Fastest tape based loaders ever

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

merman

Re:

Post by merman » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:45 am

OriginalJax wrote:
merman wrote:Crazy Comets on the C64 was VERY fast - approximately 20 on the tape counter, so about 20-30 seconds.
Ah, there wasn't a great deal to the game, though... :)

(Mind you, there wasn't much to Manic Miner when you think about it, and that took like 20 mins!)

O-Jax
It's a damn good blaster, based on the old arcade game Mad Planets, and it has a stunning Rob Hubbard soundtrack. I won't have you disrespecting Crazy Comets round here.... :wink:
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

mrbungle

Post by mrbungle » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:24 am

Was it the US Gold games that had the countdown type thing when loading on the speccy?
You stare....you pray.....then before it reached zero

'DUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR'

:twisted: :twisted: :evil:

hungry_hog

Post by hungry_hog » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:20 pm

the thing about those tape counters (e.g the C64 C2N was they move at different speeds for different tapes...

woody.cool

Re:

Post by woody.cool » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:14 am

hungry_hog wrote:the thing about those tape counters (e.g the C64 C2N was they move at different speeds for different tapes...
That's due to the retention of the tape - if the spools have more tape on, they turn slower - the counter moves by the rotation of the sprockets - there's a rubber band from one of them connecting to the tape counter. Also, the longer the tape, the slower the tape counter!

OriginalJax

Re:

Post by OriginalJax » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:13 pm

merman wrote: It's a damn good blaster, based on the old arcade game Mad Planets, and it has a stunning Rob Hubbard soundtrack. I won't have you disrespecting Crazy Comets round here.... :wink:
I have no argument with you there! It *is* a great little game, and the music often ranks highly on peoples lists of favourite C64 music (mine included). In fact games that succeed despite being somewhat 'basic' are normally a hit with me, because I'm crap at the more complex ones :D

I just meant that they obviously didn't need to fill 64K to fit the game in :)

O-Jax
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?

felgekarp

Re:

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:36 pm

OriginalJax wrote:
merman wrote: It's a damn good blaster, based on the old arcade game Mad Planets, and it has a stunning Rob Hubbard soundtrack. I won't have you disrespecting Crazy Comets round here.... :wink:
I have no argument with you there! It *is* a great little game, and the music often ranks highly on peoples lists of favourite C64 music (mine included). In fact games that succeed despite being somewhat 'basic' are normally a hit with me, because I'm crap at the more complex ones :D

I just meant that they obviously didn't need to fill 64K to fit the game in :)

O-Jax
Didn't it have speech as well, saying "extra life" and "rotate" when you picked things up or is that another game I'm thinking about?
Splink!

OriginalJax

Re:

Post by OriginalJax » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:41 pm

felgekarp wrote: Didn't it have speech as well, saying "extra life" and "rotate" when you picked things up or is that another game I'm thinking about?
Wasn't the the follow-up, "Mega Apocalypse"?

(Which probably took longer to load ;))

O-Jax
WTF!? The 80's are GONE!? And they're never coming BACK!?

felgekarp

Re:

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:43 pm

OriginalJax wrote:
felgekarp wrote: Didn't it have speech as well, saying "extra life" and "rotate" when you picked things up or is that another game I'm thinking about?
Wasn't the the follow-up, "Mega Apocalypse"?

(Which probably took longer to load ;))

O-Jax
Yes it may have been, I'll have to check that one out as I always liked that game.
Splink!

Sabreman

Post by Sabreman » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:17 pm

Mega Apocalypse was the follow-up to Crazy Comets, yeah. Nice remix of the music, too - though I still prefer the CC original.

MrCrusher

Post by MrCrusher » Sat Jan 27, 2007 11:14 pm

Uridium and AlleyKat from Graftgold had very fast loading times, don't know the actual time, but damn fast, In fact, I believe all Graftgold games had prety quick loading times.

And you could stop the tape mid load, rewind it a bit, press play and it would resume loading and still load properly to play.

I agree with the comments about Crazy Comets too, (being a fast loader AND a great blast em up).

What about Gunship on tape though? 30mins set up and start a mission?

Whats that all about?

There should be a slowest loading games chart as well.
Love

MrCrusher

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:01 am

MrCrusher wrote:Uridium and AlleyKat from Graftgold had very fast loading times, don't know the actual time, but damn fast, In fact, I believe all Graftgold games had prety quick loading times.

And you could stop the tape mid load, rewind it a bit, press play and it would resume loading and still load properly to play.

I agree with the comments about Crazy Comets too, (being a fast loader AND a great blast em up).

What about Gunship on tape though? 30mins set up and start a mission?

Whats that all about?

There should be a slowest loading games chart as well.
many Microprose games were designed for the US market,who mainly used Disk Drives.When they were imported into the UK,they just stuck the different sections off the disk onto tape
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

roberthazelby

Re:

Post by roberthazelby » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:55 pm

mrbungle wrote:Was it the US Gold games that had the countdown type thing when loading on the speccy?
You stare....you pray.....then before it reached zero

'DUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR'

:twisted: :twisted: :evil:
TAPE ERROR! REWIND AND RELOAD

and then 5 seconds later the computer reset.

Happy days! ;)
Xbox Live: roberthazelby | The Retro Ranch | The Retro Ranch Blog