3. CD32 controller. Made with the cheapest plastics in the world.
4. Atari 2600 round controllers, the ones made for Pong and driving games. A headache to use, and it gave you one too.

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:42 pm

sleeper77 wrote:4. Atari 2600 round controllers, the ones made for Pong and driving games. A headache to use, and it gave you one too.
Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe they're called Paddles.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:08 pm

The Saturn pad was a bit of a bear, but I didn't mind it too much. Plus, the Japanese revision was one of my favourite pads ever.

Seems they do/did them for PC too!

http://www.ncsx.com/2004/ncs100404/saturn_usb.htm

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:10 pm

Looks like it's seen better days!

MikeHaggar

Re:

Post by MikeHaggar » Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:12 pm

Sureshot wrote:The Saturn pad was a bit of a bear, but I didn't mind it too much. Plus, the Japanese revision was one of my favourite pads ever.
Seems they do/did them for PC too!

http://www.ncsx.com/2004/ncs100404/saturn_usb.htm
Them Saturn M2 controllers are some of the best ever. There's a reason to why they remade them for USB ;)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:29 pm

Most people are not going back far enough with their controllers here!

The N64 pad divides people but I loved it, perfect for my hands. Compared to the horrible mess that was the original PS1 controller. And the original 2600 sticks were great for Dropzone, played for hours with them, lovely response.

Nah, the worst controllers I've ever had the misfortune to use... the top three, in no real order of dismerit...

- Intellivision
- Atari 5200
- Xbox original (non S)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

mrbungle

Post by mrbungle » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:03 pm

I had a love/hate relationship with the cheetah 125+ for the speccy, nice and responsive but the dam things never lasted....i musta went through at least 6 of them! - combat school and the daley thompson games always seem to kill them :D

oh and every person i knew who had a master system their pads were always held together with sticky tape or a bit of blu tac in the centre!!!...as the dpad part kept falling off!!!!

CrookedMouth

Post by CrookedMouth » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:19 pm

I got a used commodore joystick at a pawnshop in the later years of the c64. It was garbage, but it worked (sort of). It was designed to hurt ,I believe. These came in a system bundle, I think.

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:49 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:The N64 pad is rubbish, you can only use 2/3rds of it at anyone time and the analog stick (the best thing about the control pad) only lasts for a short time before becoming lose and unresponsive.....
I've never heard of anyone having a problem with it. Mine still work.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:50 pm

mrbungle wrote:
oh and every person i knew who had a master system their pads were always held together with sticky tape or a bit of blu tac in the centre!!!...as the dpad part kept falling off!!!!

I'll admit, mine had to be reglued on several times.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:16 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
mrbungle wrote:

I've never had that problem with my Master System pads!

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:10 am

woody.cool wrote:
Elgin_McQueen wrote:
mrbungle wrote:

I've never had that problem with my Master System pads!
I remember for a while simply putting the dpad back in place to play it, still worked fine.

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:46 am

Pretty much any Joystick. The old C64 ones used to hurt my hands beyond belief.
真・豪鬼

mrbungle

Post by mrbungle » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:55 am

Yeah gravity usually took care of the problem and the dpad would click back into place. I think the reason 4 the glue/tape/blu tac was for more when you got a sweaty thumb and lifted your thumb of…the dpad would come with you :lol:

It often resulted running around trying to find the thing and trying to click it back into place…which is not good when you’re on the final level of psycho fox! :evil: