Worst controller ever?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Sureshot
Posts: 5029
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:52 pm
Location: Mids., UK

Worst controller ever?

Post by Sureshot » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:10 pm

We have an XBox at work with the first generation of XBox pads, and I can categorically say that, after many hours, days and weeks of using them, they are the worst controllers I have ever used. They're as big as a house, the button layout doesn't feel right and the triggers are tosh. Also, they don't last through the ages, with one analogue stick knackered on ours and both DPads being stiffer than Ebeneezer Scrooge in a starch factory. Luckily, the next revision was a great pad by all means.

So, what was your least favourite controller?

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:11 pm

Spectrum +2 official joystick all the way
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Post by SirClive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:13 pm

Yep, any official Amstrad joystick (or any official Amstrad peripheral at all) is total crap.
Image

User avatar
GetDexter
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sat May 13, 2006 8:21 am
Location: Marsport
Contact:

Post by GetDexter » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:18 pm

Worst controller ever ?

The Zx Spectrum !

:lol:
As requested by the Tw@t himself - his account was Hijacked and has had a change of password.

Sorry Dexter!

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:19 pm

the fat controller wasn't much use either...I mean, Thomas and his mates got up to all sorts of things under his supervision
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
woody.cool
Posts: 8809
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:21 pm

The N64 pad is diabolical - I can't stand it. Also I wasn't a fan of the Amstrad game pad that came with the Amstrad CPC+ and the Amstrad GX4000.

Another pain in the arse is the PS2 pad - I don't like the directional d-pad on the PSX/PS2 pads! And the Analogue sticks are knackered on my PSX pads.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:24 pm

woody.cool wrote:The N64 pad is diabolical - I can't stand it. Also I wasn't a fan of the Amstrad game pad that came with the Amstrad CPC+ and the Amstrad GX4000.

Another pain in the arse is the PS2 pad - I don't like the directional d-pad on the PSX/PS2 pads! And the Analogue sticks are knackered on my PSX pads.
N64 pad is great for some , terrible for others.Certainly for Mario64 the controller was spot-on.For others like Turok,it wasnt so good
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
woody.cool
Posts: 8809
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:26 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
woody.cool wrote:The N64 pad is diabolical - I can't stand it. Also I wasn't a fan of the Amstrad game pad that came with the Amstrad CPC+ and the Amstrad GX4000.

Another pain in the arse is the PS2 pad - I don't like the directional d-pad on the PSX/PS2 pads! And the Analogue sticks are knackered on my PSX pads.
N64 pad is great for some , terrible for others.Certainly for Mario64 the controller was spot-on.For others like Turok,it wasnt so good
I used to (try to) play Turok! The N64 pad wasn't that good for Turok. I agree with one thing though, it was good for Mario 64

User avatar
Lord Innit
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Bexhill-on-Sea

Post by Lord Innit » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:29 pm

I found nowt wrong with the N64 controller,but the Jaguar controller was utter crap for every type of game.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:30 pm

woody.cool wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:
woody.cool wrote:The N64 pad is diabolical - I can't stand it. Also I wasn't a fan of the Amstrad game pad that came with the Amstrad CPC+ and the Amstrad GX4000.

Another pain in the arse is the PS2 pad - I don't like the directional d-pad on the PSX/PS2 pads! And the Analogue sticks are knackered on my PSX pads.
N64 pad is great for some , terrible for others.Certainly for Mario64 the controller was spot-on.For others like Turok,it wasnt so good
I used to (try to) play Turok! The N64 pad wasn't that good for Turok. I agree with one thing though, it was good for Mario 64
the worst thing about the N64 controller though is it makes playing emulated N64 games a complete pain
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
woody.cool
Posts: 8809
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:29 am
Location: Northampton, UK
Contact:

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:30 pm

Lord Innit wrote:I found nowt wrong with the N64 controller,but the Jaguar controller was utter crap for every type of game.
The Jaguar Controller - was that an actual controller or was it a full sized keyboard! :shock: :lol:

I can't believe how big them damn Jag controllers were!

User avatar
Lord Innit
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Bexhill-on-Sea

Post by Lord Innit » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:33 pm

The overlays for the keypad made matters worse too.

User avatar
learnedrobb
Posts: 1370
Joined: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:17 pm
Contact:

Post by learnedrobb » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:37 pm

I like dthe Jag joypad. Nice and big (which is important for me cos I have big hands).

Personally, I couldn't stand the NES and SMS pads...far too small and fidly for my liking.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

User avatar
MikeHaggar
Posts: 4787
Joined: Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:02 pm
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re:

Post by MikeHaggar » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:04 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:
woody.cool wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote: N64 pad is great for some , terrible for others.Certainly for Mario64 the controller was spot-on.For others like Turok,it wasnt so good
I used to (try to) play Turok! The N64 pad wasn't that good for Turok. I agree with one thing though, it was good for Mario 64
the worst thing about the N64 controller though is it makes playing emulated N64 games a complete pain
Ye got no N64->USB thingie then? Pfff...

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Post by SirClive » Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:10 pm

The Amstrad GX4000 pad made me a cripple after 3 laps of Burning Rubber.
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DPrinny and 5 guests