The worse game in the world ever, Round 1 Heat A

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Round 1, Heat A

Poll ended at Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:22 am

Hard drivin (C64)
23%
Hercules (Electron)
4%
Dr Franken (Snes)
5%
Knight lore (zx spectrum)
3%
GTA 2 (PC)
5%
Dragons Lair (Arcade)
9%
Ninety nine knights (360)
4%
Sqij (Spectrum)
5%
Goal! (Game boy)
8%
Shaq fu (mega drive)
33%

Total votes: 75

RetroMartin

Re: The worse game in the world ever, Round 1 Heat A

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:03 pm

Only played GTA2 and Dragon's Lair in that list and I don't mind either of them. Surely there are much worse games available?

PSN username - MartinPhantom

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:37 pm

Find it weird Ninety Nine Nights would be on the list. It's a mindless hack and slasher and doesn't do anything particularly special but its hardly even the worst game on Xbox, let alone in the world.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:50 am

GTA 2 one of the worst games ever? Ninety Nine Nights? Dragons Lair?

How about a best games of all time list with Superman 64 and ET?

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:55 am

It is a joke of a list, having Knight Lore on it makes the list completely redundant, where is Rise of the Robots or Cliffhanger ?

how about doing a list of the worst game ever with actually crap games on it ?
"Time fades even legend..."

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:21 am

I think the concept of "heats" has eluded some folk.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Kickboxingshrimp

Post by Kickboxingshrimp » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:25 am

Yep, I thought I'd made this clear in the previous two threads..

There is about 10 heats using the nominated games from a previous thread, in the opening post of this thread I explained that the top 4 nominated will go through to the next round...then EVENTULLY we will find the worst game, there is 99 games nominated in total, obviously someone voted for the games mentioned, if they ain't voted for they won't go through...
Stay Tuna`d

www.kickboxingshrimp.com

Xbox Live Account : KBS Dot Com

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:13 am

I understand the concept of a heat, I am contesting that these games should even be in the discussion full stop.

But if some folks think they are bad then so be it.
Last edited by RUOK on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:21 am

RUOK wrote:I understand the concept of heat, I am contesting that these games should even be in the discussion full stop.

Most likely they'll just pick up very few votes and get no further, so it's no big deal.

Disappointingly, by the same token, we'll also lose most of the games that are really the worst though and the final will come down to the usual examples of overhyped mediocrity rather than games that are genuinely terrible.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:30 am

Matt_B wrote:Most likely they'll just pick up very few votes and get no further, so it's no big deal.

Disappointingly, by the same token, we'll also lose most of the games that are really the worst though and the final will come down to the usual examples of overhyped mediocrity rather than games that are genuinely terrible.
Yeah, that's the nature of the beast though.

Truly terrible games won't have sold in big numbers so most people won't have experienced them.

I've played some absolute stinkers over the years that have been instantly forgettable, the games that get the most votes will be the ones that most people have played, I haven't heard of half that list & have only played about a third of the games listed so it'd be impossible for me to have an honest opinion about which game is the worst.

What does surprise me is the number of people getting their panties in a wad over someone's opinion of a game, if you don't think it should be on a list....there's 9 others you can vote for in this heat & 99 others altogether.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

gman72

Post by gman72 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:48 am

I'm surprised that you're surprised. Nightlore was a superb game with amazing graphics and fantastic gameplay. That you didn't like it is fair enough, that you included in the list when by your own admission there are games you disliked more is what irks, but hopefully it won't get through but I almost want people to vote it through just to define the futility of lists like this. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:35 am

RUOK wrote:I understand the concept of a heat, I am contesting that these games should even be in the discussion full stop.

Yeah, but the vote will show how bad these games aren't!
Last edited by slacey1070 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:37 am

Worst game ever...Ninety Nine Nights? Is this a serious poll?

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:39 am

the_hawk wrote:What does surprise me is the number of people getting their panties in a wad over someone's opinion of a game, if you don't think it should be on a list....there's 9 others you can vote for in this heat & 99 others altogether.
I'm not getting my panties in any wad... and I do understand what a 'heat' is, thank you.
I however think some people can't differentiate between a game they don't like, and a truly bad game. Myself I don't like Super Mario 64, but I don't in all honesty think it's one of the worst games in the world ever - it's just not a game i enjoy.

If everyone just picked a game they didn't like, rather than thinking about truly atrocious games, then the whole system falls down. Lots of people don't like Ocarina of Time, or Halo or Half Life, or Doom etc. etc. but they are clearly not the worst games in the world ever.

As others have said when you say worst games ever I think of games such as Rise of the Robots, Great Space Race, truly truly broken games.

I'm willing to go with the majority though, and if most people think Knight Lore should be there and it gets through to the next round then so be it. I won't agree, but so be it.

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:59 am

ipmarks wrote:Myself I don't like Super Mario 64, but I don't in all honesty think it's one of the worst games in the world ever - it's just not a game i enjoy.
Now that truly is a terrible game. Uncotrollable twee twoddle.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:01 am

ipmarks wrote:If everyone just picked a game they didn't like, rather than thinking about truly atrocious games, then the whole system falls down. Lots of people don't like Ocarina of Time, or Halo or Half Life, or Doom etc. etc. but they are clearly not the worst games in the world ever.
If everybody nominated & voted for things that were the common consensus or what other people believed rather than their own opinion then democracy breaks down.

Why wouldn't you nominate a game like "Ocarina of Time, or Halo or Half Life, or Doom etc. etc." if that is the game that gave you the least amount of enjoyment you have ever had playing a computer or games console, is that not what this poll was all about? Or is it an exercise in trotting out the same tired old list to be found in this wiki page... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_vi ... _reception

For me, the the opportunity cost of Knight Lore's very existence meant that I didn't get Atic Atac, Cookie, Jet-Pac, Pssst, Sabre Wulf or Tranz-Am for my ninth birthday ANY of which would have given me a lot more fun for me than trying to get to grips with a game that gave me no joy whatsoever.

I'll tell you this now, whatever DOES win, there'll be 50 games on Cassette 50 & 52 games on the Megadrive's Action 52 which will all be worse than it, does that mean that "the whole system falls down." or does it mean that the poll was only a bit of fun and not anything that is truly definitive that's set in tablets of stone for all eternity?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue