Sony patents pre-owned games block

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DoraemonTheCat

Re: Sony patents pre-owned games block

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:08 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:i was just looking up if there was any new info and an interesting thing i saw was that when this news became widespread gamestop's shares dropped off the back of it (i've seen 5,6 and 7%),that's just from a patent and no solid facts of if it would be used or not.

one source: http://www.t3.com/news/sony-pre-owned-g ... stock-drop

i wonder if sony are seriously considering this what they make of that.
Love how that last sentence says exactly what I said in an earlier post.

Dreamer

Post by Dreamer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:20 am

DoraemonTheCat wrote:
Dreamer wrote:I don't understand why some people think that this would spell the end for Sony if they were to go through with their "pre-owned games block" (not that i'd care too much if it did)
I reckon most people would just learn to deal with it, and you'd have to as i'm pretty sure that if Sony were to go through with it then Microsoft would soon follow.

I couldn't stand Steam at first and refused to use it. In the end i had no choice due to most of the games that i wanted to play requiring Steam so i just bit the bullet and dealt with it. If you buy a retail PC game (physical copy) now, then there's a good chance that it will require a Steam account, and once you've installed it and used the Steam Key then you can no longer sell the game as to anyone else it just becomes a useless piece of plastic.Yet that hasn't killed PC gaming. If anything Steam's given PC gaming a boost.

Now don't get me wrong, i'd much prefer all of my games to be physical copy's and have zero BS DRM associated with them, but the chances are that in a decade or less we'll all have no other choice than buying our games digitally so we may as well get used to it now. It's the Future! :twisted:
Gonna have to disagree to a point

The PSP GO failed and died a death - mostly due to certain shops (the ones that generally sell 2nd hand games) refusing to either stock it or promote it the weay Sony wanted it to be promoted - this happening as soon as these retailers realised what it would mean. Then, thanks to forums like this, "those in the know" i.e not Joe Casual - who saw the prices, and all the other who-ha (wasn't there something about having to own a copy of a PS game if you wanted to download it - there was something, but I can't remember what it was, and then there were the prices of the games............. ot surprisingly, It died a very quick death

I don't think SONY would implement a "Block" in a future console, as they MUST have learnt from the PSP Go experience, surely - could they really be that stupid NOT to have learnt an expensive lesson?? Well, saying that - this is SONY we're talking about, I wouldn't put it past them given their recent decision history.

You are right, it wouldn't be the end of Sony, they would still have a slice of the casual market that couldn't care less - only those more inclined and against the idea would migrate to a rival co, such as Microsoft or Nintendo. And this would be a great selling point for either of those companies, so I don't think that they would naturally follow suit.

The last sentence reminds me of the SF console days - It was only ever going to be on a Nintendo machine, then lo and behold, Capcom got round it by changing the title - hence forth, lots of people were not locked into having to own a SNES to play the game on, they could opt for the Megadive if they much prefered that machine.

I doubt Sony will go through with it as i think Sony and Microsoft are far more likely to both release a standard machine and one without an optical drive designed for downloads only.

Though i can't see retailers like GAME standing in their way if they did decide to go through with it, especially if Microsoft chose to do the same, as GAME's on life support as it is and i doubt they could survive off of selling only Nintendo games and systems. There's plenty of alternatives like super markets and online stores to purchase games from and i'm sure that Sony and Microsoft know that.
Game retailers rely on Sony , Microsoft and Nintendo for them to even exist whereas Sony , Microsoft and Nintendo have plenty of other alternatives to shift their games.

Tbh i don't know why anyone would want to buy their games from places like GAME and Gamestop, unless they enjoy spending far more money than they really need to?. The sooner they go under the better imo.

Steve1982

Post by Steve1982 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:46 pm

I've been a devoted PlayStation fan from the moment I unwrapped my PS1 and have purchased every Sony Console and handheld released since. You can imagine my excitement at the prospect of PS4 later this year. However, a few days ago, I heard a rumour that all new games will need to be registered to a single online PSN account before you can play them. Just so an end can be put to pre-owned games.
Most people, myself included, have to save to buy a new game. A lot of families rely on pre-owned games, especially at this time of year. Now Sony is telling us we have to be online in order to play a game we have just paid fifty to sixty pounds for. If this rumour is true then sales of the next gen consoles will plummet surely. Please tell me I'm worrying for nothing, or are my twenty plus years of gaming coming to an end?

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/38 ... ned-games/

Tabe

Post by Tabe » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Dreamer wrote:once you've installed it and used the Steam Key then you can no longer sell the game as to anyone else it just becomes a useless piece of plastic.
Yet that hasn't killed PC gaming. If anything Steam's given PC gaming a boost.
The reason for that is that there wasn't much of a used game market for PC games to begin with. In retail shops in the US, there was basically NO used game market. That's a HUGE contrast to console gaming where there's a giant used game market in retail shops.

Tabe

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:16 pm

Steve1982 wrote:I've been a devoted PlayStation fan from the moment I unwrapped my PS1 and have purchased every Sony Console and handheld released since. You can imagine my excitement at the prospect of PS4 later this year. However, a few days ago, I heard a rumour that all new games will need to be registered to a single online PSN account before you can play them. Just so an end can be put to pre-owned games.
Most people, myself included, have to save to buy a new game. A lot of families rely on pre-owned games, especially at this time of year. Now Sony is telling us we have to be online in order to play a game we have just paid fifty to sixty pounds for. If this rumour is true then sales of the next gen consoles will plummet surely. Please tell me I'm worrying for nothing, or are my twenty plus years of gaming coming to an end?

If you're paying fifty to sixty pounds for ANY new release these days you seriously need to shop around :shock: :shock:

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:58 pm

Rayne wrote:
Steve1982 wrote:I've been a devoted PlayStation fan from the moment I unwrapped my PS1 and have purchased every Sony Console and handheld released since. You can imagine my excitement at the prospect of PS4 later this year. However, a few days ago, I heard a rumour that all new games will need to be registered to a single online PSN account before you can play them. Just so an end can be put to pre-owned games.

If you're paying fifty to sixty pounds for ANY new release these days you seriously need to shop around :shock: :shock:
Yeah, STOP SHOPPING IN HMV!!!!!!!

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:26 am

Even HMV prices are no where near that, about the same as Game.

The most expensive standard edition current gen games I've ever seen are the recent Call of Duty's at £44.99.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:15 am

The one thing that annoys me about this is what about if my machine messes up and destroys my copy of I dunno lets say GTA 6 and its out of production oh dear unless I wanna download it am screwed.
sony need to realise that some times your machine screws up so what if your game DON'T, well then I go out and buy em all again and yeah you can say they will link them to your PSN little tip sony not every one uses the internet on there consoles due to useage or not having home internet
This guy are sick

ulala

Post by ulala » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:52 am

It will certainly throw up very strange scenarios, none of which seem to favor the customer.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:54 am

stayAwhile wrote:The one thing that annoys me about this is what about if my machine messes up and destroys my copy of I dunno lets say GTA 6 and its out of production oh dear unless I wanna download it am screwed.
sony need to realise that some times your machine screws up so what if your game DON'T, well then I go out and buy em all again and yeah you can say they will link them to your PSN little tip sony not every one uses the internet on there consoles due to useage or not having home internet
I'd imagine that they'd have those angles covered. Going by Sony's previous efforts on PCs, including the much loathed SecuROM, you'd probably get several installs before a game was considered used up. After that, you'd have to phone up their customer support and request additional ones, which ought to be a smooth process so long as nobody's tried to activate the same game 14,000 times.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:34 am

Matt_B wrote:
stayAwhile wrote:The one thing that annoys me about this is what about if my machine messes up and destroys my copy of I dunno lets say GTA 6 and its out of production oh dear unless I wanna download it am screwed.
I'd imagine that they'd have those angles covered. Going by Sony's previous efforts on PCs, including the much loathed SecuROM, you'd probably get several installs before a game was considered used up. After that, you'd have to phone up their customer support and request additional ones, which ought to be a smooth process so long as nobody's tried to activate the same game 14,000 times.
This guy are sick