Sega Dreamcast Packs (UK)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

K1NGARTH3R

Sega Dreamcast Packs (UK)

Post by K1NGARTH3R » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:35 am

Back when the Sega Dreamcast was available on the high street there used to be different bundles available from places like Dixon's/Curry's (Maybe other non-DSG companies, i'm unsure).

The systems came in the standard blue Dreamcast box, however had a customs sleeve advertising the free games.

I myself had a Dreamcast with - Sonic Adventure, Tomb Raider Revolution, UEFA Striker & Chu Chu Rocket (Not Advertised).

I'm looking everywhere (eBay/Google) to ultimately find more information on these packs and more so to purchase the one I had when I was a teenager...

Does anyone have any information on this pack or other packs exclusive to the UK market?

If anyone can share pictures that would be great!

davyK

Re: Sega Dreamcast Packs (UK)

Post by davyK » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:46 am

I got mine really late when the DC was all but dead - it was £99 with VF3tb, Eco and Metropolis Steet Racer......the pack was half price in Argos in the new year sale - all that for £50. Not sure if that was an official pack but I think it was - pretty sure there was a sticker on the packaging. Argos even threw in a 2nd (albeit 3rd party) controller - I only had to go round to GAME to get a VMU to get me started - they only had cheap GAME branded ones (not really a VMU - just a memory card - no screen or anything - it still works).

Even at that price it was somewhat controversial for me to do - the wife wasn't all that impressed as we were in the middle of a house renovation....a bargain is a bargain though - have never regretted it. The DC is still going in the same house - only it's now connected to a Sony LCD panel via the wondrous VGA box!

K1NGARTH3R

Post by K1NGARTH3R » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:58 am

Thanks for the information mate, do you still have the original box? I was wondering if you could share a picture of it?

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:03 am

I also picked up mine when the dc was dying. VF, jet set and msr was included. The box had a slip on sleeve that showed what was included.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

K1NGARTH3R

Post by K1NGARTH3R » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:16 am

I'm pretty sure I got mine for around £129.99 which was near to the end of its life!

I can't find any pictures are all on the Internet!

James A

Post by James A » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:24 pm

I got mine a few weeks after the PS2 came out. It was through Electronics Boutique where i was working. £299 got me my Dreamcast, a multi region DVD player and three games. I think they did that deal as everyone was at the time going on about the PS2 having a DVD player. Still got the multi region player now :D

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:46 pm

I got mine from EB, it is the Ultimate pack, it had the console, MSR, Jet Set Radio, and Virtu Fighter 3TB, a VMU unit, and controller, EB also threw in the RGB Scart, and Chu Chu Rocket.

I walked into the other Game in the City, and got Hydro Thunder, Virtua Tennis, Power Stone, Rush 2049, all for under £20 the lot, next was good old Woolworths, Shenmue & Quake 3 from there, £15 for the two, then Choices Video for Sega Rally 2, £5, TrickStyle, £2, Crazy Taxi, £8, then onto our short lived independent store, for Sonic Adventure £7, Soul Caliber, £9, a really great day.

Anyway, I have a few pics here of the box.

K1NGARTH3R

Post by K1NGARTH3R » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks for the stories guys and the pictures :-)

My Dreamcast was purchased when the PS2 was big (maybe just released). I wished I kept the system because I got buggar all for it when I sold it :cry:

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:55 pm

We got the same one as the OP, only it had Virtua Striker instead of UEFA Striker. The three games inside were like a "surprise" as only Chu Chu Rocket was advertised on the (standard, blue) box.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:38 pm

I bought mine second hand for I think it was £130. Managed to wangle a game with it as well. Bonus was when I opened the drive up, it had Sonic Adventure inside, so two for the price of one! It was unboxed unfortunately. Still, I loved my DC and I wish I never sold it.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

K1NGARTH3R

Post by K1NGARTH3R » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:11 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:We got the same one as the OP, only it had Virtua Striker instead of UEFA Striker. The three games inside were like a "surprise" as only Chu Chu Rocket was advertised on the (standard, blue) box.
Where did you buy it from?

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:58 am

Notice the box doesn't say Sega on it at all ?

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:05 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:Notice the box doesn't say Sega on it at all ?
did the dreamcast box ever said sega on it ?
http://segaretro.org/Sega_Dreamcast none of the box scans there do except the first american box
its just the dc swirl and the dreamcast name

the first european boxes are rather spartan
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:36 pm

adippm82 wrote:I got mine from EB, it is the Ultimate pack, it had the console, MSR, Jet Set Radio, and Virtu Fighter 3TB, a VMU unit, and controller, EB also threw in the RGB Scart, and Chu Chu Rocket.

I walked into the other Game in the City, and got Hydro Thunder, Virtua Tennis, Power Stone, Rush 2049, all for under £20 the lot, next was good old Woolworths, Shenmue & Quake 3 from there, £15 for the two, then Choices Video for Sega Rally 2, £5, TrickStyle, £2, Crazy Taxi, £8, then onto our short lived independent store, for Sonic Adventure £7, Soul Caliber, £9, a really great day.
A great day indeed. :D :D :D
snowkatt wrote:
SJ_Sathanas wrote:Notice the box doesn't say Sega on it at all ?
did the dreamcast box ever said sega on it ?
http://segaretro.org/Sega_Dreamcast none of the box scans there do except the first american box
its just the dc swirl and the dreamcast name
There's just the SEGA logo at the bottom on the box's rear panel.

Even in the blurb on the back of the box detailing system specs, etc, the name 'SEGA' is conspicuous by its absence.

No surprise, it could be said. Sega were toying with the idea of leaving their name off the Dreamcast console itself until very late in the console's design period as a result of how badly perceived the brand then was due to it having been tarnished from the Mega-CD, 32X and Saturn days. It was reputedly a last minute decision to feature the company's logo on the console.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:28 pm

K1NGARTH3R wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:We got the same one as the OP, only it had Virtua Striker instead of UEFA Striker. The three games inside were like a "surprise" as only Chu Chu Rocket was advertised on the (standard, blue) box.
Where did you buy it from?
It was either Dixons or Curry's or Comet, one of those three... 2001 this was.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.