This gen RPG's

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ZXSabreman

This gen RPG's

Post by ZXSabreman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:25 am

After the thread on Skyrim and the obvious love some of you have for it I wondered what other RPG's this gen you have played and in your opinion are worth getting. My top four role playing games this gen would be

1 - Dark Souls (completed several times)
2 - Dragons Dogma (the one i'm currently playing)
3 - Demons Souls (completed)
4 - Dragon Age Origins Ultimate Edition (with all downloadable add ons) (completed)

I recently purchased Two Worlds 2 which simply put I don't like it, Dragon Age 2 is also not great, certainly no where near as good as the original, saying that I did play through it. So what else is worth looking into
"Time fades even legend..."

HalcyonDaze00

Re: This gen RPG's

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:05 pm

Mass Effect trilogy
Skyrim
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Kingdoms of Amalur

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:37 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Mass Effect trilogy
Skyrim
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Kingdoms of Amalur
Forgot about Kingdoms of Amular, much like Skyrim a game i've put quite a few hours into but just found it a little lacking so gave up on it
"Time fades even legend..."

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:06 pm

The Last Story. Utterly fantastic RPG and frankly how to make them today. Wonderful battle system and a fast, flowing plot with great visuals.

Xenoblade. Another fantastic RPG. Finally brought the Japanese RPG into this generation and added so many cool ideas. Would look amazing in HD.

Persona 4 Golden. Cheating a little but absolutely brilliant social RPG and dungeon crawler.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:20 pm

The only RPGs I've played this gen are...

The Last Story - a brilliant, fast-paced modern RPG which plunders game elements from everything from Final Fantasy to Gears of War.

Pandora's Tower - trailed as an action RPG though it's very heavy on action and very light on RPG. It's still great though.

Skyward Sword - Does anyone class these as RPGs any more? Who knows, but if they do then this was my favourite this gen and the best Zelda for ages.

Dragon Quest IX - I found this overrated. A boring story and tons of grinding do not make for a classic RPG.

Xenoblade Chronicles - massively overrated IMO. I just could not get my head around the game at all. One for JRPG fiends, who in fairness will probably adore it.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:24 pm

So Xenoblade is not overrated, you just couldn't get your head around it. :p
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:24 pm

1 - Fragile Dreams: Maybe it's a stretch to call this one an RPG, it's more of an adventure game. That said it's still the most unique game I've played this gen, it left a really lasting impression on me.

2 - Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward: Again, not what would traditionally qualify as an RPG, it's more of a visual novel. Don't care though, everyone should play it

3 - Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention: seriously hardcore SRPG, the best on the market.

4 - Skyrim. Cause, you know. Dragons.

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:35 pm

nakamura wrote:So Xenoblade is not overrated, you just couldn't get your head around it. :p
Well... yeah.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

dste

Post by dste » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:49 pm

I've bought quite a few this gen but somehow I've only managed to play through one of them which is The Last Story and I absolutely loved it.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:59 pm

Tales of Graces F - The characters may seem a little childish but the overall story is engaging enough to carry you through and there's plenty of typical JRPG humor to entertain. Very fast paced, deep battle system with a lot of content makes it a win!

Dark Souls - Provided you like being slapped in the face for every tiny mistake you make.

The World Ends With You - Don't be put off by the fact it's on the DS. I could gush about it till the world stops turning! Incredibly original in all aspects and most definitely the best thing i've played from Square in years.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

StickHead

Post by StickHead » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:12 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:The World Ends With You - Don't be put off by the fact it's on the DS. I could gush about it till the world stops turning! Incredibly original in all aspects and most definitely the best thing i've played from Square in years.
This is out on iOS, too. I'm tempted... care to gush a little more?
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:39 pm

Too Human. I know it doesn't have many fans on here, but the story is very good (although it does require an understanding of Norse mythology and Nietsche to really get the most out of it) and the combat works well once you get used to it. It's a shame the trilogy never got completed.

Torchlight. Such a good dungeon crawler, and on XBLA to boot.

Dungeon Hunter Alliance. Ok, so nobody in their right mind would pay the full asking price for this, but get it at a reduced price and there's a lot to enjoy, even if it is a little basic.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:14 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Mass Effect trilogy
Skyrim
Fallout 3
Fallout New Vegas
Kingdoms of Amalur
Exactly the same list. And chuck Red Dead Redemption on there too.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Neilos626

Post by Neilos626 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:00 pm

give any of the following a try

Enchanted arms
blue dragon
eternal sonata
sacred 2
tales of symphonia
Flux Capacitors wanted email MartyMcFly1985@greatscott.net

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:56 pm

Not played many this generation, but these are my favourites so far...

Lost Odyssey
Nier
Star Ocean The Last Hope