"THAT" bit

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Treguard

Re: "THAT" bit

Post by Treguard » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:04 am

That sodding bit on Super Metroid where you have to do the super jump across the big lava lake. So finicky.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:08 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
snowkatt wrote:the stealth parts in mafia 2
aaaaaargh !
I never found those much of a bother, well at least in comparison to the couple of stealth sections in the original Mafia game which managed to be more frustrating (especially as you can only take a couple of hits before you die so you had to do them absolutely perfectly, no checkpoints either). But now you mention it, around chapter 3 of Mafia had a mandatory race which was a bastard to play originally on the PC, bloody tough to beat the AI drivers plus if you rolled over you basically lose on the spot as your character dies. Thankfully this was patched to introduce some extra difficulty levels to make things slightly easier.

Yeah that racing bit was crazy. Also earlier in the same level you had to get the car to the racetrack in a low time without any damage - very dificult.

There were a couple of bits in Mafia 2 where you had to drive at stupidly high speeds to get to a certain place in tome (the gasoline was one) but there were other more dificult ones (I think in one of the add-on packs). I guess part of it was getting the player to be familiar with the layout of the city, but still annoying

As for the stealth bits (iirc) it was always possible to take an alternative method and simply shoot everyone; nuch much more dificult, but also much more satisfying!

Both AMfia games are simply superb!
im currently in chapter 9 and have to stealth my way around a complex after getting garbage dumped on me
if i get to close to the guard dogs they will be alerted to my presence which is annoying

though the thing i find the most annoying about the stealth bits in mafia 2 is that they dont really belong there they are just bolted on the game but have no point in beloning there
there are no real steal mechanics
no way to hide or go up in your enviroment or interact with the enviroment
no way to look round corners
all you got are shadows the ability to walk slowly and stealth kills

the city of mafia 2 is a bit empty but then i dont like to drive around in mafia 2 anyway its the story here that captivating not the silly over the top mayhem of gta or sr
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:21 am

A couple of others that spring to mind:
The final two level of Megaman & Bass - Relentless boss battles one after another with few (if any) health pickups in a game where you don't get energy tanks. Still tied with Megaman 7 as the hardest final levels for me to complete.

The train level in Super Turrican - near the end of it you have to do a seemingly impossible jump to reach the next train. You basically have to walk off the edge and keep walking for a step or two (basically walking on thin air) and then jump to clear the gap :evil:

Recruiting Combo in Jet Set Radio - You only have to recruit the extra characters for your crew once, bar Combo and Cube whom are story characters so you have to replay their section again and again even when playing the new game plus mode. Unfortunately for Combo the race you have to do against Beat is probably the worst area to be racing on, one jump into a gate to the final area is so easily screwed up that a single mistake can cost you the race. To make matters worse there is no restart option in the in game menu so you have to quit out to the garage and then restart the event again manually from there :evil:
paranoid marvin wrote: Yeah that racing bit was crazy. Also earlier in the same level you had to get the car to the racetrack in a low time without any damage - very dificult.

There were a couple of bits in Mafia 2 where you had to drive at stupidly high speeds to get to a certain place in tome (the gasoline was one) but there were other more dificult ones (I think in one of the add-on packs). I guess part of it was getting the player to be familiar with the layout of the city, but still annoying

As for the stealth bits (iirc) it was always possible to take an alternative method and simply shoot everyone; nuch much more dificult, but also much more satisfying!

Both AMfia games are simply superb!
Ah yes, I forgot about that bit the night before the actual race, I failed that many times as well thanks to the insanely tight time limit along with the whole minimal damage thing. I did like cruising around the town at the dead of night though, especially on the PC version where there were several nice little details as you made your way to the race track.

I completely forgot about the gasoline bit in Mafia 2, your right that was a pain to do, even worse if your aiming for the achievement for hitting all the gas stations. The game rubs salt in your wound as the next chapter basically revealed your efforts were completely in vain!

Brilliant games otherwise though, still my two favourite "open world" games as far as atmosphere, characters and story goes.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:27 am

anyone remeber this from COD3?

"We've got to get across this road"
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:58 am

thebear wrote:anyone remeber this from COD3?

"We've got to get across this road"
I'll raise you Fairground on CoD4 with a terrible checkpoint glitch where if it checkpointed and you didn't have enough stuff? game over

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:30 am

koopa42 wrote:I'll raise you Fairground on CoD4 with a terrible checkpoint glitch where if it checkpointed and you didn't have enough stuff? game over
That reminded me of another bit in CoD4 right at the end of the game (penultimate chapter I think) where you had to get to a reactor (or something) within a strict time limit, but at the same time there were enemies perfectly positioned in all the corridors making it near impossible to progress quickly at higher diffifulties. That bit actually did make me stop playing the game as it was far too frustrating difficulty and checkpoint wise for me.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:15 am

Which leads onto another FPS trauma ..... Battlefield 2: Modern Combat :x I would have maxed both SP campaigns except the final mission is nearly impossible ..... and you have to play it TWICE because you do it as both sides or something. I did one, then poo'd

RitmanRovers

Post by RitmanRovers » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:02 am

Lovely thread!

Let's see:

- Every Spectrum game ever. Don't think I finished one.

- "The Library" and "Truth & Reconciliation" on Legendary in Halo. Seriously, just fck off.

- The stupid dreamy/ drug sections in Max Payne. In fact every single game that has a pointless, lengthy, slow-moving dream sequence. Yes FEAR, I'm looking at you. ARGHHHHH!

- The driving bits in Rage. It was FCKING *impossible* to tell where you were supposed to go, given that everything looked like rocky terrain and the route wasn't marked.

- The bomb-planting Strider/ Walker section at the end of HalfLife 2 Episode 2. I will never, EVER play that again.
Eat my boomstick

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:46 pm

RitmanRovers wrote: - "The Library" and "Truth & Reconciliation" on Legendary in Halo. Seriously, just fck off.
Yes to the above, as well as the Cortana level in Halo 3, I have never played the game since.
RitmanRovers wrote:- The bomb-planting Strider/ Walker section at the end of HalfLife 2 Episode 2. I will never, EVER play that again.
This nearly ruined the game for me, and I too have no desire to venture into that either.

And I probably will not go near Gears of War again because of that git Raam at the end.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:43 pm

Never got past that bit, it was like they went out of there way to make it annoying

Also ALL the vehicle sections in Half Life 2

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:52 pm

You were all right .... Queen censored on Duke Nukem. Could be a game killer, had about 2 hours at it earlier and just random deaths, getting caught on debris, instant death hits but then other time not? crap

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:53 pm

The bomb-planting Strider/ Walker section at the end of HalfLife 2 Episode 2. I will never, EVER play that again.
I almost quit at that point but the game was so good I had to keep going back

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:57 pm

snowkatt wrote:
SJ_Sathanas wrote:Anything that involves QTEs but especially Resi 4 with it's insta-deaths and nonskippable talkie bits. Except God of War an Vanquish as they don't expcet you to be a frickin' ninja.
oh god qte's
i hate qte's
each and every one off them i already didnt like resident evil 4 very much
the qte's are a millstoen round its neck that drag it down ( but unfortunally havent drowned the damn thing yet because 4 is where the series started its slide down in to the miserable wreck that is 6 )
I never beat the game on Professional as I simply could not physically do the QTEs. Even a turbo controller didn't always help as you'd have to hit a combination of buttons right after

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:24 pm

Any forced stealth section where if you are caught you have to try again. Just absolutely rubbish, especially in games not built for stealthy play.

Unbalanced end bosses in fighting games. Again another general note. Just completely unnessacary for a single player mode. I understand the arcade sensibility of eating as many coins as possible but that's why we have different difficulty settings. Sometimes I want to mash buttons when I'm angry or bored. I'll choose if I want to think things through.

The moment you fall through the floor in sonic 06. Very frustrating if you are on your last life. And the train level can bugger off as well.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:50 pm

Zelda: Skyward Sword - the first fight with Ghirahim - put me off playing the game as the sword WOULD NOT swipe in the direction I swiped it, ergo making the fight nigh on impossible for me!

Other then that not really had any that stopped me for toooooo long.

PSN username - MartinPhantom