Defining PC Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NorthWay

Re: Defining PC Games

Post by NorthWay » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:47 pm

PC games? That is defined as before or after Wolfenstein 3D.

Before you could get the same games in worse or better shape on Random Platform XYZ.
After you had to go PC for any "into the screen" game (aka FPS style). Sadly (as an Amiga afficionado) the world seemed to follow a decree that that was the only style of game worth anything.

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:25 am

NorthWay wrote:PC games? That is defined as before or after Wolfenstein 3D.

Before you could get the same games in worse or better shape on Random Platform XYZ.
After you had to go PC for any "into the screen" game (aka FPS style). Sadly (as an Amiga afficionado) the world seemed to follow a decree that that was the only style of game worth anything.
I'm pretty sure I could think of about 20 good PC exclusives that aren't anywhere close to being FPSes. If that's what you meant, anyway.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:09 am

For me it was Emulation.
Emulation had been tried before with mixed results. Just getting Chaos up and running on my Amiga A500 took the patience of a saint. Then I got a PC in 1996 and I realised that it was powerful enough to play my old ZX Speccy/Amiga and C64 games. Then came MAME of course and a host of other emulators... :D

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:24 pm

Doddsy wrote:For me it was Emulation.
Emulation had been tried before with mixed results. Just getting Chaos up and running on my Amiga A500 took the patience of a saint. Then I got a PC in 1996 and I realised that it was powerful enough to play my old ZX Speccy/Amiga and C64 games. Then came MAME of course and a host of other emulators... :D
That's a point.

In fact my first PC processor upgrade was in order for me to play ZSNES! I switched from a 266mhz Intel Celeron to an AMD K6-2 350mhz! I practically doubled my emulation frame rate! :lol:

Of course then I discovered overclocking....
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:05 pm

Bobinator wrote:I'm pretty sure I could think of about 20 good PC exclusives that aren't anywhere close to being FPSes.
From before Wolfenstein 3D? Do tell. Do not be surprised if we do not agree on "good" though :-)

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:04 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Bobinator wrote:I'm pretty sure I could think of about 20 good PC exclusives that aren't anywhere close to being FPSes.
From before Wolfenstein 3D? Do tell. Do not be surprised if we do not agree on "good" though :-)
From before Wolf 3D? That would take a while longer. My point is, anyway, that FPSes are hardly the only genre that were on the system. That'd be like saying that platformers were the only thing worth playing on the Genesis?Mega Drive. There might have been a lot of them, sure, but that's hardly all there was.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:50 pm

For me it was Emulation
thats a good shout

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:35 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
For me it was Emulation
thats a good shout
Not in the spirit of the opening question though....

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:40 am

Freestyler wrote:
Doddsy wrote:For me it was Emulation.
That's a point.

In fact my first PC processor upgrade was in order for me to play ZSNES! I switched from a 266mhz Intel Celeron to an AMD K6-2 350mhz! I practically doubled my emulation frame rate! :lol:

followed by the joys of the magic blue smoke and frying electronics ? :wink:
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:20 am

Freestyler wrote: That's a point.

Did ZSNES really need that kind of processing power? Even back then? :shock: I'm pretty sure I ran a SNES emu on my old 486 100Mhz back in the late 90's, although I forget which one. :?

I also recall running quite a few MAME games on that PC, some of the original arcade machines had two 68000 CPU's. Or perhaps my memory fails me :?

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:38 am

Age of Empire. The first time a game made the PC my main gaming platform - so addicted I had to uninstall it in the end.

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:56 am

Pfff, ZSNES.... ESNES all the way :D

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:20 am

There are many games that I consider synonymous with PC gaming and though they may have been ported to other systems I can only really bring myself to play these games on PC, games like Half-Life, Football Manager, Deux Ex, Painkiller, Diablo, Unreal Tournamant etc, these are all PC classics. There are many games I can play on consoles but prefer to play on PC such as Fallout 3 which was so much more fun on PC.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:32 am

GigaPepsiMan wrote:There are many games that I consider synonymous with PC gaming and though they may have been ported to other systems I can only really bring myself to play these games on PC, games like Half-Life, Football Manager, Deux Ex, Painkiller, Diablo, Unreal Tournamant etc, these are all PC classics. There are many games I can play on consoles but prefer to play on PC such as Fallout 3 which was so much more fun on PC.
Fallout 3 might not have been a PC game first, but its two predecessors in the series were and they'd be a lot more at home in an article about classic PC games.