Great Videogame Bosses

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fishsta

Re: Great Videogame Bosses

Post by Fishsta » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:45 am

Oooh, nice thread.

First mention must go to a couple of games I've never played, but seen the bosses on Youtube etc. and wanted to take them on, problem is they're RPGs, and I can't really cope with playing them to that kind of level. Giyagas from Earthbound is one, the other is Ruby Weapon from one of the Final Fantasy games.

Back to games I have played, and my favourite bosses:

Dameron from Myth (Spectrum)
Level 3 on R-Type (Spectrum)
Minion Soldier from the Dice Palace on Gunstar Heroes (Megadrive)

And if you've never seen it, the terrifying Wumpus from Hunt The Wumpus on the TI-99/4A.

ImageImage

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:42 am

Oh man, where to start? You could pick just about any from Resident Evil 4; you have R-Type's defining alien creature thing; then there's the original, brilliant descending UFO in Phoenix.. but I will choose (just because it's Thursday) the ubiquitous Resident Evil 3 boss 'Nemesis' simply because I'd never changed pants so many times during a game because of one foe. In fact I think the whole notion of a videogame boss was perfected by Capcom during the creation of that there game, it simply took things to another level. As a side note, only my real boss at the factory plant has given me more nightmares, well, him or his wife.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:48 am

ncf1 wrote:Oh man, where to start? You could pick just about any from Resident Evil 4; you have R-Type's defining alien creature thing; then there's the original, brilliant descending UFO in Phoenix.. but I will choose (just because it's Thursday) the ubiquitous Resident Evil 3 boss 'Nemesis' simply because I'd never changed pants so many times during a game because of one foe. In fact I think the whole notion of a videogame boss was perfected by Capcom during the creation of that there game, it simply took things to another level. As a side note, only my real boss at the factory plant has given me more nightmares, well, him or his wife.
I completely forgot about Nemesis (or any of the Tyrant class RE bosses for that matter). I always liked Nemsis the most though, the fact he stalked you through the game and you never quite knew when he'd show up next. Plus I really liked his various mutations throughout the game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:53 am

Tyrant is a top top call! I remember that ending just blowing my head clean off! Waiting for that bloody rocket launcher :? :? :? longest wait in gaming :D only after learning his dash pattern could you actually beat him without the launcher! ace.

retroman83

Post by retroman83 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:56 am

First one that comes to my mind is on God of War 2 on the PS2 when the big statue comes alive on the first level.

it was only a few years ago that I first played it and it actually made me like go WHOAAAA as I was playing it. Thought it was brilliant!!!

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:15 am

I've always really liked Damnd from Final Fight. I think it's the dreds.

Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:37 am

In my humble opinion two of the best ever boss fights came from the same game. Psyco Mantis & Metal Gear Rex! Mantis blew my mind back in the day 'I see you like Castlevania...' :shock: