Your Ideal Game

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Misery

Re: Your Ideal Game

Post by Misery » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:13 am

A few of my ideal games kinda already exist, like Minecraft and Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu.

Hm.... but if I had to think up some that dont already exist.....

1. A third Mushihime-sama game. Not counting the iOS one. That one is good, but it's more like Zelda + shmup, like a different genre.

2. A good, popular (so there's enough players) "moba" style game that actually SUPPORTS CONTROLLERS or is designed for them from the start. Specifically one that isnt Awesomenauts, which is already out and the PC version needs a mouse anyway. Mouse control is OK for these, but I seriously think that it's possible to have a really good one that can use controllers instead.

3. A sequel to Baroque. Not the really old Saturn/whatever version, I'm thinking of the PS2/Wii/iOS version. Love the heck outta it. Needs a sequel. Because I say so.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:21 am

I've always wanted an arcade multiplayer FPS with a LIGHT GUN. Kind of like Doom crossed with Virtua Cop. I think Resident Evil 4:Wii Edition is the closest example of what I mean, just without the multiplayer.
ImageImage

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Would love to see a Call of Cthuhlu game set in an open world environment (Bethesda style).

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:34 am

Star Wars Galaxies

but good :lol:

seriously

MMORPG, set in the classic star wars universe (not clone or old republic, but proper star wars)

go round loads of planets, buy upgrade and fly your own shiops in combat

What could go wrong?

Well pretty much everything as it turns out, but the idea done properly could be awesome
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Misery

Post by Misery » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:00 am

thebear wrote:Star Wars Galaxies

but good :lol:

seriously

MMORPG, set in the classic star wars universe (not clone or old republic, but proper star wars)

go round loads of planets, buy upgrade and fly your own shiops in combat

What could go wrong?

Well pretty much everything as it turns out, but the idea done properly could be awesome

I've always been rather baffled that Galaxies turned out the way it did in the first place. Alot of the best parts of Star Wars in general are action scenes with blasters going off every which way and speeder bikes and giant walking things and explosions....

.....so hey, let's make a game where you run out into the middle of the desert, punch space butterflies, and then have your Wookie character to back to town to craft shoes for awhile, followed by some dancing.

MAKES PERFECT SENSE.

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:37 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Fallout 3 set in a Frontier: Elite 2 universe of planets? With infinite character customisation? With the option of lots more planets being added as DLC (c'mon Publishers... Admit it. That got your interest! :P )

Set as first person or third person over-the-shoulder cover system combat?

WHAT'S NOT TO LOVE?!?!?!? :shock: :shock:
closest to that is the amazing Mass Effect trilogy[/quote]

Came here to post this. I love Elite, and am only just discovering the wonder that is Fallout 3 - got it last month and I reckon it's now in my top 5 of all time.

Elite ingredients - more a Elite - Frontier flavour as above, Trading, Space Combat, ship development, open world (galaxy?), but also other stuff like Multiplayer online, ship repair/maintenance, kinda dragging in elements from EVE online I guess. And Missions.
Fallout Ingredients - so after you dock/hit the planet surface, you're in FPS mode, with inventory/item management, talking (I beleive Mass Effect overdid this but never played it so dunno) with multiple brnaching story arcs, which morph depending on decisions made, side quests/missions.

It would also need to have this feature that Fallout 3/Just Cause 2/Red Dead redemption did very well - exploration. I'd like to see an open map with no markers on it, maybe just terrain features, so you can explore proplerly, and discover locations, outposts, settlers etc. Nothing better in Fallout 3 than seeing something way off in the distance and walking over there to discover a new Raider camp or similar.

Also love the FO3 method of mission structure, with loads of opportunities to double-cross people and influence future missions by siding with certain people etc. I'm also re-playing Vice City on the iPad, and FO3 is making that feel like Jet Set Willy in terms of mission structure.
So yeah when can I have that please?

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:39 am

What I enjoy most in the current generation are open world games with a vast world to explore, where I can follow the core missions when I see fit but also spend hours just exploring or following side quests.

With this in mind I have several ideal games that would blend the above gameplay style with some of my favourite movie franchises.

The first would be set in the Star Wars universe and effectively be GTA but with Han Solo as the protagonist. It would follow the story of Han Solo from the early days of him being an Imperial recruit, through to his freeing of Chewbacca, becoming a smuggler, winning the Millennium Falcon from Lando and ultimately meeting Luke and Obi-Wan in the Mos Eisley Cantina. The main story would end with the first Death Star battle. The game world would be a variety of planets and there would be a mixture of space travel/battles and side quests to earn money which might include typical scoundrel activities like smuggling, stealing, racing, gambling and so on. We’d also see him doing the Kessel run and find out how he ended up owing so much money to Jabba the Hutt!

Next up, how about an open world game in Middle Earth? I think a game centred on Gandalf would be great, starting with him as a young wizard learning all the tricks and going on a variety of quests based on Tolkien’s writings, before eventually progressing to his involvement in The Hobbit and LOTR. The key part of this would simply being able to fully explore all of Middle Earth at will, on horseback (Shadowfax of course!) which would be stunning…

I’d also love to see an open world game based on Back to the Future, with the game world being Hill Valley but with the ability to travel to any point in time to see how it develops and how events in the past change it in the future. The main gameplay could still focus on the three movies but there could be loads of quests that require you to go back in time to change something to affect a future event. There could be missions where you play as either Marty or the Doc, and also co-op missions that use both characters.
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

thebear

Post by thebear » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:34 am

witchfinder wrote: Next up, how about an open world game in Middle Earth? I think a game centred on Gandalf would be great, starting with him as a young wizard learning all the tricks and going on a variety of quests based on Tolkien’s writings, before eventually progressing to his involvement in The Hobbit and LOTR. The key part of this would simply being able to fully explore all of Middle Earth at will, on horseback (Shadowfax of course!) which would be stunning…

Haven't played it, but Middle Earth online?
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:45 pm

Lords of Midnight Skyrim style.

I know, I'm a bit obsessed with LoM at the moment....

Ninetyeightytwo

Post by Ninetyeightytwo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:41 am

skodathegreat wrote:Would love to see a Call of Cthuhlu game set in an open world environment (Bethesda style).
Oh lord yes.

But maybe beyond the Call of Cthulu world, it could just be an open world Lovecraft adventure?

Most of the action would take place in Arkham, but you could also travel to Innsmouth, Dulwich or, if you're feeling very adventurous, The Mountains of Madness.

Then, every time you fall asleep, you could enjoy a Dreamquest!

It. Would. Be. Perfect. Especially if they go for an authentic period setting rather than modernising it.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:16 am

thebear wrote:Haven't played it, but Middle Earth online?
Maybe, never played it either and never will as I don't play agmes on a PC and don't play online games generally, especially MMORPGs! I prefer games where I know everyone/thing I kill is not controlled by some nerdy teenager in Kansas... ;)
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:22 am

Ninetyeightytwo wrote:
skodathegreat wrote:Would love to see a Call of Cthuhlu game set in an open world environment (Bethesda style).
Oh lord yes.

But maybe beyond the Call of Cthulu world, it could just be an open world Lovecraft adventure?

Most of the action would take place in Arkham, but you could also travel to Innsmouth, Dulwich or, if you're feeling very adventurous, The Mountains of Madness.
Er... Dunwich, surely? Then again, The Dulwich Horror has a certain ring to it.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:38 pm

A sequel to Enclave; loved that game, it was good, honest fun.

Monster World, developed by Bethesda. But keeping the tone and style of the series.

An FPS based around UNIT from Doctor Who, with loads of classic monsters to shoot/blow up.

An Excel Saga RPG. Loads of room for great parodies and assorted madness.

And while it doesn't fall into the category of 'new', I'd be all over Touhou on XBLA like a rash.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:44 pm

I would like Telltale games to pick up the "My Name is Earl" license for a series of point and click adventure games. They have proven they can do justice to a license and te story of my name is earl is ripe with ideas and characters that could be used.

I love that show.
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Ninetyeightytwo

Post by Ninetyeightytwo » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:24 pm

Matt_B wrote:
Ninetyeightytwo wrote:
Oh lord yes.

Er... Dunwich, surely? Then again, The Dulwich Horror has a certain ring to it.

Yes. Dunwich. Surely. Thank you.