For the Mag: Deathchase

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Re: For the Mag: Deathchase

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:36 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
resident paul wrote:It's really good game & one of those you can spend ages trying topping for high scores.
The game came out the same year as the film 'The Return Of The Jedi!' & the Endor Chase scene very familiar to the game.
I wondering did anybody to interview the programmer of the game as I heard he was very elusive?
Contact was made with Mervyn Estcourt via his nephew iirc, and he's not interested in talking about it. Its not a special memory for him. Perhaps this current article is an attempt to shw how widely loved it is so he may reconsider?
I had several conversations with merv's cousin last year and he kindly asked him for me. Sadly mervyn made it clear that he doesn't want to talk about the past. Since then, his cousin hasn't replied to any of my further emails so I guess that's that.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:47 pm

Spector wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
Wasn't there another Commodore 16 game by Atlantis called 3D Death Chase? The cover had a skull over a flag it may be a totally unrelated game as its one of the few Commodore 16 games I've not played
You're thinking about Death Race 16, an unofficial take on Sega's Turbo? I've played that one too! Shallow but fun.

Here's more:
http://plus4world.powweb.com/software/Death_Race_16
And the cover:
http://plus4world.powweb.com/software/D ... _16#covers
Thanks Spector not a game I've ever came across back in the day but seems to turn up a lot on Ebay.. Looks a lot like the Colecovision Turbo but graphically not as good
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:51 am

Wow, I could write an essay on how great this game is!

Games like Deathchase only come round once in a generation. The pure simplicity of the controls and game dynamic, coupled with great graphics and fast moving action make it an absolutely astonishing game for a 16k computer. Now I am not necessarily saying that these Sega copied the game, but just have a go of Space Harrier without using the up down controls. Had the Spectrum possessed the power of the Megadrive I am sure the game would have turned out a lot like Sega's arcade classic.

The game has not aged in any way other than graphics/sound and is just as much fun today as it ever was. If you are one of those people who cannot put up with the Speccy's garish palette then just load up Red Dead Redemption, hop on a horse and ride over to Tall Trees. There you can speed through the forest, dodging trees and shooting deer in almost exactly the same way as you do in Deathchase (if you replace the horse for a motorbike and deer for enemy riders).

And I haven't even mentioned it being the best ever unofficial Star Wars game!

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:30 am

When I first saw Stuart Campbell's "Top 100 Speccy Games of All Time" in Your Sinclair, and his glowing review of this particular game, I longed to play it.

When YS gave it away on a covertape, I eagerly loaded it up, and was surprised at how short the loading time was... surely this was not befitting the best Spectrum game of all time? The anticipation needed to build, surely I had not been kept waiting long enough?

Looking at the game in context with its age, yes, it's impressive. Yes, it stood up well against the test of time, was still fast, well designed, action-packed and challenging, all the key components to being a "great" game. But was it the BEST Speccy game of all time?

No. But that doesn't mean it wasn't a great game in its own right. I enjoyed it, I loaded it up many times, but, and this is just off the top of my head without really THINKING about it, I know I spent a lot more hours on Chaos than I did on Deathchase.

I'll gladly give the Fishsta seal of approval to Deathchase, and anyone who hasn't played it should give it 5 minutes of their time... although that'll probably be enough to get you hooked for at least a little while longer. But don't play it expecting it to beat every single other great Spectrum game hands down. It deserves its place among them, though.
ImageImage

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:28 am

A great way to play Deathchase is on a Nintendo DS using SpeccyDS or some other such emulator.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:07 am

WATCH OUT FOR THE TRE....<smash!> Yes, your first go could last as long as it took to read that. It has a sense of speed that even today, among the fancy-dan, new fangled-dangled creations, stands up well. And later levels with the addition of more and more trees, the sense of speed becomes ever more frantic, requiring faster and faster reactions whilst still trying to despatch enemies ahead. It's a tough, tough challenge. But also a very simple one, too.

Back in the day, I didn't give it much interest. It does, after all, look very basic in design. Back then I didn't really take to basic looking games with a repeat scenario and failed to acknowledge the underlying greatness, seeking contentment with more fanciful offerings. My loss, then. Today, although I haven't returned to it since its appearance in the RetroLeague, I can see the beauty of it. Simple. Uncluttered (yes, I know there are millions of trees, but it is simply trees, sky, ground, handlebars and no more than four enemies at a distance; so I think that can be classed as 'uncluttered'; there is nothing unnecessary). Fast. Seriously fast. A sense of speed that 16k should never have been able to generate. And that is where the majority of the fun stems from - just how fast can you go? Obviously, you have to rid the level of the few hardy enemies to find out....

But: is it the best Spectrum game ever? No. That accolade for me goes to Quazatron. But it could equally go to a choice of Ultimate creations, or The Great Escape, or The Land Before Time, one of Miner Willy's outings, 3D Ant Attack, or a handful of other illustrious creations that have stood the test of time in one shape or form. 3D Deathchase, however, is undoubtedly a contender for the accolade and likely will always remain so.

Everyone, whatever machine or favoured genre, should give 3DD a go. Some of you will pass-on after a few minutes, but I expect a lot of converts out there.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:38 am

I'd say that it's massively overrated; the gameplay is very shallow, the graphics are a cheap trick that was obvious to my thirteen year old self at the time let alone anyone with any technical knowledge of the Spectrum, and it's doing the machine a major disservice to suggest that it's somehow a contender for the best game it has to offer. Heck, even with 16K you could play the likes of Jetpac and Sir Lancelot.

Yet, despite all that, it's still pretty good fun and looks rather impressive in it's own garish fashion. It's a simple pleasure best judged on its own merits rather than compared against anything else.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:43 pm

Is it th best Speccy game? Not by a long shot. But it certainly is one of the most addictive and replayable of games.

The only instructions required: Speed.Shoot.Dodge.

Btw has anyone ever played this on a big projector screen? That has the potential to be all kinds of awesome.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:49 am

Best Speccy game ever ? Not at all.

In the early years of the Speccy when you got tons of crappy basic games or cassette covers with an amazing picture of dragons yet when you loaded it you were an 'asterisk' fighting dragons which were a percent sign, then yeah Death Chase was superb.

Came out at a great time as Return of the Jedi was around in 1984 wasnt it ? Obviously we all pretended we were on our Speeder Bike going through Endor when we played Deathchase.

A very good early Speccy game, i go back to it now and then for a few minutes but not any longer periods. But back in the early 80's with Star Wars being so huge it was a great game.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:10 am

I absolutely love Deathchase, it has a lot going for it, with the fact that any idiot can pick up & play it combined with the one more go factor, a short loading time, it's among many people's earliest memories of games & totally caught that Return of the Jedi hype. Unfortunately it suffers the burden of being labelled "the greatest speccy game of all time" that no game can ever live up to because we all have our different opinions.
Last edited by the_hawk on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Spector

Post by Spector » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:29 am

There's too many wildly different genres to argue what's the single best game ever, but I think in any respectable all-time Top Twenty for the Spectrum, Deathchase has to be there.
The Retro Gaming Discord channel. Every Sunday from 9pm- click this link:
https://discordapp.com/invite/Tphe4UH

Don't be scared: join in the chat! :)

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:16 am

psj3809 wrote:Came out at a great time as Return of the Jedi was around in 1984 wasnt it ? Obviously we all pretended we were on our Speeder Bike going through Endor when we played Deathchase.
If you were a big of a Star Wars fan as we lead to believe you will known it was 1983 & every Star Wars film takes 3 years to make!

Tenesmus

Post by Tenesmus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:29 pm

Wake the thread...

It's a pity that Mervyn isn't interested. I loaned him my Compukit UK101 in about 1981 and he taught himself programming with it. He bought a Spectrum and the rest, as they say, is history. (I seem to recall he got an Amiga 500 when they came out and was coding on it one day when I popped in but I don't think anything came of it).

I remember him telling me about an interview in a magazine (C&VG??) about Full Throttle - he showed it to me and it said something at the end about him "riding his motorbike" and he said they made it up.

I have a fond memory of going with him into the Royal Oak pub (now a Tesco) in Portishead and some kids nudging each other and whispering "that's the bloke that did Death Chase".

A really good bloke and it's a shame I lost touch.

If he's not interested in the past that's his decision, regrettably.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:34 pm

Shame I didn't get to talk to you prior to the article, sounds like you have some nice anecdotes.
I'll have another try soon.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:56 am

Technically impressive and fun for a few minutes but as shallow as the average Game and Watch title. From an era where having a bit of a 3D effect would guarantee you good reviews.