Freedom Planet: Sonic ala Treasure, Sonic style indie game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Bobinator

Freedom Planet: Sonic ala Treasure, Sonic style indie game

Post by Bobinator » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:53 am

So, there's been a game in development for a while, called Freedom Planet. Early on, it started off as a game set in the Sonic universe, with new characters. Eventually, though, it split off into its own thing entirely, with the character design and gameplay mechanics changed around to be just a bit more original. Sure, it's still pretty easy to compare to Sonic, but there's a little bit of Ristar and Rocket Knight Adventures, too.

The game's actually pretty far in development, and there's a great demo if you want to give it a shot. If you enjoyed the Sonic games on the Genesis, RKA, or any of Treasure's stuff, you'll probably enjoy this, too. I'd go ahead and say this is probably one of the best indie platformers I've seen since the Giana Sisters reboot, and honestly, this is looking way better. Just from the demo alone, there's some amazing spritework, and a great mix of speed and actual exploration, with a good number of alternate paths.

If you enjoy it, you might want to put money towards their Kickstarter. The more money that gets sent, the more extra features get thrown in, and you can get the game for yourself for only $10 USD. Keep in mind that it's less for actually getting the game out and more for extra features and getting it on as many formats as they can, including Steam.

ImageImage

Oh, yeah, here's a video.

DPrinny

Re: Freedom Planet: Sonic ala Treasure, Sonic style indie ga

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:53 pm

Was going to put it on my "Im interested" till these words
you might want to put money towards their Kickstarter.
<Insert usual Kickstarter rant>

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:26 am

Saw this on Steam Greenlight last night, gave it an up vote. I'd buy it if it was out :)

Ninetyeightytwo

Post by Ninetyeightytwo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:18 pm

DPrinny wrote:Was going to put it on my "Im interested" till these words
What's wrong with Kickstarter (when it's not a big studio or an established developer using it)?

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:43 pm

I played the demo yesterday, it was a pretty good platformer. I'll probably be putting $10 towards the Kickstarter as I quite fancy the full game when it's complete.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:01 pm

Ninetyeightytwo wrote:
What's wrong with Kickstarter (when it's not a big studio or an established developer using it)?
What you listed, its like a massive begging service with no guarantee of results for a start

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:34 pm

What you listed, its like a massive begging service with no guarantee of results for a start
No guarantee about results? What about the demo, for starters? I mean, there are a lot of Kickstarters out there that get anywhere, even a few that aren't entirely honest. I'm pretty sure this particular one is neither, though, going by how much footage they've got of the later levels.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:49 pm

Bobinator wrote:
No guarantee about results? What about the demo, for starters? I mean, there are a lot of Kickstarters out there that get anywhere, even a few that aren't entirely honest. I'm pretty sure this particular one is neither, though, going by how much footage they've got of the later levels.
Ive been in this conversation way to often

TBH there are tons of free Sonic hacks out there (Recommend Sonic Megamix), whats to say this inst a reskin of one?

Bobinator

Post by Bobinator » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:41 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Bobinator wrote:
Ive been in this conversation way to often

TBH there are tons of free Sonic hacks out there (Recommend Sonic Megamix), whats to say this inst a reskin of one?
For one thing, it's not a hack of anything, it's a game built from the ground-up for PC. Two, I'd say you should at least play it before judging it entirely like that. Three, Sonic Megamix hasn't been updated in at least two years, while this will be out sometime next year. Four, it's got a lot of different mechanics from Sonic, like a life bar and an RKA-style boost. I realize it looks a lot like a Sonic game. There's no hiding that. But think about it like this: Even if it plays like Sonic, if it's good, that's just more of what you like, right?

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:16 pm

but i dont like sonic

im going to give this a pass
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Bobinator wrote:
For one thing, it's not a hack of anything, it's a game built from the ground-up for PC. Two, I'd say you should at least play it before judging it entirely like that. Three, Sonic Megamix hasn't been updated in at least two years, while this will be out sometime next year. Four, it's got a lot of different mechanics from Sonic, like a life bar and an RKA-style boost. I realize it looks a lot like a Sonic game. There's no hiding that. But think about it like this: Even if it plays like Sonic, if it's good, that's just more of what you like, right?
Constant updates do not make a game great, unless it was already broken.

"Sometime next year"
Bit early to start planing for next year

Seems like the days of an inde developer just making the game first are long gone

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:07 am

I just tried out the demo,

* Xbox 360 Controller not recognised automatically and no game menu present to select joypad contols :roll:
* Consulted readme file to learn that the Settings.exe file must be first opened to configure joypad controls :roll:
* Tried opening said file but my PC's virus killer software flagged it as a serious threat :roll:
* Virus killer software automatically deleted said file :roll: (Gee, this is going so well! :lol: )
* Played demo using keyboard controls to bring back memories of the good old days
* Thought the first available protagonist looked like Amy Rose from the Sonic The Hedgehog series genetically spliced with My Little Pony! Gameplay seemed uninspiring
* Demo deleted
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:23 am

@ Dreamy, seriously? You're that much of a biff that you can't take 30 seconds to setup the controls on a free demo? How pampered are you by new games. :lol:

The 360 controller works fine if you spend about one minute reading the instructions and applying the settings, unless you have the patience of an excited 7 year old.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:38 am

r0jaws wrote:@ Dreamy, seriously? You're that much of a biff that you can't take 30 seconds to setup the controls on a free demo? How pampered are you by new games. :lol:
r0jy, the 'rolling eyes' emoticons were posted with tongue firmly planted in cheek. :mrgreen:
The 360 controller works fine if you spend about one minute reading the instructions and applying the settings,
Yeah, because I really fancied undeleting said file after my virus killer flagged it as a 'serious threat'. If you spent 5 seconds reading my post properly you'd know that I had read the instructions. :wink:
unless you have the patience of an excited 7 year old
Ah, so that'll explain why I bought Ninty's latest console then. :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

r0jaws

Post by r0jaws » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:39 am

Fair enough, what virus scanner have you got? I use MSE, and Malwarebytes and neither of those saw anything unusual with it. I'm sure the developers would be interested in which company has flagged up their distribution as containing possible malware.