Defining PC Games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snowkatt

Re: Defining PC Games

Post by snowkatt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:08 am

i am a very late pc gamer so for me the defining games would be the sims 2 and vampire bloodlines

those were the first two pc games i ever bothred to give any serious consideration
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Scapegoat

Post by Scapegoat » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:23 am

Certain games encouraged hardware upgrades so: Wing commander got people to move to SoundBlaster, Doom made people upgrade the CPU, Myst pushed forward CD-ROM, Quake 1 and 2 brought 3D graphic cards to the mainstream and it was at this point onward that PC gaming was always ahead of the curve.
HADDOCKEN!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:47 am

Matt_B wrote:
markopoloman wrote:RTS games - not Dune 2 as this was Amiga also...
Why not? The PC version came first and is usually regarded as the definitive one.
My mistake, I thought they were released around the same time but I see it was PC in 92 and Amiga in 93.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 am

X-Wing was the first PC game that made my draw drop. It was only running on a mid range 386, but it was just so smooth. To see full 3D graphics running at such a stable frame rate was something special in 1993. It didn't slow down either, no matter how many enemies were on the screen. This was the next thing in gaming at the time. Well, until the PlayStation came along.

The other games were Wolfenstein 3D, Doom, Rise of the Triad and of course Doom II. Then in 1996 came Duke Nukem 3D and Quake. They were something special. It took me a week to get used to being able to look up and down!

The most defining game for me had to be Civilisation 2. I had it in about 1996, and was at college at the time. Anyway, I had little money, and this game was just so awesome at the time, I didn't need many other games for a while. I remember it came in a nice cardboard box, with a huge instruction manual. Also it was so customisable, you could change pretty much everything, the graphics, the sound effects, even the game rules.

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 am

A very broad question - what actually is 'definitive'?
Is it a game that originated on the PC? or could it be a game whereby the definitive version was the PC version?
Personally, I believe it to be both, but with a leaning towards the latter and as such here is my list (broken into categories):

1. Unquestionable and Well-known
  • Doom, Quake, Duke 3D, Dark forces
  • The PC has always been known for its FPS games.
  • Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft
  • Blizzard is synonymous with the PC.
  • Microsoft Flight Sim
  • If you want to play a serious Flight Sim then the PC is the platform of choice.
  • The Sims
  • We all hate it, but you can't deny its impact on gaming in general.
  • Command and Conquer / Red Alert
  • RTS games should [i]only[/i] be played with a mouse.

2. Originated on PC or definitive version is on PC
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • It really annoys me the amount of people (idiots) who claim this to be a Playstation game. It was a PC game which was [i]ported[/i] to the PS1. The PC version is also better (3Dfx high-res graphics).
  • Tomb Raider
  • Originally released on the Saturn, however, the PC version is again the definitive version - 3Dfx high-res graphics :)
  • Magic Carpet
  • Great game, released on the PC 2 years before console ports and looks and plays better on PC
  • Little Big Adventure
  • ditto, first released on PC, best version PC version.
  • Carmageddon
  • 2nd best game ever, but only PC gamers know this, because all the console ports were shockingly terrible.

Only playable on PC!

The most important list. The reason PC gaming is great. These games can only be played at a computer with a mouse and keyboard, they are what differentiates the PC from consoles. Most console games (shmups, beat em ups, platformers etc. ) received terrible PC ports. They are not what you should be playing on PC. These are the games that give the PC its identity.
  • Championship Manager 2
  • Want to play a Football Manager game? You need a PC. Nothing more definitive than the Champ Man / Football Man series in PC gaming.
  • Sam and Max, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango
  • Lucasarts perfected the point and click genre on PC
  • Broken Sword
  • not only Lucasarts made defining adventure games!
  • Civilisation series
  • Ported to other platforms, but originated on PC. Strategy games work best on a PC.
  • Dungeon Keeper
  • Strategy gone evil.
  • Homeworld
  • Strategy gone to Space.
  • Simcity series
  • (especially Simcity 4) Didn't originate on PC, but the sequels did and they have super-seeded the original. Simcity 4 shows how amazing, intelligent and beautiful PC gaming can be in a way that is so different to console gaming (I'm a big fan btw)
  • Caesar 3
  • City building in the Roman Empire.
  • The Settlers 2
  • Original Settlers was an Amiga game but the sequel was recently voted (by fans) as the best version in the series.
  • Shogun: Total War
  • Warfare PC style.
  • Age of Empires
  • Civilisation meets Simcity meets Command and Conquer.
  • Ultima 7, System Shock, Baldurs Gate, Planescape Torment, Ultima Underworld
  • Until this gen of consoles, the PC was the only place to play good western RPGs.

MMORPG - The PC didn't invent MMO gaming, but it dominates the genre.
  • World of Warcraft
  • Love it or loathe it, its impact is unquestionable.
  • Ultima Online
  • The Grandaddy.
  • Eve Online
  • Awe inspiring.
  • Magic the Gathering Online
  • MTG at its wonderful best.

Shareware - Not so much due to the quality of the games, more how the distribution method defined an era of PC gaming and gave rise to several prominent developers.
  • Epic Pinball
  • Commander Keen
  • Duke Nukem
  • Jazz Jackrabbit
  • One must Fall 2097
  • [/b]

Notable extras
  • Privateer 2: The Darkening, Tie Fighter, X: Beyond the Frontier
  • Serious Space Shooters are great on PC.
  • Screamer
  • Has aged badly, but showed the PC was capable of action racers.
  • Links 386
  • The PC plays a great game of Golf.
  • Ecstatica
  • Better than Alone in the Dark.

I hope that answers your question. I'm a huge fan of PC gaming and love the type of gaming it offers, not due to technical prowess, but due to how different it is compared to console gaming.

Ta,
Pete
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:08 pm

The Total War games have always been pretty amazing. Have they even released a bad one yet?

The Total wars games are quite different to your average strategy title, no game does war strategy like Total War. Sure, you've got your Dunes and your C&C's, but this is something else.

Ten thousand men on the screen at once! It's always been very pleasurable (well to me at least) to survey the battlefield after a good victory and see all the enemy dead, thousands of them!

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:12 pm

[Sing]
War
huuurrr
good god
what is it good for?
absolutely nothing
[/Sing]

...except computer games!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:27 pm

the_hawk wrote:Championship Manager: Season 00/01 - Still to my mind the greatest Football management sim that gets the balance just right. Everything before or since has been either too simplistic or too unnecessarily overbearing.
Close ..... but no. Champ Manager 3 is teh bestest! I do play both version still though and without doubt have played more compiled hours on those 2 titles than any other (possibly combined?).

I'd agree with C&C Red Alert as well, great game

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:40 pm

uh broken sword ?
its been released on the consoles as well
and sim city 1 and 2000 were rleased on the snes and ps1 and saturn respectivley

that pc bias isnt showing through is it ? :wink:

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:53 pm

snowkatt wrote:uh broken sword ?
and sim city 1 and 2000 were rleased on the snes and ps1 and saturn respectivley

Did you even read my post?
Seriously.

Broken sword should be played on a PC with a mouse. You cannot play it with a Controller - that is beyond pants.
Simcity on a console? Really? Really really? - It doesn't even compare.

Just because some PC games received ill-advised console ports takes nothing away from how great they are on a PC.

Try playing Simcity 4 on a controller and come back and tell me it isn't a PC game.

No bias at all ;)

Edit: Further to my point, take this example. Isometric Ultimate games are defining games of the ZX Spectrum, despite the fact that they were ported to other platforms! :)
Last edited by pforson on Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:57 pm

pforson wrote:[*]Microsoft Flight Sim[/*] If you want to play a serious Flight Sim then the PC is the platform of choice.
I'd think of it as one of the most definitive PC games too, but it's actually a port of an Apple II game.

Still, from version 3.0 onwards the PC was the lead (and sometimes only) platform, so I'm sure an exception can be made for it.

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:17 pm

Matt_B wrote:
pforson wrote:[*]Microsoft Flight Sim[/*] If you want to play a serious Flight Sim then the PC is the platform of choice.
I'd think of it as one of the most definitive PC games too, but it's actually a port of an Apple II game.

Still, from version 3.0 onwards the PC was the lead (and sometimes only) platform, so I'm sure an exception can be made for it.
That's the whole point.
The series as a whole is synonymous with the PC. The fact that the first version originated elsewhere is neither here nor there. There's no exception needed, it is a series of games that define the PC as a gaming platform.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:21 pm

pforson wrote:
snowkatt wrote:uh broken sword ?

Did you even read my post?
Seriously.

Broken sword should be played on a PC with a mouse. You cannot play it with a Controller - that is beyond pants.
Simcity on a console? Really? Really really? - It doesn't even compare.

Just because some PC games received ill-advised console ports takes nothing away from how great they are on a PC.

Try playing Simcity 4 on a controller and come back and tell me it isn't a PC game.

No bias at all ;)

Edit: Further to my point, take this example. Isometric Ultimate games are defining games of the ZX Spectrum, despite the fact that they were ported to other platforms! :)
i read it
seriously

and the playstation does have mouse btw so does the snes
not that they are all that great
now the sims on a console that all kinds off awfull

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:32 pm

snowkatt wrote: i read it
seriously

and the playstation does have mouse btw so does the snes
not that they are all that great
now the sims on a console that all kinds off awfull
The PC had a 6 button Joypad. You still shouldn't play Street Fighter 2 on a PC.
The fact that games are ported to other systems is irrelevant.

Darran said it better than me in another thread:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:If a game is defining its influence is felt elsewhere or it receives lots of ports
I am however glad that you read my post seriously.
Seriously.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Command & Conquer (Tiberium Sun, personally), Freespace 1 & 2, Descent, Imperium Galactica 2, Freelancer, Half Life (not a fan personally tbh), Counter-Strike (pre-source), Homeworld, Homeworld Cataclysm, System Shock 2, Thief 2, Deus Ex, Aliens Vs Predator, Mechwarriror 2, 3 & 4 & various expansions, MechCommander 2, Civ 2 etc etc. In a nutshell, RTS, earlier-FPS, Resource Management & spaceship games.